Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S curves happen in nearly all manufacturing.

When you look at the beginning of the S curve ... Since this one only started only last month it does appear linear, but it's not. You simply don't have enough data points yet.

As far as unofficial data points, we've seen VINs over 100. It took a month to produce 50 units but they've obviously done more than all of last month's models in the last two weeks. This puts them on track for 100+ units in August. If September production is more than 200 units, then you have your S curve beginning its logistic growth curve.

I'm referring to the S curve in terms of AI / Self driving, not the m3 ramp, I could honestly care less about the m3 ramp, except for the data it will be adding to the network to help with the "allege' S curve of AI for self driving.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm referring to the S curve in terms of AI / Self driving, not the m3 ramp, I could honestly care less about the m3 ramp, except for the data it will be adding to the network to help with the "allege' S curve of AI for self driving.
Machine learning curves don't generally look like an S. Can you cite where you are seeing that so I can get some context?

Machine learning curves don't generally look like an S. Can you cite where you are seeing that so I can get some context?

I'm searching, I believe he said it at a conference, were he basically said the learning is an exponential s curve once you gather the fundamentals, but i'll need to search it out.

If anyone else has some cycles, please help =).

Nice, that at least sounds like what the owners manual describes
UhI7tv.jpg

Someone needs to try this out with a hose.
I think there is another way to deal with interval wiping: have a NN that learns the time between single presses (single wipe) and "learn" driver preferences for wipe interval.

Trust me, driving in Oregon/Washington there is so much variability between mist, rain, splashes, etc. I exercise my pinkie pushing this button more than almost any other control! I keep wishing it could become "smart" and mimic my action based on sensor inputs.

have a NN that learns the time between single presses (single wipe) and "learn" driver preferences for wipe interval
Love it. Just have to love it. I've thought about this many times but you know how it is when you think about something. The thought goes away. TESLA ARE YOU LISTENING? READ THIS MAN'S POST

Love it. Just have to love it. I've thought about this many times but you know how it is when you think about something. The thought goes away. TESLA ARE YOU LISTENING? READ THIS MAN'S POST
I think a lot of modern cars (other than Tesla, you know) have "learning" intermittent mode.
I.e. you press "Wipe" once, then you press it again and the car enters intermittent mode wiping with that interval you just had.
Press it once more and it adjusts to a shorter one from the last wipe. No complex NN needed.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
yesterday I tried to duplicate the wiper behaviour where I have seen the wiper going from full back to intervall after rain stopped - after several minutes though. I parked before my garage, kept the car in P mode, set the wiper to Auto (which switched the wipers on), then left the car, sprayed water on the windshield for like 30 seconds, then waited and watched... The wiper continued in full (well, still in auto mode of course), the windshield got dry, and still after 5 minutes no sign of going back to intervall automatically. I stopped after waiting for 6 minutes.
May be it was because of not driving, so no changing images for the NN, or staying in park or for whatever other reasons - I was not able to duplicate my first experience.

Today was a rainy day... You know what that means, right?

I collected some on and off-highway videos in the rain that you can get at the usual place: https://app.box.com/s/225wpfnkvdasr5kpbty5u5ap23nl9ej4

Bonus: snapshots now include backup camera too.

I figured a way to trigger these snapshots more deterministically than via triggers, but still sometimes it does not really work (snapshot starts, but does not write any data into the file), still massively easier than before.

couple of not really processed images from the main cam, it'll take longer to actually give these images justice and I don't know when I might have time for it, but hopefully somebody does it before me ;)
shot4.jpg shot5.jpg

Today was a rainy day... You know what that means, right?

I collected some on and off-highway videos in the rain that you can get at the usual place: https://app.box.com/s/225wpfnkvdasr5kpbty5u5ap23nl9ej4

Bonus: snapshots now include backup camera too.

I figured a way to trigger these snapshots more deterministically than via triggers, but still sometimes it does not really work (snapshot starts, but does not write any data into the file), still massively easier than before.

couple of not really processed images from the main cam, it'll take longer to actually give these images justice and I don't know when I might have time for it, but hopefully somebody does it before me ;)
View attachment 244758 View attachment 244759

I'll be interested to see what the front wide angle shots look like, especially if you got some while there were drops sitting on the glass between the wiper swipes.

Good to know.

Seems like a pretty clear difference they should be able to code for. :)

Wouldn't this need to be learnt by the NN rather than coded?

I guess the hard part would be the judgement as to how much rain, i.e. how fast should the wipers go. You wouldn't necessarily want them to be instantly triggered at max speed for every single raindrop.

Wouldn't this need to be learnt by the NN rather than coded?

I guess the hard part would be the judgement as to how much rain, i.e. how fast should the wipers go. You wouldn't necessarily want them to be instantly triggered at max speed for every single raindrop.

Either way, but it's true they are already training a neural network for the rest of the camera input, including from this camera.

The judgement could be trained by drivers, like someone was suggesting upthread - rollout out a version that you're confident is less aggressive than folks prefer, and make it more aggressive when folks hit a manual swipe in between until you hit the happy spot.

Most automatic wipers I've had, including my AP1 X, are pretty bad at that decision. Even on the aggressive setting, it wipes about half as often as I'd prefer in light to moderate rain.

Either way, but it's true they are already training a neural network for the rest of the camera input, including from this camera.

The judgement could be trained by drivers, like someone was suggesting upthread - rollout out a version that you're confident is less aggressive than folks prefer, and make it more aggressive when folks hit a manual swipe in between until you hit the happy spot.

Most automatic wipers I've had, including my AP1 X, are pretty bad at that decision. Even on the aggressive setting, it wipes about half as often as I'd prefer in light to moderate rain.

It seems like the Tesla wipers are inadequate even on the highest manual setting during hard rain events at >70mph for me. The wipers make a lot of noise but are generally ineffective (they have a lot of brute force but lack speed).

Reactions: Aeg07046
I didn't actually think that that automatic wipers changed speeds for AP purposes. Heck auto wipers are not even available yet for AP2 cars. In moderate to heavy rains I just forced highspeed wipers because I thought it was a safer option and would give my AP1 X a better 'view'. I was amazed at how well AP1 works in the [heavy] rain.

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
I didn't actually think that that automatic wipers changed speeds for AP purposes. Heck auto wipers are not even available yet for AP2 cars. In moderate to heavy rains I just forced highspeed wipers because I thought it was a safer option and would give my AP1 X a better 'view'. I was amazed at how well AP1 works in the [heavy] rain.

I only mentioned AP1 in the context of having a traditional rain sensor based automatic wiper system. I'm not aware of AP commanding wiper use on its own