Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have major issues with Tesla Energy? (Re-roofing after install)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’ll try to keep this brief, but I’m hoping someone else has been through this and has a recommendation...

Facts: I’m located in CA and had Tesla install a ~4.3kw system 3.5yrs ago. I was my own advisor as I worked for the company at that time. We are now facing the reality that we need to replace our roof. Tesla came back with a $4500+ lift/reinstall cost which is nearly ~1/3 of our original out of pocket cost to go solar after tax credits.

At this point, I’ve gotten roofing quotes and quotes for lifting/reinstalling the panels from various companies including one company that does both (best case scenario). Tesla’s estimate for lift/reinstall is +36% the next highest local quote. The contract states that lift/reinstall would be at a “competitive price.”

Firstly, I don’t see a +36% cost being very competitive. The home likely should have been disqualified due to the condition of the roof, but no one Willa emit that. Also, the original install that was done wasn’t the best either as I’m now seeing variations in mounting puck locations and general unevenness. You start to finally notice this stuff when you’re thinking about roofs all day. At the same time, I worry that Tesla will take my warranty away if I have this done by a 3rd party. It’s just is a headache in the making.

Has anyone else been through this? Any luck getting Tesla to budge on their quotes? I’ve reached out to prior leadership, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s insane though, I can almost buy a whole new system at these prices...

So, I’ll try to keep this brief, but I’m hoping someone else has been through this and has a recommendation...

Facts: I’m located in CA and had Tesla install a ~4.3kw system 3.5yrs ago. I was my own advisor as I worked for the company at that time. We are now facing the reality that we need to replace our roof. Tesla came back with a $4500+ lift/reinstall cost which is nearly ~1/3 of our original out of pocket cost to go solar after tax credits.

At this point, I’ve gotten roofing quotes and quotes for lifting/reinstalling the panels from various companies including one company that does both (best case scenario). Tesla’s estimate for lift/reinstall is +36% the next highest local quote. The contract states that lift/reinstall would be at a “competitive price.”

Firstly, I don’t see a +36% cost being very competitive. The home likely should have been disqualified due to the condition of the roof, but no one Willa emit that. Also, the original install that was done wasn’t the best either as I’m now seeing variations in mounting puck locations and general unevenness. You start to finally notice this stuff when you’re thinking about roofs all day. At the same time, I worry that Tesla will take my warranty away if I have this done by a 3rd party. It’s just is a headache in the making.

Has anyone else been through this? Any luck getting Tesla to budge on their quotes? I’ve reached out to prior leadership, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s insane though, I can almost buy a whole new system at these prices...
I have always heard that if a roof is over 10 years old, replace before solar. How old was roof when the solar was put on?
Good luck

I wouldn't say you are having major issues with Telsa, you just are not happy with the price. Keep in mind that installing a solar system has more labor cost than material cost and you are doing double the job. They have to come and take it off the roof and safely store it and then they have to come back another day and install it and make sure everything is working. And comparing it to buying new after tax incentives is wrong...

I havent read anyone having this specific problem, but, OP you mentioned this "in passing" but you said:

The home likely should have been disqualified due to the condition of the roof, but no one Willa emit that. .

If I had to guess, that would have been in part because you were a tesla employee. They should have made you re roof before you got solar back then, so this is costs you would have absorbed back then.

I am not making excuses, but just pointing out that not doing it then, is costing you now. If no one told you "the roof is marginal" back then, and just installed on top of it, thats unfortunate.

if You (a former tesla employee who has access to names we dont) are not able to escalate this anywhere, its unlikely anyone else would have better success.

Back on topic, perhaps if you presented tesla with your quotes, they might either let you pay separately (for lower cost) or reduce their cost? They are probably just quoting you whatever their sub contractor is quoting, which has a "tesla tax" built into it

I'll repeat a story I've told before. I purchased an investment property in AZ a year ago. It had Solar City solar on it installed less than 5 years before I purchased it. We discovered that roof needed to be redone during the purchasing process. It had a tile roof, the tiles were fine but the underlayment was shot. Solar should have not been installed on that house. Lucky for me that original Solar City contract had a provision for $500 removal/reinstall. Tesla initially told me that they could not schedule a removal for many months but I was pleasantly surprised when they came through with an earlier time. They subcontracted the work but they honored the original price. Since this was an investment property I couldn't follow everything as closely as I would normally. I recently noticed that pictures of the solar doesn't match what is in the satellite photos and I just got Tesla to send me the original design. They said that the reinstall should have been identical, so I have new mystery to solve.

The current prices are ridiculously cheap, I've looked around a little bit I don't I can buy the parts for the cost Tesla is charging for the whole thing installed. As an aside I expect Tesla will give me a great deal on a "leased" system that should be ending in a couple of years. They're on the hook to remove and restore the roof, given what they charge for the removal I think they'll practical give it to me. I've also hired a "wrench" (I believe that is a term renewable energy installers sometimes used) to do some work on my non-Tesla solar install. CA labor cost is not cheap.

I would consider giving up the Tesla hardware warranty for a lower lift and reinstall cost. Odds are the manufacturers warranty will still apply anyway.

Some good points here. So far I haven’t gotten any responses from anyone from Tesla. Unfortunately nearly everyone that was on energy when I made the move from automotive has left the company. It sounds like best case is to provide quotes for lift/reinstall to prove their “market rate” is far from that and/or abandon Tesla warranties.

As an advocate and prior salesperson, I drank my own koolaid and am now experiencing some of the same issues other owners run into. The house shouldn’t have qualified to begin with is my guess, so now I’m paying for that. We were also told early on that these jobs were relatively cheap ($1-2k) and I have a hard time thinking these costs more than doubled over the last few years.

We’re still getting quotes and will reach out to insurance tomorrow as this was wind damage to begin with. Fingers crossed, I can pay a $2k deductible rather than a full roof.

Some good points here. So far I haven’t gotten any responses from anyone from Tesla. Unfortunately nearly everyone that was on energy when I made the move from automotive has left the company. It sounds like best case is to provide quotes for lift/reinstall to prove their “market rate” is far from that and/or abandon Tesla warranties.

As an advocate and prior salesperson, I drank my own koolaid and am now experiencing some of the same issues other owners run into. The house shouldn’t have qualified to begin with is my guess, so now I’m paying for that. We were also told early on that these jobs were relatively cheap ($1-2k) and I have a hard time thinking these costs more than doubled over the last few years.

We’re still getting quotes and will reach out to insurance tomorrow as this was wind damage to begin with. Fingers crossed, I can pay a $2k deductible rather than a full roof.
Your story changes as it goes. First you thought it should have been disqualified and now it turns out storm damage caused the issue. This isn't an issue other homeowners are facing, nor is it a koolaid thing. Your roof was damaged in a storm and you're not happy with the price Tesla quoted you which sounds roughly $1000 more than other contractors quoted you. There isn't a contractor in the country you would want to hire who would charge you $1000 for a few days labor for his crew.

I’m not sure what changed here. Roof needs replacement bc it’s shot. Roofers have shown me that every single cap is cracked down the center. On top of that, the last straw was 3x10’ section coming off. This ish doesn’t happen to a roof that’s in good condition.

Like I said previously, the roof needs replacement and Tesla’s quote is high. As others have mentioned, a new roof would’ve been key prior to install. Just because I’m looking for alternatives to save money doesn’t mean the story has changed.

Your story changes as it goes. First you thought it should have been disqualified and now it turns out storm damage caused the issue. This isn't an issue other homeowners are facing, nor is it a koolaid thing. Your roof was damaged in a storm and you're not happy with the price Tesla quoted you which sounds roughly $1000 more than other contractors quoted you. There isn't a contractor in the country you would want to hire who would charge you $1000 for a few days labor for his crew.

Hopefully you can claim it on homeowners insurance since you are saying its wind damage. I know I told my homeowners insurance I had solar panels on my roof, and they increased my premium, even though mine are leased. That tells me that there is some chance something could happen they have to pay for on my roof (lol).

I would try both of those angles (wind damage, hopefully covered by insurance with deductible, and giving tesla the quotes to either reduce their price or let me do it outside of them, still keeping all warranties).

Tesla is the worst company to deal with when it comes to its solar systems. The system I have installed in our home is causing incredible amounts of RFI into my home and they refuse to resolve the issue. I've been trying for 3 years, and all they can say is that the system is working. I have opened complaints with the FCC, which really won't amount to much, but it's all I have at this point. Anyone that has ever asked about our solar install, I tell them to run away from Tesla. DO NOT PURCHASE TESLA solar systems unless you enjoy headaches.

Tesla is the worst company to deal with when it comes to its solar systems. The system I have installed in our home is causing incredible amounts of RFI into my home and they refuse to resolve the issue. I've been trying for 3 years, and all they can say is that the system is working. I have opened complaints with the FCC, which really won't amount to much, but it's all I have at this point. Anyone that has ever asked about our solar install, I tell them to run away from Tesla. DO NOT PURCHASE TESLA solar systems unless you enjoy headaches.
First time I have ever heard something like this. Can you give more details. Since lots of folks use this stuff, if there were issues like this, seems others would have made comments. what does not work?

Did they mount the blade disconnects and other wall-stuff near your internet WiFi or something? Or are the panels turning your home into a 4G dead spot?

I'm curious the symptoms of the RFI that you're talking about. I've always wondered if a whole Tesla Roof or a bunch of panels end up acting like a faraday cage to block transmissions.

I developed a WiFi dead-spot near my garage where Sunrun put in their blade disconnects. Luckily the only device that seemed to seriously suffer was wireless security camera that only worked after I dropped it to the 2.4 GHz band. But I can imagine the potential frustration if the solar install happened to put big honking RFI sources near my office or bedroom creating dead zones.

Did they mount the blade disconnects and other wall-stuff near your internet WiFi or something? Or are the panels turning your home into a 4G dead spot?

I'm curious the symptoms of the RFI that you're talking about. I've always wondered if a whole Tesla Roof or a bunch of panels end up acting like a faraday cage to block transmissions.

I developed a WiFi dead-spot near my garage where Sunrun put in their blade disconnects. Luckily the only device that seemed to seriously suffer was wireless security camera that only worked after I dropped it to the 2.4 GHz band. But I can imagine the potential frustration if the solar install happened to put big honking RFI sources near my office or bedroom creating dead zones.
But if telsa roof did this, would you not assume others would have commented if a issue?

No problem on our SolarRoof + 2 PowerWall install. We have a lot of Wifi gear and IoT devices on 2.4Ghz and 5 Hz. All works great both before and after the install. We also have voice and video recording facilities that were unaffected by the solar install.

You seem pretty sure of this. What frequencies is being emitted? Is it coming from the panels? The optimizers? The inverter? The Powerwall? The Gateway 2? The Zigbee IoT gateway?

How did you measure and isolate the emission?

You did see he only has one post, right:rolleyes:

Sure I noticed, possible troll, but everyone starts with one post.

I will be extremely surprised if any of the components are unintentionally leaking RF, but some do have Zigbee and WiFi signal emissions. I'm curious to see if there is any meat there and felt it was best to address head on. Re-reading the OP, there is mention of headaches and when I read this originally I thought it meant problems, but maybe this means an actual headache which in that case.....

Sure I noticed, possible troll, but everyone starts with one post.

I will be extremely surprised if any of the components are unintentionally leaking RF, but some do have Zigbee and WiFi signal emissions. I'm curious to see if there is any meat there and felt it was best to address head on. Re-reading the OP, there is mention of headaches and when I read this originally I thought it meant problems, but maybe this means an actual headache which in that case.....

The one thing I will say I'm not happy about with my powerwalls is that sometime in December they changed the frequency output and SOC threshold when off grid. It used to be rock solid 60 Hz until it got to about 98.5% and then it would rise to 60.4 to shut off the inverter.

Then they changed it so that it started rising to 62.5Hz after 80% which causes communication failures in my powerline controlled lighting and lots of flickering. If it's not 62.5 Hz, it was 59.6Hz....so basically never 60Hz anymore when off grid no matter what. I did get them to lower the max to 61Hz, but stuff still flickers. Basically my Insteon home automation devices are completely useless now when off grid.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
I've had my v2 solar roof installed for ~3 weeks short of 2 years, haven't had any RFI issues at all, and I have a ton of electronics in my house. A hobby of mine is high-power rocketry so I set up a bunch of GPS trackers for recovering the rockets, and I haven't even seen any more difficulty in getting the GPS receivers to lock inside the house.