Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 local max speed reduced apr 2017?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is already discussed but I recently noticed that I am limited to the actual speed limit in my AP1 loaner which had previously been limited to speed limit plus 10km/h (6 mph) a couple weeks back. I am currently on 8.1(17.16.35)

I had my actual AP2 for a few days and thought it was pretty good but then AP1's robustness is a few large notches better. I can only hope that AP2 will further improve by the time I get my own car back.

I really wish (any would pay for) both AP1 and AP2 in the same car. I mean the camera is the same and already there, so put another chip/board and let us run AP1 while AP2 gets there. So we won't be in this phase of not enhanced AP at all.

...both AP1 and AP2 in the same car...

It's the same principle as paying for both 40 kWh and 60 kWh battery in the same car.

The actual hardware is not 40 kWh it's only software limited to act as if it's 40 kWh.

As of about 10/2016, all cars have been equipped with AP2 but some only want to pay for AP1 price so they got software limited to AP1. Only those who were in transition would get that software limited deal.

I was thinking of keeping the mobieye (ap1) in there at the same time as the new NVIDIA stuff. That way we would still be driving AP1, until AP2 is ready and switch over to go from same to enhanced, rather than from none to worse (where we are today) to same and then to eventually enhanced .

I was thinking of keeping the mobieye (ap1) in there at the same time as the new NVIDIA stuff. That way we would still be driving AP1, until AP2 is ready and switch over to go from same to enhanced, rather than from none to worse (where we are today) to same and then to eventually enhanced .

Tesla tried. Mobileeye said no.

Personally, I don't blame Tesla for trying or MobileEye for saying no.

Ok that's unfortunate.
I don't see how Mobieye could have prevented Tesla from putting both system in he same car provided that they are not interacting or learning from each other. Though that may have slowed down GE Dev of AP2.

Anyway, did anyone see a recent restriction to speed limit on local auto steer for AP1?

Not sure if this is already discussed but I recently noticed that I am limited to the actual speed limit in my AP1 loaner which had previously been limited to speed limit plus 10km/h (6 mph) a couple weeks back. I am currently on 8.1(17.16.35)

I had my actual AP2 for a few days and thought it was pretty good but then AP1's robustness is a few large notches better. I can only hope that AP2 will further improve by the time I get my own car back.

I really wish (any would pay for) both AP1 and AP2 in the same car. I mean the camera is the same and already there, so put another chip/board and let us run AP1 while AP2 gets there. So we won't be in this phase of not enhanced AP at all.

In AP1 you can set the "offset from speed limit" +10 km/h in settings.

Last edited:
Just a note: they restricted AP1 speeds to no more than speed limit on back roads, and that restriction was then subsequently removed in another firmware update.

I never got that update till date, and so I am still stuck at no more than speed limits on back roads. Which is fine during rush hour and but a nuisance during off hours.

Just a note: they restricted AP1 speeds to no more than speed limit on back roads, and that restriction was then subsequently removed in another firmware update.

I never got that update till date, and so I am still stuck at no more than speed limits on back roads. Which is fine during rush hour and but a nuisance during off hours.

Humm, maybe this AP1 loaner isn't on the latest update but I thought it would be given I just received a minor release 3 days ago. Is 8.1(17.16.35) the latest?

Ok that's unfortunate.
I don't see how Mobieye could have prevented Tesla from putting both system in he same car provided that they are not interacting or learning from each other. Though that may have slowed down GE Dev of AP2.

Anyway, did anyone see a recent restriction to speed limit on local auto steer for AP1?
What do you mean? Tesla enters contractual agreements with MobileEye and there are restrictions on how it can be used. It would be IP theft if Tesla just decided to use MobileEye's products in a way that MobileEye did not agree to.

The problem is more that when Tesla refused MobileEye's request to contribute Tesla Vision learnings back to MobileEye, ME just directly said "that's it, you can't sell any more EyeQ3 Teslas". And at that point, Tesla was forced to rush AP2 onto the market.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
It would be IP theft if Tesla decided to use MobileEye's products in a way that MobileEye did not agree to.

The problem is more that when Tesla refused MobileEye's request to contribute Tesla Vision learnings back to MobileEye, ME just directly said "that's it, you can't sell any more EyeQ3 Teslas"

And thats the first I have heard of that. The version that I have read many times here and in Reddit is different and consistent:
  • MobileEye insisted that any data collected through their hardware is their IP and Tesla cannot use them without their permission .
  • MobileEye was just too slow in their roadmap and was not as nimble as Tesla would have liked them to be. Their roadmap for semi-autonomous driving was well into 2020 and beyond, whereas Tesla wanted that to happen in 2017.

Also it is silly and unheard of for a h/w manufacturer to insist how their product should be used. It is like Intel demanding what software should and shouldn't be run using their chips

Last edited by a moderator:
And thats the first I have heard of that. The version that I have read many times here and in Reddit is different and consistent:
  • MobileEye insisted that any data collected through their hardware is their IP and Tesla cannot use them without their permission .
  • MobileEye was just too slow in their roadmap and was not as nimble as Tesla would have liked them to be. Their roadmap for semi-autonomous driving was well into 2020 and beyond, whereas Tesla wanted that to happen in 2017.

The story Tesla told was much uglier:
Tesla responds to Mobileye’s comments on Autopilot, confirms new in-house ‘Tesla Vision’ product

• Raising the price of their product retroactively
  • Demanding an agreement to extremely unfavorable terms of sale and
  • Demanding that Tesla not use data that was collected by its vehicles’ cameras for any purpose other than helping MobilEye develop its products
  • Requiring that Tesla collaborate on Tesla Vision and source future vision processing from them until at least level 4

Of course this wording is open to interpretation but it's not painting a flattering picture of fairness on ME's side either.

Just tried it. You have to have up to +5 mph in the controls->driver assistance->speed assist with relative selected. With this setting it also adds up to 5mph to the current speed limit when you hold the cruise control stock backwards to set the speed to the current road sign speed limit. Anything above +5 mph is limited to +5 mph on back roads.

Last edited:
Just tried it. You have to have up to +5 mph in the controls->driver assistance->speed assist with relative selected. With this setting it also adds up to 5mph to the current speed limit when you hold the cruise control stock backwards to set the speed to the current road sign speed limit. Anything above +5 mph is limited to +5 mph on back roads.
cruise control stalk:rolleyes: