Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried to DIY install homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just did a DIY HomeLink install without Tesla's service center, with the help of a repair shop that had access to Tesla Toolbox 3.

After installing the module in the front of the car, you need to run the command called "HOMELINK RETROFIT" (or something like that, I don't remember it exactly. This will reboot the car and then it will recognize the HomeLink hardware. ONLY AFTER THIS the commando "TEST-SELF_ VCFRONT_X_HOMELINK" will work. This "retrofit" command is not documented on the HomeLink install documents.

Today a friend of mine noticed that if you enter "Service Mode" on the car, even without the Toolbox 3, it has an option to run "Homelink Retrofit"

1668799245937.png

It seems that you might be able to enable HomeLink even without the Toolbox 3, directly on the car.

After doing the Retrofit, the option to TEST Homelink appears:

1668799311888.png

However I haven't tested this procedure. Mine was installed with the use of the Toolbox 3.

Today a friend of mine noticed that if you enter "Service Mode" on the car, even without the Toolbox 3, it has an option to run "Homelink Retrofit"

View attachment 875944

It seems that you might be able to enable HomeLink even without the Toolbox 3, directly on the car.

After doing the Retrofit, the option to TEST Homelink appears:

View attachment 875945

However I haven't tested this procedure. Mine was installed with the use of the Toolbox 3.
I will try this. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: rrlevy
@rrlevy was right. See post below for details.

Great news!

The "missing link" really was finding out that you need that "retrofit" command before the "test". The documentation don't mention that, and we found that out using the toolbox on a "trial and error" basis.

I'm glad it worked with Service Mode only! I suspected that, but it's great to have it confirmed! Congratulations!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Great news!

The "missing link" really was finding out that you need that "retrofit" command before the "test". The documentation don't mention that, and we found that out using the toolbox on a "trial and error" basis.

I'm glad it worked with Service Mode only! I suspected that, but it's great to have it confirmed! Congratulations!

Just curious if you have step by step or even screenshots on where the retrofit command is and the testing command is within the Toolbox. Seems like they are not allowing it to be done via the regular menu anymore and was just wondering if you have screenshots of it. I'm thinking of just getting 1 hour subscription to do it, but I don't want to get it and then not able to find the commands to perform it. Much appreciated.