Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you're on the pi's wireless network (presuming you've not changed any hostname settings), you can go to \\teslausb.local\ in a UNC (i. e. windows filesystem) browser. It's not running a web server by default, but you might be able to install nginx or Apache.

Both the Zero W and the 4 can not only do a WiFi hotspot, but even do a hotspot and also be a client at the same time (though setting this up is a bit convoluted).

However, I'm not sure if the Tesla vehicle will stay connected to a Wifi that doesn't have direct internet access. I know that when I tried to connect to a free hotspot that required sign in it disconnected with a message about a sign in being requried (this was still on V9 I think though, so it's possible this is/will be solved in the future).

I have attempted with a Raspberry 3 that acts solely as an access point. I put Plex and nginx webserver on the Pi. I'm able to connect to it with my phone, be able to browse the web server, and open Plex. Unfortunately, the Tesla refuses to connect to the access point. I read that Tesla routes all traffic over VPN to their data center or something, and won't allow connecting to any IP addresses. For example, I set my phone up as a hotspot, had Tesla connect to it, and had the Raspberry 3 (this time acting as a regular wifi client) connect to it also. From my phone, I could access the Pi nginx webserver via its IP address. Unfortunately, in the Tesla, I could not navigate to the Pi's local IP address, nor could I navigate if I put the IP address in a YouTube video.

If anyone has ideas, please offer them up. My intent was to be able to watch video on Tesla screen offline either via Plex or directly browsing to a video file, which are all running off the Pi.

If anyone has ideas, please offer them up. My intent was to be able to watch video on Tesla screen offline either via Plex or directly browsing to a video file, which are all running off the Pi.
It won’t work unless the Pi also has Internet access that it makes available to the car. If the car doesn’t detect the Internet, it won’t connect to a wireless network. I have tested and confirmed.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
It won’t work unless the Pi also has Internet access that it makes available to the car. If the car doesn’t detect the Internet, it won’t connect to a wireless network. I have tested and confirmed.

Ugh, I noticed that, too (connects to phone hotspot but not the Pi hotspot). I hope one day they add a USB app to the Theater app, so it loads the video files from the USB drive, similar to the USB under the music thing.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I have attempted with a Raspberry 3 that acts solely as an access point. I put Plex and nginx webserver on the Pi. I'm able to connect to it with my phone, be able to browse the web server, and open Plex. Unfortunately, the Tesla refuses to connect to the access point. I read that Tesla routes all traffic over VPN to their data center or something, and won't allow connecting to any IP addresses. For example, I set my phone up as a hotspot, had Tesla connect to it, and had the Raspberry 3 (this time acting as a regular wifi client) connect to it also. From my phone, I could access the Pi nginx webserver via its IP address. Unfortunately, in the Tesla, I could not navigate to the Pi's local IP address, nor could I navigate if I put the IP address in a YouTube video.

I don't think a pi3 will work as only zero and 4 can act as a USB gadget instead of just a USB host.

I do occasionally get this; when I do I just shell into the Pi and tell it to reboot. After about 30 seconds, it comes back online and everything's hunky dory. This is a bit 'cleaner' than just pulling the cable, as it's a "sane" reboot that lets the Pi do its housekeeping rather than just getting the universe pulled out from under it.

ETA: by 'occasionally' I mean it's happened once before V10, and once after.

I am getting the "slow USB" warning on my pi-zero which has been working fine for months before the V10 upgrade. Is there some definitive way to stop this? If I buy some super-ultra-mega-enduro-max-pro-class1000-UD-RX SD card will that help?
This just seems to be an intermittent thing since v10, especially if you’re using the marcone branch.

I’m thinking about trying the marcone beta version, based on Buster. From what I’ve read so far (which isn’t a lot, admittedly) reports are pretty good. So I figure I’ll give it a shot, and if the basic functionalities work, maybe even try setting up the options for the Pi to be a WiFi access point for viewing videos away from home.

Anyone else out there running the marcone beta branch, and if so, how is it working for you?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I recently setup a Pi Zero following the directions and linked YT video, but I don't see any hotspot configuration for the "teslausb-20190615" release. Is the hotspot only available in the beta "buster" release?

I've also been receiving periodic "slow USB" errors with my Pi Zero since upgrading to v10. Unplugging the Pi seems to temporarily resolve this, but I'm interested to see if anyone has had this error occur on the beta Buster release.

This just seems to be an intermittent thing since v10, especially if you’re using the marcone branch.

I’m thinking about trying the marcone beta version, based on Buster. From what I’ve read so far (which isn’t a lot, admittedly) reports are pretty good. So I figure I’ll give it a shot, and if the basic functionalities work, maybe even try setting up the options for the Pi to be a WiFi access point for viewing videos away from home.

Anyone else out there running the marcone beta branch, and if so, how is it working for you?

I’m using that branch and still having the same issue. Even plugged directly into the USB port without a splitter still leads to this problem.

No solution yet.

I tried it with the buster image. Instead of the “too slow” error, I started getting “this file system is corrupt” error messages.

Mounts and operates just fine on my Mac.

Giving up for now - my SSD has been flawless.

Reactions: Phlier
Sorry for the dumb question, but I recently setup a Pi Zero following the directions and linked YT video, but I don't see any hotspot configuration for the "teslausb-20190615" release. Is the hotspot only available in the beta "buster" release?

I've also been receiving periodic "slow USB" errors with my Pi Zero since upgrading to v10. Unplugging the Pi seems to temporarily resolve this, but I'm interested to see if anyone has had this error occur on the beta Buster release.

Just to be clear, it's a Pi Zero W, not a Pi Zero, right? The non-W model lacks Wifi.

For me, with the mar one branch, the too slow message seems to be triggered when Sentry Mode is activated. It will go days without the error if I just travel from home to work, which have Sentry Mode disabled. However, the first stop that uses Sentry Mode says the drive is too slow.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti

I was having usb slow issues on zero and Pi4. I changed my very fast sd card to a super-ultra-mega-enduro-max-pro-class1000-UD-RX (Cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG)
and used the new beta branch. Everything working fine for 2 weeks now. I did have one weird hiccup which required a reboot, but nothing else.