Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you get bonus points just for playing along! I think we're covered on the deletion. Thanks.

In seminary I got exposed to text criticism and redactive criticism, so it's nice to see some practical application for all that. It good for detecting bias.

In this particualr article, it is hard for me to detect any reportable news. That Tesla's website says the P85D is available in late March hardly seems like news worthy information. So I view this entirely as an opinion piece where the website trivia is just an anecdote to launch the essay.

Perhaps we should be getting background info on Mr Ramsey.

You're welcome. Indeed, an author can twist the facts subtly through implication rather flat out lying. One must wonder about the author's motives, if his editors had to tone down his rhetoric. Reporters are highly dependent upon sources. Hedge fund managers may be more than willing to provide ideas, perhaps even actual words that make the chore of writing so much easier. When I was a financial reporter, people with an agenda often offered unsolicited "help". I ignored them.

i have mixed feelings about this thread

on one hand, i think it's an excellent idea to post links here to discuss their merits

however, its very problematic that mods are cutting discussion in other threads and willy nilly pasting them here. why not leave the original thread alone, but just copy the link here?

the other big problem is the thread's entire concept

- the title: why 'FUD or fact'? and i cant believe the OP called it "FUD bunker" originally....i mean, really? why not simply: "Lets discuss the merits of an article" - a much more productive title for quality discussion.
- the necessity (?) for this thread highlights one of the biggest problems of TMC:

a) the thin-skin, the unwillingness to accept critical or alternative lines of thinking on TM-related topics,
b) the unwelcome mat for ppl who may not have positive things to say about TM
c) and the use of pejoratives.

a number of times, myself and others have been chastised by others for using 'fanboy' in what i honestly, legitimately thought was appropriate to use. and yet....the words 'FUD', 'fud machine' or 'fudster' not only is accepted, but appears to be sanctioned.

might anyone explain in a calm, non-defensive manner how FUD (or its variants, like haters) is not as bad or (imo) worse than 'fanboy'?

heck , try using 'fanboy' in real life - it's part of everyday vernacular, and is sometimes used in a fun, light hearted manner.
but try using 'FUD' or fudsters - you'll get weird looks, as you should. because no normal person uses that. it is the vocabulary of an emotionally defensive person.

ppl's reactions to that WSJ piece is a good example.

PS: i do agree cramer sucks ass.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this.

It is really important, in my opinion, for people to be free to share their thinking about an article, or to ask questions, without fear they will be painted as FUD promoters. We should feel free to take strong positions, but also to be on the fence, without the fear of being accused of pushing any agenda, be it bullish or bearish. Exchange of information, vigorous debate, and depth of analysis are what have always set this forum apart from most investor boards I've seen out there. Anything that makes groupthink more likely has the potential to weaken it.

I agree also. I know a number of folks caught up in the GTAT debacle felt they'd fallen into the groupthink trap. TSLA remains a volatile stock for a number of reasons (true FUD being one of them) and beating down all potential negatives to irrelevancy is not helpful in the short term; and let's not kid ourselves that folks here don't do a lot of short term trading.

Comparing side by side the versions that Curt cited (Tesla Posts Short Waiting Time for Upscale P85D Model S - NASDAQ.com) and what I presently pull from WSJ, it is abundantly clear that this article has been rewriten. The WSJ is much better written stylistically and the tone has been soften and content better supported. I belief Curt's version to be closer to what Ramsey orginally wrote, and therefore more revealing of the author's intention. Note a couple of quotes from Curt's version:

"While Tesla's inventory is far lower than mainstream competitors, ..." WSJ editors removed this comparison with the volume of established automakers. This sort of comparison is standard FUD material, and WSJ editors had the decency to cut it.

"The P85D launch is a litmus test for this model." This line was entirely cut. The notion of a "litmus test" is clearly unmotivated and sets up a kind of strawman hypothesis. In other words, Ramsey is deploying rhetoric to make Tesla look like they are failing in something very critical. Again, WSJ editors had the good sense to cut this.

In analyzing potential FUD, it can be very helpful to pay attention to variations in text. In the world of online publishing it can be simple to change the text, but in doing so we can see the differences in original intent and the role of editors to cover that intent.

- - - Updated - - -

Since this text is valuable for analysis, I would prefer to keep it. I know that this is contrary to TMC. Can anyone find a link to an identical online version? Bonus points to the first person!

Edit: Found it! Tesla Posts Short Waiting Time for Upscale P85D Model S - NASDAQ.com

It looks like Robert got Curt's post.

This is very good and interesting analysis, definitely shines light on the author's intentions.

Just to add, there is another interesting bit: the WSJ article's title is "Tesla Focuses on Pricey Car to Boost Revenue", while similar articles from Marketwatch and Dow Jones Business News titled "Tesla Posts Short Waiting Time for Upscale P85D Model S". This clearly highlights what is the main premise of the article. Interesting to note, that although WSJ editors seem to change the title originally used by author, the URL used in the link for the WSJ article still contains the "real" title - which is identical to the titles used by Martketwatch and DJ Business News.

The links for the non-WSJ variants of the articles:

DJ Business News (via NASDAQ)
MarketWatch

It very important to debunk the FUD floating around, particularly the one about the demand, as it is the most egregious and often used one for quite some time. I am glad, though, that we have a separate thread on this, and do not clutter the Short-Term thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree with this.

It is really important, in my opinion, for people to be free to share their thinking about an article, or to ask questions, without fear they will be painted as FUD promoters. We should feel free to take strong positions, but also to be on the fence, without the fear of being accused of pushing any agenda, be it bullish or bearish. Exchange of information, vigorous debate, and depth of analysis are what have always set this forum apart from most investor boards I've seen out there. Anything that makes groupthink more likely has the potential to weaken it.

I agree with this with one qualifier - it seems that person linking the article has an obligation to share their reasoning, one way or another. Saying something generic like "it can be argued by Bulls and Bears both ways" does not cut it for me.

Last edited:
Now the title of the WSJ article is "Buying a Tesla? Waits Are Short for the Priciest"

I don't get why they keep changing titles. Is it to get to the top of the newsfeed? Kind of annoying the same article keeps getting posted repetitively. If they constantly change the title and content, it is much harder to hold them accountable for what was written. This isn't journalism, it's advertising.

Now the title of the WSJ article is "Buying a Tesla? Waits Are Short for the Priciest"

I don't get why they keep changing titles. Is it to get to the top of the newsfeed? Kind of annoying the same article keeps getting posted repetitively. If they constantly change the title and content, it is much harder to hold them accountable for what was written. This isn't journalism, it's advertising.

Bloomberg does this all the time, and it always seemed to me extremely likely for the very reasons you are saying (Bloomberg doesn't even usually bother changing the title).

Let me be clear about one thing. This is the thread where anyone can post FUD or Hype without fear of being called a FUDster or fanboy. The point of posting here is to analyze and refute intentionally misleading media originating beyond TMC. The point is to have a place where we can attack the distortions without attacking one another. I see no need to surgarcoat our language, so long as our intent is to attack distortion and misinformation.

I will also take credit for the original thread name, FUD Bunker. For me, this was an expression of how Tesla investors get daily bombardment from well heeled anti-Tesla propagandists and so might need a bunker, and it was a pun for debunking which is a proper task for handling misinformation. My apologies to anyone who may have taken offense to this. If you feel personally slighted, please send me a PM so we can work this out.

Remember this, fear, uncertainty and doubt are the enemy, not fellow TMC members.

Let me be clear about one thing. This is the thread where anyone can post FUD or Hype without fear of being called a FUDster or fanboy. The point of posting here is to analyze and refute intentionally misleading media originating beyond TMC. The point is to have a place where we can attack the distortions without attacking one another. I see no need to surgarcoat our language, so long as our intent is to attack distortion and misinformation.

I will also take credit for the original thread name, FUD Bunker. For me, this was an expression of how Tesla investors get daily bombardment from well heeled anti-Tesla propagandists and so might need a bunker, and it was a pun for debunking which is a proper task for handling misinformation. My apologies to anyone who may have taken offense to this. If you feel personally slighted, please send me a PM so we can work this out.

Remember this, fear, uncertainty and doubt are the enemy, not fellow TMC members.

jhm, great idea for a thread, but the thread name that has such dubious makeup word as FUD is just not my cup of tea, but hey, we all have different tastes, some people can find the term fitting

I also disagree that fear is the enemy. Fear can be a life saver or an account saver, in this case. Uncertainty and doubt are my best friends as well, as I would be very hesitant to go through any decision with high stakes on it without questioning myself.

If there is 'FUD' out there attacking Tesla, in my view FUD can only do so much damage before backfiring on 'FUD' generators, not on investors. I would like to think that Tesla investors are able to tease out facts from fiction. If they are not, their accounts will suffer.

Now a short update on possibly the most popular Tesla "FUD" generator (in the past), Jeremy Clarkson.

In case someone is not familiar with Top Gear show that prompted Tesla lawsuit, the link to the story is here. Briefly, JC falsely presented Tesla losing power on his very popular show.

That was in 2008, when Tesla was far more vulnerable to such attacks. I did not know of Tesla in 2008, but I find it very likely that the damage to Tesla's image was real, at a time when that image was at the beginning stage of being built. Tesla lost lawsuit on the premise that Top Gear is an entertainment show that does not claim to be truthful.

JC seems to be suspended by BBC, on an unrelated matter. It seems to me that the unrelated matter is just the last straw that broke the camel's back, something akin to Al Capone getting busted on tax noncompliance.

I think this example just nicely demonstrates that the damaging behaviour eventually backfires on the originator, one way or the other.

Last edited:
http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/david-stockman-tears-apart-tesla

This is a truly FUD based piece. It was reprinted and commented on in a number of articles less than a month ago. Stockman has a history of attacking Tesla. His article actively ignores the fact that Tesla paid back their loan. As FUD as it gets...
It may be helpful to analyze the Stockman piece from the perspective of who the target audience is and how Stockman connects with that audience in language and values. Specifically, Stockman is tailoring his message to a particular kind of political conservative who is deeply skeptical of the Fed "printing money" and the government "wasting taxpayer's money." Clearly this blurs the distinction between politics and investing.

Here's my basic question: is stockman trying to achieve political goals by attacking Tesla or is he trying to achieve stock manipultion goals by deploying political attack language against Tesla?

Moderator's Note

One more (and hopefully final) iteration on the thread name, which I hope addresses the concerns expressed with the original name. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

Re a complaint about moderators moving posts across threads, or into new threads: TMC moderators routinely move posts that are pulling a thread off-topic. The point of this thread is to provide space for a focused discussion about news articles, where such discussion is likely to derail other threads (e.g. Short-Term Price Movements). Nigel and I have been "curating" the Investor Discussions this way for years, and I hope that the net effect is to promote cogent conversations. For better or worse, our software platform doesn't allow replies to be read sequentially, so reading fast-moving threads like Short-Term can be challenging if there are too many unrelated conversations going on.

I do not see how the main argument of this article can be turned either way, and that is why I asked Lump to indicate **why** he thinks the main premise of this article is not FUD. Unfortunately, and not entirely surprising to me, he never answered.

In my post I did not indicate that the author of the article said Tesla was lying, instead he clearly implied it. Here is the quote that I had in mind: "The short wait time—in the past year deliveries have been as long as three months—raises concerns about the strength of demand for Tesla’s pricey cars." To make his point about questioning the veracity of Tesla's statement clear, the author then proceeds to indicate that " Last month, it said the order backlog included 10,000 deposits for its Model S and 20,000 for the Model X"

Of course the reasoning author is using to imply that Tesla is lying about the backlog is verifiably faulty. If the wait time for the most expensive variant of the Model S is "just 20 days", but wait for the other variants is two month, it is clear that total backlog is is NOT defined by the shorter wait for the P85D. In fact, the shorter wait time for the "P" variant is irrelevant as far as determining the backlog of orders goes, because the company prioritizes deliveries of the "P" cars.

The statement from the article that I quoted above also includes false assertion that in the past year deliveries (of the most expensive "performance" variants) of the car have been as long as three month. In reality the wait time for the "P" variants was always around one month or less, never three months.

So I explained in detail what is my reasoning for labeling this article FUD is: it certainly designed to create doubt about reporting from the company.

You seem to share Lump's opinion that argument can be turned either way, so allow me to repeat the question I asked of Lump to you: why specifically do you think that the main premise of this article is **not** FUD?

In my opinion you're focusing on one point and assuming it's a deliberate mis-read of the situation by the author. I read it to be useful commentary in some parts and uneducated in others; a sound piece of journalism would hopefully have had better research but the truth is that takes time and this short piece is clearly a filler story. Serious investors won't take stories like this as a trigger to buy or sell stock so I'm always mildly surprised why folks here get so worked up about these things.

Seeing as you asked for my view I'm going to dissect the article but please understand that I don't intend to enter a circular debate with anyone and I'm quite happy to have different opinions....

Link: tesla-posts-short-waiting-time-for-upscale-p85d-model-s

Firstly, there's been some comment about the headline, true it's changed a couple of times but that also isn't unusual in any field of online journalism; it's about building clicks not necessarily agenda and more clicks equals more revenue.

Buying a Tesla? Waits Are Short for the Priciest
Electric-car maker’s dual-motor P85D, costing $105,000, are a delivery priority
That headline doesn't look like FUD to me; it's a statement of fact confirmed by Tesla that they are prioritizing the top end cars. BTW, that also happens to be good business sense and as an investor I appreciate that.

Tesla Motors says it can deliver a P85D Model S four-wheel-drive luxury electric sedan within 20 days, indicating the company has a relatively strong supply of the car.
This photo caption isn't bad news either, considering that Tesla has been saying in the past that they were production constrained and not demand constrained; it can easily be read that supply is getting stronger.

The first three paragraphs are fact that are apparently confirmed by Tesla in the fourth paragraph.

A spokeswoman said the company has prioritized deliveries of the P85D. The short wait time—in the past year deliveries have been as long as three months—raises concerns about the strength of demand for Tesla’s pricey cars.
This paragraph (after the first sentence there) makes little sense either way; the author says that Tesla confirmed they're prioritizing but then assumes that questions demand. It also ignores production efficiencies and capacity expansion but it's also possible that the author just didn't do his homework for this filler piece.

This week, Tesla confirmed it is trimming staff in China amid weaker-than-expected demand there.
Folks may jump on that statement about "weaker-than-expected" demand, but it also reads as Tesla confirmed it. On the other hand though the following paragraph provided some balance:
The company’s fourth quarter securities filing shows strong continued interest in its cars despite low gasoline prices. Wall Street analysts believe there is pent-up demand for Model S sedans. Last month, it said the order backlog included 10,000 deposits for its Model S and 20,000 for the Model X.

Then the next paragraph speaks purely to Tesla's reporting and I doubt there's an investor on this board who wouldn't like more information:
Investors hungry for details about the company’s progress toward meeting its 2015 delivery goals aren’t likely to be sated soon. Unlike most auto makers, Tesla doesn’t release its unit sales on a monthly basis, doesn’t disclose inventory of unsold cars available for sale and doesn’t disclose unit sales by geographic region.
What follows then is reasonable discussion about what Tesla's numbers might be and how inventory is really measured; that subject has also been discussed on TMC.

A nice compliment to the car and favorable comparison to Porsche and Ferrari follows and the piece ends with a statement that isn't good or bad, it just reflects what the situation is:
That paucity of sales data leads to wild variations in sales estimates for the electric car maker.
Which is one of the many reasons TSLA is a volatile stock.

-------

So overall, sure there's some homework lacking but I think there is also room to question that this was an intentional piece of FUD. The bulls may assume that there's an intentional implication of poor demand while the bears might argue that the focus is on a lack of true numbers and the difficulties of forecasting a volatile share price. On balance I personally can't get too excited about the article one way or the other; I do think that we should be critical enough to question things from all angles and not just be boosters talking up all the positives and poo-poohing negatives.

Last edited:
I posted a chart a couple of days ago that showed just how manipulated the price action is right now. Here's the updated chart (it's a 1 hour timeframe for each bar):

View attachment 74478

Notice how the apple rumor was an easy "build it up and break it down", both analyst reports from Lovallo and Brian Johnson were exaggerated while positive reports from Baird, Dougherty, and Credit Suisse were ignored. The only real good news which was even partially priced in was that Tesla was staffing for their stationary storage unit, which was immediately followed by a false rumor of a delay at the Gigafactory, and reports of the Chinese layoffs. The crazy part is the layoffs happened at the beginning of the year, the news was first found out last Thursday, and it wasn't reported until today. I think its clear that this news event's timeline was manipulated to achieve the largest downward pressure on the stock. Moreover, Elon Musk specifically warned us that the sales team was telling people that it was hard to charge in China, so is it any surprise that there were layoffs? Also, the news that Tesla received consumer reports top pick 2nd year in a row and the confirmation that the Gigafactory was on track were not priced in at all.

All of this manipulation has now sent the stock into way oversold territory and BELOW where it was right after the earnings report. Ask yourself, has anything legitimate come up since then to warrant such a price movement? I think this is the last push by the Bears just as TSLA was at $200 to try to create a sell-off by pushing TSLA under $200 for a couple of days (using these manipulative tactics). I wonder if this is what was happening with bulls at $290?

I really like how this chart shows the interplay of Hype and FUD. In retrospect, I think the Apple rumors were harmful to the recovery of the stock. "Build it up and break it down." The prospect of Apple magically tripling the value of your shares is just too good to be true, and it is no sustainable way to grow shareholder value. This is the risk of Hype to shareholders.

Thanks, 32no. Please keep these coming.

Mr. Lovallo is out with yet another note on TSLA, predicting gloom and doom due to weak demand and exposure to "daunting liability" due to resale value guarantee in European markets and Japan.
Digest from StreetInsider.com:

BofA/Merrill Lynch analyst John Lovalllo was out negative on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) late Wednesday afternoon, saying the company is pulling out all the stops to curb weak demand. The firm reiterated an Underperform rating and price target of $65.00.
Lovalllo said news Tesla now is offering its resale value guarantee program in all of the 11 European markets and Japan, supports their view that demand is much weaker than the company expected.
While the program may stimulate incremental near-term sales, it "introduces significant financial risk over the coming years", the analyst notes. They continue to believe "Model S residual values will trend down meaningfully as more supply hits the secondary market, leaving the company with a potentially daunting liability."
The analyst also notes other items point to weak Model S demand, including "posts on the Tesla Motors Club forum indicate that customers are now being offered up to $10K discounts on showroom vehicles (2X previous discount)."
For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.
Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $190.32 yesterday