Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We didn’t get much from the Christmas update, but at least we got native AM integration. I don’t know what the quality is, but it’s certainly good enough for my ears. With the car’s range of speakers, it provides a nice, immersive experience.

From early tests the new media player seems like an improvement, bringing all the controls under one roof, again. Searching includes AM and each driver profile has its own AM logon, which is most definitely welcome.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Got some questions that maybe others have figured out about Tesla Apple Music.

When playing a song or showing music in general, what does the '+' button do? I know that clicking it makes it a CheckMark - my expectation is that is similar to adding a song to your library in the MacOS Music app but not clear exactly.

Is there anywhere that you can see upcoming songs in the play queue?

Earlier today, I was having trouble playing some songs - it would just "load" them and then skip to the next one, sometimes several songs in a row. It's like it's having trouble playing certain songs but they play just fine on my iPhone.

Do people find that there's a 2 sec or so delay when loading a song? Doesn't happen on iPhone so it's a bit surprising to me

Thanks!

OK I can see that it is a fairly limited implementation of Apple Music. Song lists are only shown if you select an album or one of your own playlists.

I use the Apple Music personalized “stations” quite heavily. These are updated weekly. Apple does a great job of customizing music for me. You can’t see any lists from these though - what’s coming or the play history. However you can move backwards and forwards through a given station playlist which is handy.

The “+” that becomes a checkmark when clicked - I suspect that’s more like the “heart” button which means play more like this. I don’t think it adds to your library because I looked at the recently added in my library which is visible in the car, and the one I clicked wasn’t there. However anything you recently added from other devices is available in your car. OK I take that back, the + does add it to your library! I saw it in recently added on one of my iOS devices later.

I did not notice any delay in playing music. The car was connected to home WiFi, so that may be why.

Implementation may be limited, but so far it is definitely good enough and sounds great!

Last edited:
OK I can see that it is a fairly limited implementation of Apple Music. Song lists are only shown if you select an album or one of your own playlists.

I use the Apple Music personalized “stations” quite heavily. These are updated weekly. Apple does a great job of customizing music for me. You can’t see any lists from these though - what’s coming or the play history. However you can move backwards and forwards through a given station playlist which is handy.

The “+” that becomes a checkmark when clicked - I suspect that’s more like the “heart” button which means play more like this. I don’t think it adds to your library because I looked at the recently added in my library which is visible in the car, and the one I clicked wasn’t there. However anything you recently added from other devices is available in your car. OK I take that back, the + does add it to your library! I saw it in recently added on one of my iOS devices later.

I did not notice any delay in playing music. The car was connected to home WiFi, so that may be why.

Implementation may be limited, but so far it is definitely good enough and sounds great!
In respect of the personalised stations, I can see these. Though they’re showing up in my recently played. So they are available, just might not show up as a suggested playlist?

I’m seeing all my personalized stations just like on my phone which is great. It’s just that when I select a station I don’t see a song list like I do on my phone. The < > buttons work to move through the songs as do the player forward and reverse/back buttons (which indicates the left thumb wheel will do the same). You just don’t get a song list of what will be played next or the history list like on the phone.

It’s certainly good enough while driving!

Last edited:
I have purchased tracks/albums in Apple Music but I don’t subscribe.
I tried logging in, in the car but the only option was free trial followed by subscription.
I presume that unless you subscribe, the car app offers nothing for free.

I tried logging in, in the car but the only option was free trial followed by subscription.
I'll see how it goes for me since I cancelled my subscription last month.Mainly because I couldn't get it to play my music without having use the phone app every time I got into the car.

I’m seeing all my personalized stations just like on my phone which is great. It’s just that when I select a station I don’t see a song list like I do on my phone. The < > buttons work to move through the songs as do the player forward and reverse/back buttons (which indicates the left thumb wheel will do the same). You just don’t get a song list of what will be played next or the history list like on the phone.

It’s certainly good enough while driving!
If you open the Apple Music “app” it opens a large window over the map area showing the full UI. This shows full albums, playlists, etc. There aren’t as many functions as with on the phone (ie. no ability to disable explicit lyrics), but the base functionality seems solid.
This is where things get confusing.
Buying music from what used to be called the iTunes Music Store (IMS) is not the same as an Apple Music subscription. Also, I’d imagine if anyone still has an iTunes Match subscription (where you could keep your music in the cloud, £20/yr) this also won’t work. The service in the car is “Apple Music”, not the Music app available on your iPhone.

If you open the Apple Music “app” it opens a large window over the map area showing the full UI. This shows full albums, playlists, etc. There aren’t as many functions as with on the phone (ie. no ability to disable explicit lyrics), but the base functionality seems solid.
Saw a youtube video on this showing you can disable explicit lyrics through the options in the "small" window that appears on the driving visualisation part of the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo

This is where things get confusing.
Buying music from what used to be called the iTunes Music Store (IMS) is not the same as an Apple Music subscription. Also, I’d imagine if anyone still has an iTunes Match subscription (where you could keep your music in the cloud, £20/yr) this also won’t work. The service in the car is “Apple Music”, not the Music app available on your iPhone.
I have both apple music subscription and iTunes match (I think apple music covers both but im still pay for match as have since introduction and some of my music will not play either. I can see the tracks in a faded font but cant play them. Also the sound is not as nice as Bluetooth streaming.

Last edited:
I have both apple music subscription and iTunes match (I think apple music covers both but im still pay for match as have since introduction and some of my music will not play either. I can see the tracks in a faded font but cant play them. Also the sound is not as nice as Bluetooth streaming.
iTunes Match was rolled into Apple Music as “iCloud Music Library,” so there’s no need to have both subscriptions. My wife’s playlists have some songs greyed out. I think these are songs that are legacy “iTunes Match” songs rather than AM songs (even though there are AM versions of the same songs, so I believe we just need to refresh the wife’s library and replace the Match songs with their AM counterparts).

Reactions: Scott7
iTunes Match was rolled into Apple Music as “iCloud Music Library,” so there’s no need to have both subscriptions. My wife’s playlists have some songs greyed out. I think these are songs that are legacy “iTunes Match” songs rather than AM songs (even though there are AM versions of the same songs, so I believe we just need to refresh the wife’s library and replace the Match songs with their AM counterparts).
You can try it but it makes no sense to me since I can play all my music as is on chrome with apple music web player 🤔