Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_7228.jpeg

So I was driving home from the gym tonight with the windows open, ice cube blaring and me trying to catch my breath and not spew.
Then I was thinking, you never see teslas driving around with their windows open.

Is that a thing?

Do you ever drive your m3 with you windows open to let the fresh air in and the farts and pubes out?

Maybe people in Adelaide just keep their windows shut so they don’t get car jacked or a durrie butt to the face from some twat in a Mitsubishi triton…
Fart in my car you’re out

Reactions: Cocoboy and dronus
Does the phone have to be unlocked (faceid, watch in proximity etc) to unlock the car? How far away from the car does your phone have to be so that someone else can’t unlock or open the car?
The phone doesn't have to be unlocked - it would be pretty annoying if it did - but the car does measure the proximity and it has to be close (in my tests, within about 2-3 metres of the car). The Bluetooth range is a lot longer than this - out to 30m or more - but that's not enough on its own to activate the proximity unlock.

Set PIN-to-drive as well, though. Someone might lift your phone, after all.

Reactions: dronus
The phone doesn't have to be unlocked - it would be pretty annoying if it did - but the car does measure the proximity and it has to be close (in my tests, within about 2-3 metres of the car). The Bluetooth range is a lot longer than this - out to 30m or more - but that's not enough on its own to activate the proximity unlock.

Set PIN-to-drive as well, though. Someone might lift your phone, after all.
I found sometimes the car doesnt pick up the phone even when standing next to car and you try to open the door or boot and it takes a few seconds or I have to take phone out and unlock. I used the PIN to drive for about 2 days then it became so annoying I turned it off. Maybe if I was in Compton I may consider it but I dont see any immediate threat to having someone steal my phone to steal my car :)

Cool thanks for the info. I guess I am just concerned that if where my phone is at night is too close to the car, someone could just walk up to it and open the doors and steal stuff etc.
I guess I could set an automation to disable Bluetooth connections to the car or the Tesla app while my phone is in sleep focus… hmm will have to try and remember to test that.
I was just curious how you guys manage that or if it’s not really an issue :)
I doubt the crims down the Port are smart enough to be doing a relay attack or know that the car is controlled via the phone. As you walk away the car honks to let you know its locked and mirrors fold in. As long as that happens and you don't turn back to the car then you will have no problems.

I doubt the crims down the Port are smart enough to be doing a relay attack or know that the car is controlled via the phone. As you walk away the car honks to let you know its locked and mirrors fold in. As long as that happens and you don't turn back to the car then you will have no problems.
At the Port about 3 seconds after you walk away youll find yourself in your own car boot, phone and all.