Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody successfully gotten a priority bump after purchasing a MS/MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I brother recently bought a model S, should I have him reserve a 3? Would that put him ahead of my reservation (launch day online).
We're both in southern CA.

Nobody knows for sure, but many people speculate that within a given geographic area, all owners will be ahead of non-owners, even if the owners reserved quite late and the non-owners have an early reservation. But this is still largely speculation and Tesla does not publicly talk about their algorithm for determining this. (And it seems that very few people -- or perhaps even nobody -- inside Tesla actually knows the answer... I think to a certain extent they're taking it one day at a time in there.)

So if I brother recently bought a model S, should I have him reserve a 3? Would that put him ahead of my reservation (launch day online).
We're both in southern CA.
If I were you, I would have your brother put another deposit. And then wait to see who gets the invitation first. Then you just cancel one of the reservations and get your money back.

Nobody knows for sure, but many people speculate that within a given geographic area, all owners will be ahead of non-owners, even if the owners reserved quite late and the non-owners have an early reservation. But this is still largely speculation and Tesla does not publicly talk about their algorithm for determining this. (And it seems that very few people -- or perhaps even nobody -- inside Tesla actually knows the answer... I think to a certain extent they're taking it one day at a time in there.)

If I were you, I would have your brother put another deposit. And then wait to see who gets the invitation first. Then you just cancel one of the reservations and get your money back.

Going to ask my brother!

Mine updated as well!

Now showing Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 availability for first production!
and Dual Motor Aug-Oct instead of Oct-Dec.

Oh man.... holding out for AWD is going to be way too hard......

listed.png

I was a day 1 online reservation holder and live in CA. My M3 reservation said Feb-Apr after they did the recalc. I took delivery of a MS last month, it updated today Dec-Feb.

I have to assume it is because of the MS purchase showing in the system.

I just checked my Delivery Estimator and I too see a change as of this morning!
First Production has been changed from May-July to December-February.
Standard Battery - no change, still Mid 2018.
The AWD has changed from 2019 to August-October 2018!

Last edited:
Mine updated as well!

Now showing Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 availability for first production!
and Dual Motor Aug-Oct instead of Oct-Dec.

Oh man.... holding out for AWD is going to be way too hard......

listed.png

Very cool. Your new dates are my current dates. I haven't taken delivery of my CPO S yet, so I can't get a bump. Even if I had.....I'm holding out for Performance now. Waiting for next fall will be rough, but now I have an S to distract me. It's just a very expensive fidget spinner for grownups!

:D:D

Mine also updated, finally! Went from Apr-Jun 2018 to Dec-Feb 2018 for first production, in line with what other people are seeing. I'm an East coast owner with 1/3/2017 reservation date.

Now, I need something else to complain about... How about the accuracy of the estimates? Yeah, that's an easy target. I mean, obviously they're not delivering my M3 in December... what a complete screw-up. ;)

Woke up to schedule update. Same now as cbutters--December/February; Mid-2018; August/October 2018. When we placed our order in showroom the computers didn't pick us up as a current owner although same email used. Got straight across the board dates in I think Late 2019. Told it would be corrected to reflect ownership and we'd see update. Nothing til now. Hoped with these first batch of deliveries to previous owners just about ready for delivery the system would update us. Need to have my 2001 ICE make it until delivery of the 3 and wondering if it will make another summer to get the AWD/SAS. Don't want to put any more $s into it at this point. Ah decisions. Hoping to get a test drive before our invite shows up. I love our S with AWD and SAS (lots of in town/ parking lot speed bumps here and incline to our garage) and wondering how different it would be without.

I honestly suspect the cars are getting produced faster than media thinks.

Last edited:
Based on all these updates and assuming that majority of current owners are slated for the first quarter availability of each configuration, I guess we can make the following conclusions about the Model 3 production schedule:

1. The Model 3 production is truly ramping up to the levels sufficient to supply cars to all (or most) existing Tesla owners, reservation holders in the next 2-3 months.

2. The AWD production is currently slated to ramp up by August. (Or as early as June for some.)

3. There is some uncertainty about when the Standard Battery configuration will become available (sometime in Mid 2018, or earlier, but no specific 3-month window).

Last edited:
2. The AWD production is currently slated to begin in August.
My delivery estimate for AWD is currently June - August 2018 so I think they'd have to start production before August. Previously, it was May - July 2018.
3. There is some uncertainty about when the Standard Battery configuration will become available (sometime in Mid 2018: no specific 3-month window).
My delivery estimate for Standard Battery has changed to Early 2018.

My delivery estimate for AWD is currently June - August 2018 so I think they'd have to start production before August. Previously, it was May - July 2018.

My delivery estimate for Standard Battery has changed to Early 2018.

Ok, thanks! Good to hear that it may happen earlier, at least for some. I have corrected my post.
However, still no definitive 3-month window for the Standard Battery configuration. Just vague Mid or Early 2018.