Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I think is that there would be a dedicated ship that leaves Shanghai in July and will carry 3000-4000 Model 3s for Australia and New Zealand (not sharing ships with Ys). If Tesla wants they could easily produce these 3000-4000 RHD Model 3s within a week of time.
Maybe. But so far we only have evidence for that handful of days. My thinking is that those vins may not even reach into the hundreds.

Basically if 3 days of orders equals 100 cars, say. Then all orders from December to March would equal 4000. Then 14% of 4000 (for LR) is 560. So 4560 orders total. Which sounds about right to me.

If it were 1000, we'd be looking at 40,000 orders which we know it probably isn't.

Last edited:
Maybe. But so far we only have evidence for that handful of days. My thinking is that those vins may not even reach into the hundreds.
Unless Tesla mixes Y and 3s on one ship? It's hard for me to believe that they would ship thousands of ys and hundreds of 3s that would probably leave Model 3 buyers (who waited so long) to cry for another few months. Production will continue in a few days and we shall wait and see.

Basically if 3 days of orders equals 100 cars, say. Then all orders from December to March would equal 4000. Then 14% of 4000 (for LR) is 560. So 4560 orders total. Which sounds about right to me.

If it were 1000, we'd be looking at 40,000 orders which we know it probably isn't.
Except there are also RWD VINs assigned too. Tesla doesn't have any production issues with LFP batteries (made so many Model y allocations) therefore hard to believe they are going to ignore Model 3 RWD.

Unless Tesla mixes Y and 3s on one ship? It's hard for me to believe that they would ship thousands of ys and hundreds of 3s that would probably leave Model 3 buyers (who waited so long) to cry for another few months. Production will continue in a few days and we shall wait and see.
I guess my point is that if they were producing these cars from the 28th to shutdown, then they only produced 100 odd. Which is a tiny proportion of output.
Except there are also RWD VINs assigned too. Tesla doesn't have any production issues with LFP batteries (made so many Model y allocations) therefore hard to believe they are going to ignore Model 3 RWD.
Yes. My calculations include RWD. That's the 4000 number.

3 days of production for RWD (16, 17, 18 January orders). I am assuming 100 produced and using that to show how many vins might have been assigned.

4 months = 120 days (ish)
120 days ÷ 3 (days of production that made 100 cars) = 40 (3 day blocks)
100 × 40 = 4000

1 day of LR (4 December)
We know LR are about 14% of total orders. So failing to have total order numbers, lets just use 14% of 4000. Which is 560. Let's be generous and say 600.

Total 4600

What this highlights isn't accuracy. It highlights there is no way they have produced 1000s of cars or assigned 1000s of VINS. Tens, yes.

Last edited:
What I think is that there would be a dedicated ship that leaves Shanghai in July and will carry 3000-4000 Model 3s for Australia and New Zealand (not sharing ships with Ys). If Tesla wants they could easily produce these 3000-4000 RHD Model 3s within a week of time.
Don't need a dedicated ship, the Viking Passama docks at Shanghai a day or two after they shut the model 3 line down and restart the model Y line. There will be whatever portion of 2 weeks model 3 production is tagged for AU waiting. Then the Morning Crystal docks 5 days after the Passama. Plenty of shipping capacity by the look of it.

Don't need a dedicated ship, the Viking Passama docks at Shanghai a day or two after they shut the model 3 line down and restart the model Y line. There will be whatever portion of 2 weeks model 3 production is tagged for AU waiting. Then the Morning Crystal docks 5 days after the Passama. Plenty of shipping capacity by the look of it.
Just not close to enough cars for the ships at this rate!

I seriously can’t come up with any theory for what’s going on here. Nothing makes sense at all to me. It’s quite torturous the way this is all unfolding.
Shanghai has gone rogue and patriotism is dictating export vs domestic production? The head of Tesla China did say she was pushing for a bigger allocation of production volume.

Their days of blaming lockdowns and parts shortages are at an end. Their production numbers counter that argument.

Last edited:
Shanghai has gone rogue and patriotism is dictating export vs domestic production? The head of Tesla China did say she was pushing for a bigger allocation of production volume.

Their days of blaming lockdowns and parts shortages are at an end. Their production numbers counter that argument.
OR. That ollllld chasing profit in the EU at the expense of Australians chestnut. Maybe that. Maybe that.

Reactions: garylovesbeer
1000ish Model 3s a day. Soon to be 1200. Which is why only assigning 100 odd is strange. It's like 3 hours of production.

They also assigned some Y's. The "Whirlpool" forum form has 80+ Y's with confirmed VIN's which is potentially also destined for the Clara. Not everybody will fill in the forms or be active members either hear or at Whirlpool

The entire ship wouldn't be dedicated to just Tesla either, no point assigning 800 cars when you only have so many slots on the ship

They also assigned some Y's. The "Whirlpool" forum form has 80+ Y's with confirmed VIN's which is potentially also destined for the Clara. Not everybody will fill in the forms or be active members either hear or at Whirlpool

The entire ship wouldn't be dedicated to just Tesla either, no point assigning 800 cars when you only have so many slots on the ship
Yeah which frankly infuriates me. Same with the EU profit line. All this boils down to is Tesla being ****ed again. And again. And again.

It's a 'reason', yes. It is NOT a justification. This is the same argument i got in earlier incidentallt. We all know why it's happening. The why is what is justifiably infuriating us. It's this weird cyclical argument where your opponent continually presses the reason but refuses to admit it's a bad way to treat customers. Boggles my mind.

Last edited: