Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything we’ve heard from Tesla suggests there are far more VIN allocations and deliveries to come this quarter. This has come from multiple sources. So at this stage I believe it to be the case. The question is when will all this happen? From our end there doesn’t seem to be any logical plan to make it happen, but no doubt there is something we are not privy to going on. Not having any idea how it will play out at the moment is pretty torturous.

Yes, because it was Tesla who decided to lockdown :rolleyes:

With still 9 days before the first ship leaves
Why would it be in the 1000's? A ship can only carry so much.
So the people who had orders which should have received cars in Q1 (ordered in Nov and Dec), they should blame the lockdown in the middle of Q2 not Tesla? The lockdown is also to blame for the lack of communication for Tesla?

I am flipping between optimism and skepticism. I dunno. I just would have expected more vins. And when EDDs firmed up today, it seems like the process moved onto the next stage. The full stop of the vin assignment, if you will.
I don't think this is the case. Order with hidden vins will move to the next stage automatically therefore doesn't mean allocation has finished.

Reactions: Ormaus
I'm not sure I understand why people are getting so twisted over the Model Y's. They are completely seperate production lines aren't they? may as well be a seperate factory. I'd expect they have little effect on M3 production and allocation other than possibly taking some pressure OFF by giving people another choice. It seems to me that the LFP battery supply is plentiful and so cars with those are coming on strong while the Ternary battery vehicles are all backlogged....

So the people who had orders which should have received cars in Q1 (ordered in Nov and Dec), they should blame the lockdown in the middle of Q2 not Tesla? The lockdown is also to blame for the lack of communication for Tesla?
Yes "because Mitsubishi™"

(despite other manufacturers being in a completely different set of circumstances, Tesla being well known for not being affected by those circumstances because they make their own chips and this evidenced by the numerous headlines generated by that phenomena, and Tesla's evidenced production volume plus delivery numbers to other areas completely negating this argument).

I'm not sure I understand why people are getting so twisted over the Model Y's. They are completely seperate production lines aren't they? may as well be a seperate factory. I'd expect they have little effect on M3 production and allocation other than possibly taking some pressure OFF by giving people another choice. It seems to me that the LFP battery supply is plentiful and so cars with those are coming on strong while the Ternary battery vehicles are all backlogged....
Because Model Y and Model 3 share about 70% of the parts, more Y === less 3 and vice versa. Australian 3 and Ys are all manufactured in the same Giga Factory in Shanghai. From my point of view, Model Y production has been prioritised over the 3s despite of the long-awaited RWD Model 3s. With regards to Long Range and Performance, it looks like there's a supply bottleneck with non-LFP batteries therefore we also would not see Model Y Performance delivered in the Q3/Q4.

Except there is no evidence to support that. Different production lines, so Ys aren't holding up 3 production, looks like ample shipping availability, no reason to believe that there would be more model 3s shipped this quarter if no Ys were shipped.
No concrete evidence but they do share 70% of the parts, plus Elon Musk blamed the supply chain (not the labour or production in Shanghai Gigafctory) therefore all I could assume from my educated experience is that more Ys equals less 3s (In the LFP world).

Because Model 3s are extremely late and we think (and so should Y orderers) that the longest waiting customer should be served first (on average of course - 1 or 2 isn't an issue, but when it becomes en masse, it becomes an issue). It's not irrational.

Would you be cool in line at Woolies if thousands of people were allowed in front of you simply because they purchased a specific variant of milk? I would wager absolutely not.

Tesla should have cleared what they started with Model 3s before they released Model Y with a 2 month EDD. There is a fear Model Y will be prioritised over Model 3s and eat into shipping capacity and Australian staff's capacity to physically perform deliveries.

In essence, Tesla were already struggling badly to live up to targets and they went and chucked 10s of thousands of extra orders into an already underperforming mix. Which is, for lack of a better term, dumb.

I wouldn't be worried too much. They would have started closing down the production line yesterday for the full closure today till the 5/07, then resume production from the 6th.

So there is still a chance they will complete our batch when the line reopens.

Even with the Ys and 3s already allocated. I don't think that would have been enough to fulfil the next shipment at capacity.

No concrete evidence but they do share 70% of the parts, plus Elon Musk blamed the supply chain (not the labour or production in Shanghai Gigafctory) therefore all I could assume from my educated experience is that more Ys equals less 3s (In the LFP world).
Both lines are reported to have been running at full (current) production speed, and AFAIK that was the case when they opened model Y orders.

Reactions: MozMan
Because Model 3s are extremely late and we think (and so should Y orderers) that the longest waiting customer should be served first (on average of course - 1 or 2 isn't an issue, but when it becomes en masse, it becomes an issue). It's not irrational.

Would you be cool in line at Woolies if thousands of people were allowed in front of you simply because they purchased a specific variant of milk? I would wager absolutely not.

Tesla should have cleared what they started with Model 3s before they released Model Y with a 2 month EDD. There is a fear Model Y will be prioritised over Model 3s and eat into shipping capacity and Australian staff's capacity to physically perform deliveries.

In essence, Tesla were already struggling badly to live up to targets and they went and chucked 10s of thousands of extra orders into an already underperforming mix. Which is, for lack of a better term, dumb.
Agreed, what I talked about the parts sharing and supply chains issues + you concluded Australian staffing and shipping capacity.