Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else pondering Model 3 to Y when it lands in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model 3, almost a year in now and still think Tesla is miles ahead of the other car manufacturers when it comes to electric vehicles. However, with a puppy incoming within the month I'm considering potential strategies. Short term we'll use the wife's Clio when transporting the dog and I may acquire one of the hammocks for the back seats of the Model 3. I'm pondering one of 2 longer term strategies though. Option 1 is to replace the Model 3 with the Model Y when it's available - hatchback for the dog, higher driving position, more load carrying space. I'm not sure it would be quite as much fun as my Model 3, and based on photos of the Y I'm fairly sure I prefer the sleeker look of the Model 3 too. But practicality may win the day. Option 2 is to keep the Model 3 and replace the Clio with a slightly bigger car with more loadspace for the mutt. Think small SUV. However, the fact remains that for longer road trips ie to Scotland or France, we'd more often than not want to take the dog with us and I'd prefer to use an EV than a ICE, hence the Model Y thinking. Option 3 of keeping the Model 3 and adding a Model Y is unlikely to be affordable, I have thought about that too :)

Anyone else pondering a 3 to Y move whenever it's due to arrive here?

Yes! We moved to a one car family a few years back. Currently dogless but would love to have one join our family in a year or so. Will be dependent on how Tesla would offer exchange of our Model 3 which is almost a year old too now! If too stingy, we might have to remain dogless :( .

Definitely will change. The model Y is what the 3 should have been. Much better looking too. I still grimace everytime I see the front of the Model 3!

tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

The front is near enough the same on them...

Reactions: Xdama and browellm
Model Y is too wide for Wiltshire's back roads, so probably not unless we move.
I'm sure there are only 1 or 2 inches additional width on the Y vs the 3 so doubt it would be that much of a problem,
According to Wikipedia the Model Y is 71mm wider than the 3. On country roads, even the 3 can feel uncomfortably wide.

Reactions: Adopado
tesla-model-y-vs-tesla-model-3.jpg

The front is near enough the same on them...
This is similar to the time I had to change my C class to the GLC due to another addition to our family.
IMG-20180531-WA0000.jpg

Changing it wasn't done out of choice, and I still miss it. Hopefully, when I take delivery of the model 3 I can finally let it go.

Defo wouldn't do the change again, no matter how "similar" the cars are!

Reactions: Neilio
My M3 lease is up in about a year but Leaseplan will let me informally extend for as long as I want
How does that work, you keep the same contract? I'm a year in to 2 year lease with them, and because they doubled my mileage when I asked for free - I think I would quite like the option of extending!

As for OP, I'm currently planning on going to Model Y from 3. Need more room, and higher access would be so much better for kid(s) (and grandparents).

Currently the 3 is fine for us with 3yr old and the dog on back seat - but she's only a Scottie.