Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the Hansshow Model 3 Heads-up-display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is using the hansshow heads up display in their model 3, or any other HUD in the car, and what are your feedback?

I think this might be one of the things that will take me the longest to get use to, not having a main dash, and will probably be a moaning point of the missus.

Thanks,

Jim

I’ve not used a HUD in the Model 3, but the Kona we had previously had a motorised HUD that rose up from the top of the binnacle when the car was turned on.

I quite liked using it, and always did until the one and only software update the dealer applied to the car also stopped the HUD from memorising its set position, so then I was always having to adjust the angle!

To be honest, since having the Model 3 I’ve not missed the HUD, and neither have I missed a dashboard at all. The Model 3 screen is quick to get used to.

Reactions: j1mgg
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is using the hansshow heads up display in their model 3, or any other HUD in the car, and what are your feedback?

I think this might be one of the things that will take me the longest to get use to, not having a main dash, and will probably be a moaning point of the missus.

Thanks,

Jim
Do you actually have the car yet? I don't miss the dash at all. The only thing on a dash you actually need to check often is the speed and that is comfortably in my field of vision on the M3 without even looking down. Total non issue for me.

Reactions: Chalks99
I don't.

In that initial phase of looking at new stuff for when it arrives.
We’ve all been there. You need something to keep you occupied while you wait ;)

I agree with @Jason71 - wait until you’ve got the car, and see if you feel a HUD would be good for you. There are a few things I did before I got the car. I’d sort out some storage for the TeslaCam system, so you can plug that in when you collect the car.

You might also decide if you want your car data logged by TeslaMate or TeslaFi, as it’s best to do this so it works from the day you collect. Also sort out your home charger, and switch to an EV friendly utility company like Octopus Energy. (Referral code available on request :cool:)

I looked at this product when Mr H linked to the Hannshow kits page - it kind of looks ok until you read past the “hidden cable” claims to then discover it’s a cable that will only feed across the top of the dash, meaning you look like those cops where they have the stick-on flashing light in the movies.

Shame as it seems to be a good design for clarity, graphics and features.

I looked at this product when Mr H linked to the Hannshow kits page - it kind of looks ok until you read past the “hidden cable” claims to then discover it’s a cable that will only feed across the top of the dash, meaning you look like those cops where they have the stick-on flashing light in the movies.

Shame as it seems to be a good design for clarity, graphics and features.

I saw that in the YouTube video, it looks like there is a split in the dash that they have tried to hide it along.

I had a HUD in my Mazda 6, and after an initial reaction of thinking it was a gimmic, I went on to really value it for the 3 years I had the car.

I was expecting to really miss it when I moved to my M3LR, and was, like you, looking to add a 3rd party HUD.

Now I've been driving the M3 for a month or so, I don't miss it. The top right hand corner of the screen is just about in my peripheral vision, and does the job fine.

- I don't care what gear I'm in (there's only one).
- I don't care what the 'engine speed' is - I don't need to change gear so why does it matter?
- Speed, battery level, cruise control and sat nav instructions are all available in the top right, and I don't find it distracting to look across.

I'm not really interested in adding a HUD now. I would be more annoyed about the cabling and it potentially moving, than I feel I would gain any benefit from it.

Luke

I have a cheap Chinese OBD2 connected HUD in my Volvo. Can't see it in daylight but when I'm night driving especially on unlit motorways I find it useful to monitor my speed with all the other dash lights set to minimum so the cabin is in darkness too.
I do a lot of night driving - less annoying traffic around and find the lower light inside the cabin easier on the eyes.

So far I've not heard anyone describing night driving in a Model 3 - how distracting is that big screen in darkness?
Does it automatically switch to "night mode" and.or can it be dimmed further (to off? - except for speed)?
I have another cheap Chinese HUD that uses GPS for speed - just needs 5v power and somewhere to place it on the dashtop.

I will of course find out for myself if Tesla get around to telling me when my M3 will be coming!!

I have a HUD in my current BMW 3-Series which is due to be replaced with a M3LR next month. The BMW HUD is excellent and I will really miss it when I switch to the Tesla.
I had this in my previous M4 and loved it. A very well executed bit of kit and no need for any daft looking Perspex screens in the dash.
Turns out I didn’t miss it that much in the end. You adapt to the big screen and offset speedo very quickly.

Reactions: pow216 and c7carl