Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who did you get to do your WC? I'm in Henley Beach and just trying to work out what to do at my house currently.

So you are saying the sparky you've invited knew which pins should be used? :) Are you anywhere south-east from Adelaide?
Also, did they use the same circuit or made a separate one for WC?

I am a sparky and so is my brother in law so we did the work ourselves.

You can see inside the 5pin plug to verify which pins they used and they were following the Australian standards (line1, neutral, earth).

If you are using the 15a plug with the UMC it’s a good idea to either run a new 2.5mm circuit or have the maximum demand and condition of the existing cabling verified.

10a plug should work fine with existing sockets but will be heaps slow.

You definitely need a separate 6mm circuit for the WC, and the sparkie will need to work out if you have capacity available in your existing switchboard and follow any local regulations.

For anyone wanting to know what comes with the Gen 2 UMC:

- 2 plugs (1 x 10amp & 1 x 15amp)
- Nice carry bag with a grippy side so it doesn’t slide around in your trunk/frunk :cool:

Feels very solid and well built.

I ordered it on Wed and it arrived today via StarTrack express from Victoria.

IMG_9126.jpeg

IMG_9127.jpeg

What do ADR say about 5-pin plug and WC installed on the same circuit, taking into account that both of them are never used simultaneously?
They will require separate circuits unless you run larger cable and circuit protection.

Also, using an isolator for the WC is a good idea if it is further than a few meters from the circuit board.

Although realistically the circuit breaker will protect the wiring if they were both used at the same time the maximum demand determins cabling and protection.

Your sparkie will know all this and take it into account when quoting etc.

Reactions: sishome
For anyone wanting to know what comes with the Gen 2 UMC:

- 2 plugs (1 x 10amp & 1 x 15amp)
- Nice carry bag with a grippy side so it doesn’t slide around in your trunk/frunk :cool:

Feels very solid and well built.

I ordered it on Wed and it arrived today via StarTrack express from Victoria.

View attachment 997464
View attachment 997465
It’s actually a really nice bit of kit! I like how it includes the door flap opening button on the handle.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Agreed! Very handy to have that button.. I can't help but think I broke the flap when man-handling it the other day on the demo model to close it.. The Tesla rep reassured me that's 1 of 3 ways to close it...
I felt guilty leaving finger prints on the bonnet after closing the frunk the other day.

When I took the other one home to test the WC I think the flap closed by itself?

As a side note, in the delivery centre they had quite a big detailing area where they seemed to be polishing cars before delivery. I didn’t realise they did that..

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
I have to get a mobile charger too. Anyone done any research on non-Tesla chargers?

And also, can you moderate how much comes through the 3 phase charger? I have a 3 phase charger already installed, it’s good for a quick charge at 11kwh. But I want to use solar whenever I can, and my solar cells and battery don’t discharge fast enough when I use the 3phase charger - they supply just 4kwh to the charge leaving a shortfall of about 7kwh that has to come from my electricity provider. If I could reduce the flow, it would be great, but I doubt it can do it.

It’s ok if I am not in a rush to charge the car and just use a wall socket (which I think allows for somewhere in the 2kwh range). I can safely charge the car using only solar and/or battery.

Reactions: dronus
I have to get a mobile charger too. Anyone done any research on non-Tesla chargers?

And also, can you moderate how much comes through the 3 phase charger? I have a 3 phase charger already installed, it’s good for a quick charge at 11kwh. But I want to use solar whenever I can, and my solar cells and battery don’t discharge fast enough when I use the 3phase charger - they supply just 4kwh to the charge leaving a shortfall of about 7kwh that has to come from my electricity provider. If I could reduce the flow, it would be great, but I doubt it can do it.

It’s ok if I am not in a rush to charge the car and just use a wall socket (which I think allows for somewhere in the 2kwh range). I can safely charge the car using only solar and/or battery.
I think you can change the charge rate from the car screen, and maybe from the Tesla app when using a Tesla v3 WC.

This is why I installed the Fronius Wattpilot. It communicates in real time with my Fronius inverter and (when in eco mode) will adjust charging power to match excess PV power that would otherwise go to the grid. It won't consume power from the house battery (a BYD!) and will slow down (and stop) car charging to match what's available. On days when I'm not running the air con, this will often see me with 9kW available for car charging. Days like today (38 degrees) with the air con chugging away, I only had about 4 kW spare for car charging.

Mind you, it did cost twice as much as the Tesla wall mounted charger...

This is why I installed the Fronius Wattpilot. It communicates in real time with my Fronius inverter and (when in eco mode) will adjust charging power to match excess PV power that would otherwise go to the grid. It won't consume power from the house battery (a BYD!) and will slow down (and stop) car charging to match what's available. On days when I'm not running the air con, this will often see me with 9kW available for car charging. Days like today (38 degrees) with the air con chugging away, I only had about 4 kW spare for car charging.

Mind you, it did cost twice as much as the Tesla wall mounted charger...
That’s pretty awesome. Run the house and charge the car for free from the sun and make a little extra coin when there is excess