Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret not opting for performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8B800944-79B6-45CE-8E79-914CDCA01893.jpeg

Oh yeah?

ß

Last edited:
Yes, exactly! Tires, rims, suspension, and brakes this will improve driving and acceleration on any vehicle.

Isn’t most of that already available at some level?

I want some of that stuff too, but tuners (and other automobile vendors) are in an arms race with Tesla security and Tesla knows it's easy revenue.

Mine would definitely be software based, namely OTA updates.That allows you to not be at the whim of Tesla. Power electronics and software allowing for unlocking better performance would be second. Perhaps even motor/hardware swapouts.

well not until about 2 days ago when I saw the video of the S 3 X Y drag race. When I saw how slow the Performance Y was compared to the other 3 models and I know mine (non performance) is even slower, I started having some pangs. However, I have since decided that when the new roadster comes out AND Tesla stock is at $15K or something outrageous, then maybe I'll get a Roadster. Maybe...
Of course, then the rational brain kicks in and says when would you get to use the 1.9 second 0-60? Right now, I get to enjoy the acceleration up to highway speeds for maybe 3 seconds. In the Roadster, it'd be maybe 1 second. But it would be a real fun 1 second.

My Y is plenty quick, just not stupid quick.

This.

to OP -- if you are asking the question - you really want a performance. Its the most exciting car ive ever driven and ive had performance vehicles and dogs. When I bought my BMW 650 convertible a few years ago the BMW dealer owner (a friend of a friend) said to me when I was deciding on the 6 or 8 cylinder - he said -- you want to be excited EVERY TIME you enter the vehicle - think about what excites you! Don't you know it - every time I get in my 6 series im excited by the acceleration - and growl.. Same thing for the model Y PUP - without growl :). Its fantastic to drive - I thought the 21's would suck - but just the opposite -- the car takes off like a rocket - nobody is faster than you on the road - period - and you feel like there is no friction at all between you and the road... IF that excites you and IF you have the cash - don't settle. Ive read everyones posts here - some say they don't need it and want the vehicle for practical reasons - I agree with them - that's their decision and what they WANT out of the car.... Determine what you want - and what will excite you.. Is it merely transportation - or something that you are purchasing to fully excite you - and a vehicle you would admire? Each option can bring you that excitement - they are all great vehicles... The other thing I learned as a young guy many years ago -- never skimp on power when buying. car - if you are into cars. Its a lot of money so you have to figure out what turns you on. Don't settle you live once if you can afford it...

And this

VaxAce pretty much hits it on the head. I have the standard and have no regrets - I came from an Audi A4 which already has decent acceleration but the MY beats it in every way. I would see if you can test drive both versions, but ultimately it depends on what you want and are willing to pay for.

Reactions: GSP
I have no regrets in getting the LR, its way quicker than anything I've ever owned and I couldn't justify spending $8k more for a performance when I'm rarely going to use that extra power. The longe range makes me smile plenty every time I step on it, lol. Plus I live in New England with terrible roads so the lower, stiffer suspension and 21 inch wheels would be a big negative for me.

Reactions: ArtK
I just changed from a RWD Model 3 to a Y AWD. I did ponder the P for a long time but it's a big jump in price. I felt my M3 was quick but the Y AWD feels much quicker and definitely "quick enough" - loving it! I'll definitely plump for Acceleration Boost if it appears for the Y but I'm generally totally happy.