Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to my sparky about getting a Tesla Wall Connector installed for $700, but unfortunately I'm limited to single phase and some new legislation limits it to 20 amps. Wondering how big a difference it is compared to the UMC.

Although, I have a destination charger 5 minutes down the road...

Spoke to my sparky about getting a Tesla Wall Connector installed for $700, but unfortunately I'm limited to single phase and some new legislation limits it to 20 amps. Wondering how big a difference it is compared to the UMC.

1659866659333.png

1659866684994.png

So I'd estimate that the wall connector at 20A would be 4.6 kW and charge you at about 30 km/h vs the mobile connector on a 10 Amp circuit at about 15 km/h

This is all from the tesla documentation however, I've heard 10-12 km for the mobile charger normally ?!

Links:

then we would see evidence of a singular queue with an absolute cut off rather than some combinations and locations with later order dates pushing ahead of other combinations.

Not really.
You still batch production to maximise efficiencies and time lost to line changes.
So could be weeks between a RWD and a P ordered on the same day.
And Tesla given its quarterly financial focus also prioritises places with the furthest delivery (as we've seen with WA).

Reactions: Missimpatient
Not really.
You still batch production to maximise efficiencies and time lost to line changes.
So could be weeks between a RWD and a P ordered on the same day.
And Tesla given its quarterly financial focus also prioritises places with the furthest delivery (as we've seen with WA).
Which would leave us essentially where we are now. With multiple queues and the last order date a VIN has been allocated for each queue making the end of the queues look like a sawtooth.

Furthermore if it is most efficient to create sets of say 8 bodies of a single external colour then this exaggerates the differences in the individual queues. And assuming the factory works off a variation of JIT manufacturing (with a smaller IMHO) warehouse nearby (thanks Wu Wa video) then any supply chain disruptions to parts/materials specific to a combination will change the build orders for that period of time. Eg if Blue paint had a 2 week delay then they would just build other colours for a while.

Thus they really dont take the next order off a singular queue and build that but would base it off the stats in the current queue for the region they are building it for.

Reactions: Missimpatient

A friend of mine has a RWD. He got 3-phase connected up.

L1 - UMC Plug/cable that comes with car into 10A standard socket = 11 km/hr

L2 - Single phase (via Tesla charger) = 42-3 km/hr

3-phase (via Tesla charger) = 77 km/hr

L3 - Version 2 Supercharger = 125 kw/hr
L3 - Version 3 Supercharger = 250 kw/hr

MAX charging (DC) on a RWD is 175kw so there is no point going over 250kw (I think), LR is (DC) 250k

Tesla Tom explains it here

• Informative
Reactions: Ormaus
Could Tesla be taking the whole lot off at Port Kembla, getting them assessed and clear customs etc, then put the VIC/SA/TAS/WA vehicles back on a ship to Melbourne?
Confirmed with Tesla that VIC cars will be coming off the dock here not being trucked from PK.
Viking Passama isn't on the Port Melbourne schedule yet but scheduled arrival from Armacup is 12/8, so should see it appear on PM arrivals in the next 24 hours or so (fingers crossed).

Confirmed with Tesla that VIC cars will be coming off the dock here not being trucked from PK.
Viking Passama isn't on the Port Melbourne schedule yet but scheduled arrival from Armacup is 12/8, so should see it appear on PM arrivals in the next 24 hours or so (fingers crossed).
Thanks for the info. Hard to guess what impact on timelines but I guess it doesn't really matter, they'll be ready when they're ready.

Isn’t the L1/L2/L3 terminology a US thing? The L1/L2 distinction refers to 120 or 220V AC charging and L3 is DC. So not relevant here where AC is always 230V, so we just talk AC or DC charging.
Not according to this site. It may have started that way, with Tesla being American.

From the article ….”however, it's worth noting that some EVs and will only charge at a maximum of 7.6kW AC even with a 22kW charger.” (not a Tesla in my experience)

It it is changing by the day. On the Atto 3 they talk about bi-directional charging. Is that significant, I have no idea.

Last edited:
The UMC is 11km/h and the single phase is 42km/hr. I have seen 43 or 44. Of course these values are less as it reaches maximum.
I tested my newly installed Wall Connector, which is on a single phase 32A circuit, this is what the car reported.
0EC03085-1B72-4901-937F-C7FC77FA3687.jpeg

As you can see, the battery was half full so it was probably running at the peak charge rate.

Maybe the 43 or 44km/h rate is average over a full charge, including the slowdown towards the end?

Thanks for the info. Hard to guess what impact on timelines but I guess it doesn't really matter, they'll be ready when they're ready.
Looks like things are running 1-2 days behind the Armacup schedule.
So if we assume 13-14th dock/unload, up to 7 days port processing and 3-5 days transport, quality and detailing, we're looking at W/C 22/08-W/C 29/08 for delivery spots.
I imagine we'll start getting opportunities to book appointments next week.
/wild speculation