Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Build 2023 Quality Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just wondering the same thing as I got my vin this morning and it looks like an Austin build
The only difference between the two is that Fremont LR will probably have the newer Matrix headlights. Right now there's no big advantage to those though because they don't have any additional functionality. Tesla could in the future release an update to add this but I haven't heard of any planned software update nor a timeline for such an update.

I placed my order on 1/13 and was matched with a VIN that day. It was an Austin build (date 12/22) that was already on the lot in Kansas-City; VIN 7SAY, PA04. I was finally able to give it a really good cleaning over the weekend and really the only things I can see is there's a slightly larger gap on one side of the frunk compared to the other and the passenger side trim on the non-driver side of the car sticks out a little bit more than on the driver side. Neither of these are really noticeable unless I'm really looking for them so I consider them non-issues. Other than that the rest of the exterior/interior seems as good as can be and I haven't noticed any rattling/weird noises while driving. I tried to capture what I was talking about in pictures:
I will say that after 17 days the driver side door closes much easier now. I haven't had any passengers so the other doors have not been used much at all. I guess the seals do need a little time to "break in". Seems to be a common complaint that Austin build doors take a bit of force to close at first. Not sure if that's a Fremont thing as well.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I will say that after 17 days the driver side door closes much easier now. I haven't had any passengers so the other doors have not been used much at all. I guess the seals do need a little time to "break in". Seems to be a common complaint that Austin build doors take a bit of force to close at first. Not sure if that's a Fremont thing as well.
Yes, my driver side door was my only complaint for my Austin build 2023 MY, since it wouldn't shut unless I put a lot of force on it. Well, after just a couple weeks it is working perfectly. Just need to give it time to break in.

Is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.

My vehicle is an Austin built LR (December 2022) that has an F in the 8th digit. My insurance actually identifies it as a Model Y Performance (they said it doesn't affect my rate though).

The theory is that Austin either received or is receiving the new motors and since they don't produce performance models they were/are putting them in LR models.

Last edited:
  • Informative
So I've stated in previous threads that I'm not one for going through with a white glove and check listing delivery items. It was cloudy, and we weren't rushed by our delivery guy. We spent time looking it over for anything obvious, but nothing stood out. Our SA said any issues in the first few days just to bring back and they will take care of.

Now that we've had a chance to drive the car home, and during a very bright day here in Indiana we've noticed 3 slight issues we may need to address. I'm looking for advice on others who have had similar issues, and where you focus your attention during your service visits.

1. Car has a slight misalignment (only 2 miles on the car so I'm sure no one in QA drove it enough to notice). Pulls to the left.

2. This is our first Tesla in cold weather, so we put the windows up and closed the doors while exiting. Then we noticed "zpzzpt" the windows come down slightly. We know this is part of the icing avoidance - However the passenger window lowers farther than the driver side and sticks our slightly. Should this be of any concern or worry here?

3. As I was taking pictures I noticed a slight "indention" on the front windshield where it meets up with the roof of the car. This seems like it may be an issue but is it a risk for them to replace a brand new cars windshield this early?

Also Tesla Service (the app) has been great in communicating - however the invoice reads north of $1400 - I'm assuming all of this will be covered. We are still under 100miles and only had the vehicle for one day. Our Sales Associate said we would be fine, but I can't get anyone to commit to that on my text messages. :)

Attachments​

• IMG_1172.PNG
    IMG_1172.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 2
I actually saw your YouTube video about your delivery experience. Thanks for posting that. I'll be picking up my car from the same service center and feel relieved to hear I don't have to find every issue before driving off the lot.

Is anyone's 8th digit of the VIN F (indicates performance motor)? There's another thread here where it was found out that some 2023 Model Y LR models are coming with the 4D1 rear motor (new hairpin motor for performance models). There's only been a few people who responded in that thread and it seems everyone who had an F were Austin built Model Y LR in December. Wondering if there are examples of vehicles built after that date with F in the VIN.

My vehicle is an Austin built LR (December 2022) that has an F in the 8th digit. My insurance actually identifies it as a Model Y Performance (they said it doesn't affect my rate though).

The theory is that Austin either received or is receiving the new motors and since they don't produce performance models they were/are putting them in LR models.
We should make a poll and track how many of these LRs have the 4D1 motor and the F in the 8th position. Seems to be just us 3 so far but there must have been a decently large batch. I'm curious if it was sporadic or if all the LRs from a certain date range had the 4D1 motor.

I also wonder if this means Austin is gearing up to make MYPs or if they just ran out of motors and needed the 4D1s to fill the need.

Also has anyone recently gotten a MYP? Do they now carry the 4D1 or the older 980 motors?

We should make a poll and track how many of these LRs have the 4D1 motor and the F in the 8th position. Seems to be just us 3 so far but there must have been a decently large batch. I'm curious if it was sporadic or if all the LRs from a certain date range had the 4D1 motor.

I also wonder if this means Austin is gearing up to make MYPs or if they just ran out of motors and needed the 4D1s to fill the need.

Also has anyone recently gotten a MYP? Do they now carry the 4D1 or the older 980 motors?
Yeah...really odd. I posted in a few other threads but I've only found one other person who reported a friend picking up their Austin LR a few weeks ago after ordering right after the price drops (LR was in inventory) who had an F in the 8th digit of their VIN. That's very similar to my story and I think would place the build date most likely around the same December timeframe as what everyone else is reporting. Honestly kinda makes me wonder if they mistakenly got a small shipment of new motors and decided it was more cost effective to put them in the LR models rather than having to ship them back.

Last edited:
Austin and Fremont MYLR builds are now on par except for Fremont cars getting Matrix lights (at least for now, it has been off and on over the past 6 months).
Fremont makes all the MYP and 7 seaters (at least for now).
MYP always come with Matrix lights. 7 seaters don't come with cargo cover.
My MYLR Fremont build picked up this week has matrix headlights.

Reactions: arbitrage000
Honestly kinda makes me wonder if they mistakenly got a small shipment of new motors and decided it was more cost effective to put them in the LR models rather than having to ship them back.
My Austin build MY LR has the 4D1 motor, as discussed in a couple other threads. As I understand, Austin doesn't even build Model Y Performance vehicles, so I also wondered if they accidentally received some P motors and decided to just install them to a LR. But I shared my 4D1 placard with a a very knowledgeable person in another thread and he said the data says it was actually built in Austin on December 9th, 2022.

He decoded my placard as follows:

GTX22343 000HYB
Motor Production Plant: Giga Texas
Production Date: 9th of December 2022
Unique Motor identifier: 000HYB

Attachments

• Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Submitting mobile service for my Austin build that was picked up on 2/1. Passenger front window trim is too high and gets caught on A pillar. Also there's something rolling around behind the driver inside the chassis. When turning or braking hard you can hear something rolling on metal. Ironically I installed the floor vent covers on day 1 to avoid this kind of issue. No one has even sat in the back yet so it's 100% foreign object from the factory.

3hpuTtamu8an_gA_a5D7uYwALej_oC1lCKueNanItaG5v4fK537hTQZrOWvfqUvxV7CUxTTMlUILtuFPc294vB0CHGT7Rd9mu0jBMGKOdKfERYRwBPrIBrQ-hk9R4nB9zqUGUS8u_qRzpdXGJwgoSzXkCq3zYTTNUb9uMQbr4x0LVsRrX_POLw9qWbl2n2QJ7ja3HFi9fxe0H38CKw-JYBRPN2wv2QuZ0KTIEK8oBirpdAVf9znbaGFD9n9sp3WOwrRV6BRzbNOM54HftN8pvsXuDZfyesVcLmy3Ual1UYLo1PhO68p0W2plFOo1xC-cwbDZbI_rntgOJFMOcqBY6Ceib-afIJFmwiCMRI2VrngUzx5BMjAzC1CTi2MzrbxHy2FfEpZPxnG9brsuCQ5PJTBi_X-SY90X7zs3D1JdzcgVuSdnk5HnhWL-omKRe6969RQA7604pDQallciM3n11ct_FYwW6BbMdIS-sHlL5rjWMWVveA-TCulLHxizE4fI1Dw7H7CxopaigIjEtcArtX75ZUTA3rS1j7yno1P4PfjPnpyuFfn-ppMXVBP0IvZlS0oCFRtwRoyrcomt5DJ012Tzf3FLJ6tZXuHjarn1gFI8ktzlInaSoTHD5L1YnT-4kEDT5DlQiJ1N7Z6azlHUEnu7t6YPULnosZ_9MTQJdSYsauYCDf8w_Isz9jEZvkE4BWZJIzMIj9saEsO2ysD2_zK65m7WC5FVj531G9slt8E6KmsYIXA4Fv33uQREd1IvhrL-TIKzeMDSe4kCgL4wQffsczicM5yDcYWL363e1kSn-mWnBCINbVUq3LFcEJsIoV717iDnY_PwH-BGFRSO_3F3p3TvaU_dndgL1NBSB-bDrVCrM-sWgm1-jwpleq3C8V5LyBC2qdRLXErKUANWCX3Y8Qm3-ycSb2ImprxEfJpRnQ=w508-h677-no

We picked our base white/black Austin built MYLR last month. It was a rainy day when we picked it up, so the detailed inspection was done after we got home. Overall it's all good. Three service requests were submitted for the car and done a week later:

1. The driver side cargo trunk cover has large uneven gap to the body. This seems to a common problem on Model Y. The service technician first said it probably was within Tesla spec, but did promise he will measure it. In the end, he did make some adjustment and it looked much better after.
2. The rubber seal on the rear passenger side door frame wasn't tucked all the way in. It was an easy fix for him.
3. The front bumper has a minor paint defect with a small paint droplet residue. When we brought it up I said it would probably be a simple sanding job for him. To our surprise, the technician decided to replace the front bumper all together. We will go back next week to have the new bumper installed.

I was first excited when I saw we were assigned an Austin built VIN. At that time, I was only starting to read forum discussions on MY, and I was made to believe that the Austin built would have better frame casting and better paint quality than the Fremont build. Both were dis-proven after more reading. The only definite difference was the Fremont build has very good chance of getting Matrix light. I was feeling a little regretful not opting for the White interior, at which time of Mid-Late last month, almost all were from Fremont. I am over that now.

On a separate note, my VIN is E on the 8th digit, not F like some lucky ones. Although some people did report getting the 980 rear motor with an “E” VIN. I tried to go under the car to find out the motor model, but I cannot locate it. All I can see are metal covers with no apparent motor/cables in sight.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 157
Picked mine up today. Inspected the car over and over and couldn’t find much, until I talked to the guy cleaning/dusting my car about panels gaps. He pointed me to the only 2 he felt while cleaning the car. They felt super minor to me and wouldn’t have noticed them if he didn’t show me. Regardless, opened up a ticket and we’ll see how that goes.

Also, along the passenger front seat there was a cable routed that was in between the seat and passenger door. Looked out of place and mentioned it there. It was out of place and it was tucked/routed to where it should be. Waited about 20 min there for them to do jt