Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2.0 upgraded last week to AP3. I did not choose to upgrade the MCU as I'm debating whether to keep the car at the end of the lease in about a year. A slight hiccup which required an update to be reapplied (2020.20.1). The GPS was hung and calibration didn't start until after the reapply. So far, it's working as well as can be expected. No notable changes otherwise.

Also, I'm trying to understand if there will be any difference in AutoPilot performance - anybody know of any differences?

I had my MS in for service last month for a headlight replacement and UV treatment on MCU 1 screen. When I picked up my vehicle, there were two long screws in the cup holder. I think they have something to do with mounting or adjusting the UV lamp fixture and were simply forgotten by the tech.

I had my MS in for service last month for a headlight replacement and UV treatment on MCU 1 screen. When I picked up my vehicle, there were two long screws in the cup holder. I think they have something to do with mounting or adjusting the UV lamp fixture and were simply forgotten by the tech.
The mcu is mounted to the car with four bolts (two at top, one on each side). If the bolts you found are about 1.5” long, I’d be concerned they didn’t mount your MCU with all four bolts

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The mcu is mounted to the car with four bolts (two at top, one on each side). If the bolts you found are about 1.5” long, I’d be concerned they didn’t mount your MCU with all four bolts

Yes, they are about 1.5 inches long (see picture). I assume they need to remove the MCU in order to do UV screen treatment then ? Am I going to have rattles with a poorly mounted MCU now ?

Attachments

• 3A54D3C0-67AB-4BDC-8567-414F4C75CE99.jpeg
    3A54D3C0-67AB-4BDC-8567-414F4C75CE99.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 98
Yes, they are about 1.5 inches long (see picture). I assume they need to remove the MCU in order to do UV screen treatment then ? Am I going to have rattles with a poorly mounted MCU now ?
Id schedule an appointment and get them to install the bolts. I’m unsure if Tesla mounts the UV light using bolts (I’d doubt it) - so these are likely from your car and your MCU isn’t secured properly.

Let's wait a bit for @ahkahn to get up and running and we'll know if better and more eMMC will clear the bottleneck or if it's compute. I think if sentry works, it likely is buffer and storage and not processing.

OK, so I'm going to cross-post this since this topic is flowing between two different discussions. Here is the other discussion:
AP2 MCU1 FSD Dashcam Videos

eMMC upgrade first impressions:
- MCU is definitely faster and more responsive
- MCU1 is still nowhere near MCU2 speed (as compared to my wife's Model 3)
- Dashcam and Sentry seem to be working slightly better, but still not perfect.
- The Dashcam does seem to slow the MCU down slightly when the USB is plugged in.
- IC (for some reason) seems to be running a tad smoother. Maybe smoother data flow between the two?
- Haven't done much longer range driving, but AP seems to be functioning the same as before

Overall impression: The replacement cost is commensurate with the performance boost. It is a preventative measure that undoes and also prevents the future decay of the MCU. It will basically "rewind the clock" on the MCU to when the car was new, and unscientifically speaking perhaps a tad faster than new. It is not an MCU2 by any means, but it is also not the price of an MCU2.

Situations where I would upgrade the eMMC:
- Running buggy and want to just fix it
- High mileage car
- Looking to sell car soon
- Don't want to invest or have the money to spend on a new MCU

Situations where I would upgrade the MCU:
- Plan to keep the car for a while
- Want the newest features (Netflix, etc)
- Can't stand the speed of the MCU (and couldn't in the beginning of ownership)

*I am still having some minor(?) issues with audio that Tony is working through with me. I'm hopeful that issue will also help speed things up even better.

OK, so I'm going to cross-post this since this topic is flowing between two different discussions. Here is the other discussion:

- The Dashcam does seem to slow the MCU down slightly when the USB is plugged in.
- IC (for some reason) seems to be running a tad smoother. Maybe smoother data flow between the two?
- Haven't done much longer range driving, but AP seems to be functioning the same as before

Overall impression: The replacement cost is commensurate with the performance boost. It is a preventative measure that undoes and also prevents the future decay of the MCU. It will basically "rewind the clock" on the MCU to when the car was new, and unscientifically speaking perhaps a tad faster than new. It is not an MCU2 by any means, but it is also not the price of an MCU2.

- High mileage car

*I am still having some minor(?) issues with audio that Tony is working through with me. I'm hopeful that issue will also help speed things up even better.
I was "braving" up to do this but now having second thoughts. It seems like 12v battery runs out without MCU? FSD computer has really slowed down things and I think MCU2 is the only option for proper UI experience. I am seeing serious lag with voice commands, scroll wheels to set temperature, dashcam videos etc.
Thanks for the review.

I was "braving" up to do this but now having second thoughts. It seems like 12v battery runs out without MCU? FSD computer has really slowed down things and I think MCU2 is the only option for proper UI experience. I am seeing serious lag with voice commands, scroll wheels to set temperature, dashcam videos etc.
Thanks for the review.

If you leave the MCU unplugged, it will run the 12v battery out. You'll need a battery tender under those circumstances. The alternative is to plug the MCU back in (without the Tegra board installed) and the battery will stay in good shape. I had mine out twice - the first time I did NOT put the MCU back in and the battery died (what a total fiasco it was) and the second time I had my MCU out (working through issues with Tony), I plugged the MCU back in and just set it in there. Car stayed charged and useable.

That said, I am still happy with the eMMC upgrade. It's definitely not MCU2 fast, but it's much better than it was before. I'd say it brings the MCU1 back to the low-end of tolerable for me.

Other notes:
- Browser still spotty at best with new eMMC.
- Routing is actually decently snappy. Again, not MCU2 fast, but significantly better than before.

I would like to share update on my MCU2 upgrade. After HW3 upgrade 3 weeks ago, MCU2 upgrade was performed yesterday and I got my car back today.
  • Homelink setting retained
  • All favorite stations retained although radio is gone
  • Driver profiles retained
  • Bluetooth phone deleted but reconnected, np
  • wifi had to be reconnected, np
Imo, MCU2 upgrade was well worth it. Besides obvious improvements, I've also noticed better LTE connection and playback via Tunein and Spotify as well. I have also noticed improved sounds through my stock speakers. EQ range has changed after MCU2 upgrade and perhaps sound processing as well. I'm not sure on this.

I'm getting my NVX subwoofer installed this afternoon. Very excited. Have a nice weekend gentlemen.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: drklain

- High mileage car

I would echo the same sentiments. I just had mine replaced and it does seem a bit faster, but no where near MCU2 responsiveness. Pulling up the main menu is slow and clunky, but switching between items is noticeably faster. No more audio skips for me either, which Im happy about. in the end, it saved me 2 grand and will allow me to push off the MCU2 Upgrade for a while.

I also learned a TON by working with Tony...great guy.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and ahkahn

- High mileage car

What is eMMC upgrade? Just replacing the eMMC without replacing the MCU1? Is it aftermarket or supported by Tesla? Thanks

What do we call former AP2 cars? We have the AP2 sensor suite but have fsd computer. Need a pithy name.

"HW3-ish"

Well, I scheduled my 2.0 ---> FSD computer upgrade 3-4 weeks ago. (no MCU upgrade) It was supposed to be this coming Tuesday so I was pretty excited. I just received an e-mail saying "As requested, your Model S service appointment at the Littleton service center has been cancelled."

I thought I waited long enough before making my upgrade request, as it looks like there's many success stories on getting the the upgrade done. I called and they don't know why it got cancelled but I'm waiting on a call back from "parts team"

MS75D AP2 MCU1 (May 2017)