Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one from Forbes is fact.

Unfortunately.

Tesla Survived Manufacturing Hell--Now Comes The Hard Part

Hopefully Musk will read this and start taking seriously the problems he has been ignoring. It's the only way for Tesla to survive long-term.
Best description yet of the delivery hell experience. Clearly need many more locations with bigger lots so they can fix cosmetic defects before customer delivery. Great article.

This one from Forbes is fact.

Unfortunately.

Hopefully Musk will read this and start taking seriously the problems he has been ignoring. It's the only way for Tesla to survive long-term.
The article describers a pretty typical delivery experience, similar to ours, and surprisingly bad. It amazes me that Tesla can make such fabulous cars and then screw up so bad on things like delivery logistics. The only point I disagree with the author is he states it's not Musk's passion to create a positive customer experience. If you know Musk, you know that's completely false.

Tesla is headed for another disaster with service. They are shipping cars way faster than they are expanding service infrastructure. It's a little surprising because it's not the first time they've made this mistake. I've been a Tesla owner for nearly 8 years and I've seen the same disaster play out every time they release a new model. Something is seriously wrong when an organization can't learn from its own repeated mistakes.

But the cars are fabulous.

But you got to agree that the article does not emphasis, or rather it glosses over the critical fact that all of the paperwork issues the author experienced and he so elaborately writes, is mainly due to the bone headed move by CT govt to not let Tesla have a dealership. Tesla is being forced to work with one of their hands tied to their backs.

Just think why most of the delivery issues are faced in those states that Tesla cannot sell, and so you are forced to reach out to the central Las Vegas office for everything.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
But the cars are fabulous.
So, what is the problem exactly?

First comes the product, then comes everything else. No product, no anything.
How many cars have you bought because the service was excellent even-though the car sucked?

Service can be, will be, is getting fixed. There is no fixing of bad product.

But you got to agree that the article does not emphasis, or rather it glosses over the critical fact that all of the paperwork issues the author experienced and he so elaborately writes, is mainly due to the bone headed move by CT govt to not let Tesla have a dealership. Tesla is being forced to work with one of their hands tied to their backs.

Just think why most of the delivery issues are faced in those states that Tesla cannot sell, and so you are forced to reach out to the central Las Vegas office for everything.
Incorrect. Similar problems happen in every state. Go visit the Model 3 and Model S and Model X delivery forums sometime. Problems in New York. Problems in Nevada.

I'll believe it when I see it. Tesla is burning goodwill every day.

True. The product is necessary but insufficient.
At Rockville Maryland USA service center leasing another building, counted 42 model 3’s yesterday plus same number S, X, roadster. Selling a lot of them.....

Attachments

• 81FAC414-7CF7-40BC-AA9C-382F2D01BE5F.jpeg
    81FAC414-7CF7-40BC-AA9C-382F2D01BE5F.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 0B49D89C-ABD6-4360-876E-D0155D02262D.jpeg
    0B49D89C-ABD6-4360-876E-D0155D02262D.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 46
Some of these problems have been continuous since 2013. While you can call them "growing pains", at some point they become part of corporate culture -- after all, Tesla will continue to grow. I predict they won't improve much unless actual action is taken.

Since the beginning spare parts have been a problem as well as service center access. When Teslas were most common in islands around a relative handful of cities and the fleet was small, they could get away with a small number of service centers, but now getting to a service center is difficult for more people, getting an appointment can be difficult, and while ranger service can cover some things, others require a trip to the service center. For me it's 4 hours out of the week to take my car in, for others in Oregon, it is either one very long day or an overnight trip because there is one service center between Sacramento and Seattle and the coast and Salt Lake City.

From what I've heard, the body shops connected to service centers are quicker turn around than private body shops, but Tesla should stock enough spare parts and put enough priority on sending out parts that it isn't a big problem to get parts for private body shops. And there are not enough Tesla body shops to go around. The nearest one to here is Bellevue, about 3 1/2 hours drive. There was someone in the local Portland Tesla group who did take his damaged Model S to Bellevue and had a good experience, but it was a 2 day trip.

I used to have a Buick Roadmaster, which had a total production over 5 years less than the Model S at this point. I backed into a tree that was leaning over a fence when the car was 5 months old and had to get the trunk lid replaced (the tree hit the trunk lid right on the bend). A local body shop got a trunk lid out of GM in a couple of days. There were maybe 50,000 of these cars on the road at that time, but GM had the parts ready to go.

Making the car so safe it never gets into an accident is a good goal, but it isn't realistic. Even if the car has the best collision avoidance system in the world (which Teslas don't have), the car can still get hit when parked and all systems are turned off. Tesla has been so focused on getting cars out the door, they neglect spare parts for damaged cars. The company owned body shops are not the best answer. They will never get the coverage of private body shops.

Tesla is also a walled garden about service. They are softening up, but they still aren't there. They need to have third party, certified mechanics able to work on these cars. There are a number of Teslas in Bend, OR now, but the nearest service center is in Portland, a mountain range and over 3 hours. This time of year the road can be closed due to snow and the lower altitude route could be a 5 hour drive. Ranger service is available, but they can't touch the car if it needs to be put on a lift. A local auto shop could service these cars if Tesla would let them.

Tesla seems to think that because electric cars need less maintenance, they need less service center support. That may be true over the long haul, but that doesn't help with initial quality problems or problems in systems other than the drive systems.

It's been 6 years and Tesla's response to these problems thus far has been poor.

• Love
The FUD is being pumped out in force. Some idiots drove into a tree at very high speeds and split their car in half (this has happened before), so there's another "fire" story on Business Insider, despite the fact that this happens all the time in gasoline cars.

----
I sometimes wonder why the FUD-spreaders haven't reported the real problems with Tesla (like the service situation, or the communications problems). My hypothesis is that they're working for ICE car companies or oil companies. Because the real problems with Tesla have nothing to do with electric cars, and the propagandists working for oil or ICE car companies need to have something which will attack electric cars.

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
I sometimes wonder why the FUD-spreaders haven't reported the real problems with Tesla (like the service situation, or the communications problems). My hypothesis is that they're working for ICE car companies or oil companies. Because the real problems with Tesla have nothing to do with electric cars, and the propagandists working for oil or ICE car companies need to have something which will attack electric cars.

For me it is more likely that they do not want to give anything even close to impression that everyone and their dog want Model 3. Not that one reason contradicts other, it could be both.

no clicks from me...
You say refuting success, so are they a {Model {S,X,3} , SpaceX} denier?
He admits Tesla cars are quite good and SpaceX is inspiring, but he cuts apart or at least questions the scientific rationale and/or financial validity behind many of the other ventures like Hyperloop, Boring tunnels, solar roofs, ultimate cost savings of reusable 1st stage of SpaceX rockets, etc. I am as bullish as they come, but I posted this to see if some of the more scientific-minded members here could weigh in on the accuracy of his claims and likely be able to refute them back. His writing style is not of the typical FUD/fraud people we normally see present bearish theses.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Scientific-sounding blog article refuting much of Musk’s success and predictions.

Elon and the collective
Reads like it was written by someone with a grade school education at best. It’s also a blog. The random musings of the barely educated who have to be reminded to always flush and don’t look down the barrel of “unloaded” guns. The shallow end of the gene pool

Scientific-sounding blog article refuting much of Musk’s success and predictions.

Elon and the collective
He's actually right about most (not all) of this, but none of it matters financially speaking. It's irrelevant. The Boring Company can abandon the idiotic car transport idea and still make tons of money by undercutting existing companies on tunnel-digging prices. Tesla can remain a chaotic and mismanaged company with a toxic culture and terrible customer service (problems which have at various times been shared by Microsoft, Apple, Standard Oil, GE, Amazon, AT&T, Oracle and many other very successful companies) and still sell every car it makes, as long as the demand for EVs exceeds the supply by a factor of 10 (which it does).

To go into detail on the ones he actually got wrong (rather than just irrelevant): His criticisms of reusable rockets are nonsense; the economics on that one is clear. Even if they blow up twice as often, it's a massive cost savings. Obviously, none of the short-seller criticisms of Tesla are valid (they never mention the real problems). Solar roof tiles are difficult but Tesla actually understands that, is solving the problems, and is cleverly positioning them at a premium-price market, so they'll be a profitable hit. Home batteries will be purchased regardless of whether they "break even", and will be purchased in quantities sufficient to run a home for days, because energy security has an insurance value which he isn't considering in his math.

Last edited: