Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video from WuWa as per Dronus’ post above. Incredible drone shots. So many Model 3 Highlands!

This is insane how much Giga Shanghai is pumping out.

DJ is expected back in Shanghai next Friday, so I’d expect a lot of these to be loaded up and sent our way :cool: . Hopefully all September and some October orders receiving VINs shortly after 🤞

• Love
Reactions: dronus and Tesl3on
1701973656200.png

Do you have 3 phases? I'm thinking about installing a wall socket and trying to decide if 5-pin is better than 3-pin...
Nah I only have single phase.

I put a gen3 wall charger out the front for most of my charging and a single phase, 5 pin socket in the shed for when the car is in the shed.

I went the 5 pin socket so I could get the 5 pin plug for my UMC and bring it with me out and about.

Nah I only have single phase.

I put a gen3 wall charger out the front for most of my charging and a single phase, 5 pin socket in the shed for when the car is in the shed.

I went the 5 pin socket so I could get the 5 pin plug for my UMC and bring it with me out and about.
gen3 wall charger supplies the same current as UMC if that 3 or 5 pin plug is provided... So I was thinking to avoid installing it. For me the question is which plug is better - 5 or 3 pin, and how 5 pin is installed in single phase situation.

Reactions: dronus
gen3 wall charger supplies the same current as UMC if that 3 or 5 pin plug is provided... So I was thinking to avoid installing it. For me the question is which plug is better - 5 or 3 pin, and how 5 pin is installed in single phase situation.
Yeah I thought about it for a while and ended up with what I hope is best for me.

As my car will mostly be on the driveway I didn’t want to have a UMC out there where it could get wet/stolen etc so permanently installing a gen3 WC seems like a good idea. I own my house so can do whatever I want installing stuff, and it only adds value to the house if I decide to leg it.
There is also some app integration and car security features with the WC which was appealing. I put in a new 32a single phase circuit to power it.

The UMC was bought to put in the car for emergencies or opportunistic charging. It comes with the 10a and 15a tail which might get me out of trouble if I find a hidden Airbnb near some German backpackers or netball team for a weekend, but thought I’d get the 32a plug too just in case it accidentally falls into the socket at work every now and then, or whatever.
I looked into 3pin vs 5pin, there are lots of opinions on both, but I looked on PlugShare and noticed the 5pin was around more compared to 3pin, and then there is 20a sockets at caravan parks etc etc etc.
you could get all of them if you got carried away but it’s unlikely I would ever be there in the first place. The UMC is single phase, but the adr approved docket is just wired to pick up one phase, neutral and earth.
I did get a 15a socket for the shed originally, but decided after getting the 32a tail I’d upgrade the cabling and put a 32a socket in.
Electrical rules can vary from state to state so it always pays to use a licenced electrician.

Yeah I thought about it for a while and ended up with what I hope is best for me.

As my car will mostly be on the driveway I didn’t want to have a UMC out there where it could get wet/stolen etc so permanently installing a gen3 WC seems like a good idea. I own my house so can do whatever I want installing stuff, and it only adds value to the house if I decide to leg it.
There is also some app integration and car security features with the WC which was appealing. I put in a new 32a single phase circuit to power it.

The UMC was bought to put in the car for emergencies or opportunistic charging. It comes with the 10a and 15a tail which might get me out of trouble if I find a hidden Airbnb near some German backpackers or netball team for a weekend, but thought I’d get the 32a plug too just in case it accidentally falls into the socket at work every now and then, or whatever.
I looked into 3pin vs 5pin, there are lots of opinions on both, but I looked on PlugShare and noticed the 5pin was around more compared to 3pin, and then there is 20a sockets at caravan parks etc etc etc.
you could get all of them if you got carried away but it’s unlikely I would ever be there in the first place. The UMC is single phase, but the adr approved docket is just wired to pick up one phase, neutral and earth.
I did get a 15a socket for the shed originally, but decided after getting the 32a tail I’d upgrade the cabling and put a 32a socket in.
Electrical rules can vary from state to state so it always pays to use a licenced electrician.
Who did you get to do your WC? I'm in Henley Beach and just trying to work out what to do at my house currently.

decided after getting the 32a tail I’d upgrade the cabling and put a 32a socket in.
So you are saying the sparky you've invited knew which pins should be used? :) Are you anywhere south-east from Adelaide?
Also, did they use the same circuit or made a separate one for WC?

Reactions: dronus