Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AO Pucks & "Normal" Scissor Jacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Hey guys, tried searching but might be using the wrong words.

I have the Second Gen Pucks from Abstract Ocean and recently bought the road hero "kit" that is supposedly designed for model 3's...

Except, it isn't. The scissor jack they include, although pretty sturdy and did manage to lift my model 3 no problem, has the standard groove type fitting on the top, that you would normally put over your seal in a regular car. So the puck literally just sat ontop of it and any sideways motion would have been a disaster.

I asked another member that bought the same kit and he modified a puck using an angle grinder, but I'm really not that technically minded.

I just can't believe they are selling these as specific for the model 3. I've contacted the company I bought it from as well as road hero themselves and are just getting nowhere.

So, any suggestions on an attachment I could get? Or something, without spending a fortune as the wheel/kit already cost me best part of £300.

Oh and ideally I don't really want to carry around a trolley jack in the car as well as the spare and everything else. It already dominates the boot as it is.

Cheers guys

I suspect the scissor jack you are referring to has a bulbus 'nipple' on top that is not compatible with the solid nature of the AO pucks?

If so, whilst I have not tried yet (and blindly buried my head in the sand), I think that an additional rubberised pad (was thinking of using neoprene from a wetsuit) will be sufficiently compliant yet non slip enough to be safely sandwiched between the two.

Last edited:
It's a real shame that road hero has not responded, that's very disappointing.

The other possible option, if I am imagining the issue correctly, drill a shallow enough groove into the bottom of the puck? That's easier than modifying the jack.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping to use "The AA" for jacking the car after a flat.
I have an "Ebay special" KOM branded "road hero" style spare wheel which also came with a similar scary scissor jack which I'm loathe to use.
I also have a set of the regular round-base jacking pucks.

I havent tried to get hold of one of those wheel ramps yet - by all accounts there's not much "jack room" left when the car body drops due to a flat and by driving the "dead tyred" wheel onto a ramp you can make enough clearance for a regular hydraulic jack and puck to fit under.

I also was surprised by Road Hero supplying the scissor jack as described - it is simply dangerous to use with a Tesla puck.
I had no intention of using it and went for a low profile trolley jack from Machine Mart that fits nicely into the frunk.

I suspect the scissor jack you are referring to has a bulbus 'nipple' on top that is not compatible with the solid nature of the AO pucks?

If so, whilst I have not tried yet (and blindly buried my head in the sand), I think that an additional rubberised pad (was thinking of using neoprene from a wetsuit) will be sufficiently compliant yet non slip enough to be safely sandwiched between the two.
Not even, its literally a normal car jack.

Road hero responded and said that they include a rubber puck (which I didn't get and have since asked for) to go ontop of it, so the jack will press into the rubber a bit when lifting and keep it secure....

I mean, it'll be better than using the solid AO pucks sure, but still...pretty damn shoddy for something that is advertised as designed for the model 3.
I can see me ending up doing this....yet more expense but worth it in the long run. Road Hero apparently are designing a "proper" jack for Tesla's....but who knows when thats going to come out.

Attachments

• 20211003_145602 (1).jpg
    20211003_145602 (1).jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 276
Which one did you get? Currently looking for a jack to swap winter wheels. TIA.
Get a jack with a nice wide rubber saddle on it, saves you needing to use those Tesla jacking pucks.

I’ve got this one, although SGS do the same one in black for a bit cheaper, it’s a great jack, raises the car very quickly and with little effort.

Get a jack with a nice wide rubber saddle on it, saves you needing to use those Tesla jacking pucks.

I’ve got this one, although SGS do the same one in black for a bit cheaper, it’s a great jack, raises the car very quickly and with little effort.

I see both of those 3-tonner jacks have a minimum height of 135/136mm.
What is the jacking height available for lifting a Model3 with a flat tyre?
(I don't want to find out the hard way :( )

I see both of those 3-tonner jacks have a minimum height of 135/136mm.
What is the jacking height available for lifting a Model3 with a flat tyre?
(I don't want to find out the hard way :( )
I just checked for you, there’s only 1.5cm clearance on my LR, so probably won’t fit if the tyre is flat. Best top go for one of the low profile quick lift ones, they’re £120 but definitely worthwhile. Don’t be tempted by the £30 one, I have one of those too, and it takes about 50 pumps to lift the car!!

I just bought a pair of cheap but well rated motorhome ramps on Amazon to give jack clearance. They were around £16, compact and lightweight and at 8cm max raising height, should just be sufficient to get the low profile jack under. Not sure yet whether they will go in the frunk together with the jack but it's about the tidiest set-up I can get that does the job safely. I don't run with a spare wheel but I have invested in the top-end Dyna-Plug kit to give me a fighting chance if I get a flat. That or wait for the AA. I also tested my jack directly on the jack points without the puck in place - there is no physical location but the rubber cup locates well enough and feels solid if you go carefully.

1698945494881.png

I bought the above to replace the rectangle pad that comes with the modern spare tire kit. I also gain clearance, win-win. To be honest I haven't tried either (above or below) yet and hopefully I never need to.

I prefer the scissor jack due to its size (it fits inside the spare tire), rather than a floor jack.

1698945437990.png

And as mentioned by others, also bought a low profile ramp in case I have any clearance issues. And wheel chocks to keep the opposite side tires secure.

1698945561969.png
1698945475218.png

Last edited:
I bought the above to replace the rectangle pad that comes with the modern spare tire kit. I also gain clearance, win-win. To be honest I haven't tried either (above or below) yet and hopefully I never need to.
Good idea but ridiculously expensive and crazy to have it sent from USA … but … you could steal the idea and make one for practically nothing!

One of the problems with scissor jacks is that if they are at their very lowest height they are almost impossible to wind up with any weight on them … gets easier after the first few inches. This means that even a small amount that can be gained by losing the thick jacking puck would certainly be helpful.

Reactions: chobra
Good idea but ridiculously expensive and crazy to have it sent from USA … but … you could steal the idea and make one for practically nothing!

One of the problems with scissor jacks is that if they are at their very lowest height they are almost impossible to wind up with any weight on them … gets easier after the first few inches. This means that even a small amount that can be gained by losing the thick jacking puck would certainly be helpful.
Adopado custom jacking adapter for scissor jack for Europe, side hustle! By the way, I went to Ireland last year. Beautiful country, Guinness runs through my veins, literally.

Also include this:

1698950902094.png

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado