Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have family waiting for a Rav4 Hybrid - they just got extended from 12 months wait to now 18 months wait.
Yep, think Tesla is bad? Look at Toyota..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655631134368.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655631134368.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 69
Long time listener (lurker), first time caller (typer?).

Took a MY RWD for a drive at the local sales centre for “research purposes”. Mainly to have a play with the car but also to see whether I wanted to switch the 3 order to a Y. I can confirm I do not. It’s a lovely machine but the 3 is still for me.

Anyway, of course I asked the SA what the go was with a Feb M3 order and amongst other things he said “you should be hearing from us very soon!!!”. Before anyone says I should, I’ve obviously taken that with many many grains of salt.

I do have a question for the brains trust here. Not sure anyone ‘knows’ the answer. Do we reckon Tesla builds cars (or previously did) on expected demand or do they build them to order? For example, do they say “okay, X colour is the most popular so we’ll make a bunch more of those” with minimal regard to exact configurations or how many are in the actual order queue? Then just keep the stock on hand until the RA’s gobble up the VINs…? Many thanks!

Also, stay strong champions! Driving the Y reminded me that this wait is still worth it!

According to Veda Prime on Twitter and other sources, the whole Giga Shanghai factory was shut today and for the next few days for upgrades. M3 production then opens for the 5-17 July period, so I don't think we will be getting anymore VINs until at least then. Hopefully some more RWDs are made during that period.

I'm close too as I ordered M3 RWD on 31/1. I test drove the MY but still want the M3 as we're replacing an ICE sedan. The MY has more room and the ride is firmer (not as bad as some reviews say it is) but it is stiff which makes for good handling but feels slower than the M3 RWD off the mark.

So I guess I'll buy more accessories in the meantime :D:D

Was originally 2.99% but that was almost 3 months ago and I’m on the verge of having to renew the application so I assume it’s going to go up to 3.99%
Try changing the finance amount. We found our financial situation change and we needed more money. plenti advised that asking for a change in the amount resets it to 3 months at the lower interest rate. Not sure how but thats what they told us.

Reactions: *Sparkles*
I do have a question for the brains trust here. Not sure anyone ‘knows’ the answer. Do we reckon Tesla builds cars (or previously did) on expected demand or do they build them to order? For example, do they say “okay, X colour is the most popular so we’ll make a bunch more of those” with minimal regard to exact configurations or how many are in the actual order queue? Then just keep the stock on hand until the RA’s gobble up the VINs…? Many thanks!
Well, I've heard said that they dont build to order.

But the VINs we had handed out perfectly matched the date ranges.

So either it just happened to match up to exactly what was ordered through those date ranges...
Or
They build to order...
Or
They have built heaps of random cars and have only matched a small number to orders so far....
Or
We have no idea and are just making up stuff :)

Presented without comment
Or context. Do i really need to go into why the use of the word 'vibe' differs in those comments, Jim?

One pertains to an 'aura' of sorts surrounding events. Used when something is remeniscent of another thing.

One specifically addresses a projected 'mood' (or vibe) of a person with no basis. Used as a very basic debating strategy to undermine credibility through inferrence of 'mood' rather than presenting a coherent counterpoint pertaining to the issue being discussed.

And this unprovoked attack on myself. That's ok and acceptable?

Hey all, here's a theory about what the *#*# is happening. No one else seems to have any idea. I have absolutely no evidence for any of this so you can discount and criticize all you like.

I think that Tesla is very aware of the effects that their M3 delivery issues have had in Au NZ and UK and that they monitor forums like this one.
Before last Tuesday there were a whole heap of predictions of doom from the July shutdowns, that there was no time for deliveries to Au in Q3, that the EU/UK were always prioritised over AU, and Hoopies were going all loopy everywhere.
So, while not changing their production schedule at all, they gave us a day or so of VINs to show us that both M3 and MY orders would be delivered in Q3, and gave them during the period the orders were being built. But this is not the usual way of Tesla. Issuing VINs during manufacture would be a risky process, what with testing failures and transport accidents, so they then revert back to the usual and safer way of issuing VINs, ie after the ship has left.

If this is the case, then expect no VINs until after Morning Clara has left Shanghai, say after 12 July. In Tesla's usual fashion, possibly thousands of VINs would then be gradually issued possibly over about a month for Viking Passama and Morning Crystal until after Paglia leaves Shanghai on 10 Aug

Due to the shutdown, M3s can now only be built between 5 and 17 July, so MClara would be mostly M3 and some MY, VP M3 only, and MCrystal MY only. The Au/NZ M3 numbers, say 6,000 will need 7 or 8 days production at 5,500/week, still leaving some time for other RHD markets.

I'm an optimist and will be looking for my M3 VIN in mid July.

and Hoopies were going all loopy everywhere.
Yes. It's me who is attacking people. (Wtf)

Probably an email would have done the trick rather than organise a 2 hour production run to surreptitiously hint they were producing for Australia? That's an extremely odd way to go about it. Who's loopy?

I think if Tesla is in here. They would be the ones vehemently defending Tesla's honour and trying to steer the conversation and make people act happy. If Tesla were in here. Which.. They couldn't even be bothered telling their frontline what's happening. Why would they bother?

Probably an email would have done the trick rather than organise a 2 hour production run to surreptitiously hint they were producing for Australia? That's an extremely odd way to go about it. Who's loopy?
No offence intended, and you have missed the point entirely. They have been on RHD since 28 June or before. They only had to organise a short Vin run, nothing else, and a few vins are much easier and more persuasive than a group email that Tesla has never sent - even for the Q2 cancellation.

No offence intended, and you have missed the point entirely. They have been on RHD since 28 June or before. They only had to organise a short Vin run, nothing else, and a few vins are much easier and more persuasive than a group email that Tesla has never sent - even for the Q2 cancellation.
Ah sure. None taken?

Ok i stand corrected. But i don't think they communicate through VINs, man.