Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which one is first, a text message saying this is your VIN/vehicle OR VIN in source code ?
I saw EDD updated (e.g. 28/02 - 12/03) first in both the app & web page, and found VIN in the source code, then received the following SMS from Tesla a few hours later:

"Tesla Update: A vehicle has been assigned to your order. Visit your Tesla Account to view your delivery estimate and complete any outstanding tasks: ts.la/account

Closer to the delivery estimate visible in your Tesla Account, you will receive an SMS to schedule your Express Delivery appointment."

Reactions: suree_4ever
I think 208kw is peak power and 194kw (as stated on Tesla manual) is nominal power?? Electric motor power rating is different from ICE motors; apples and oranges, and can be quite confusing, probably the reason Tesla quotes 0-100 as a measure of performance rather than kw/nm?
I don't have the specs for the 3D7, but the 3D5 is listed in the European Certificate of Conformity as:

Maximum Net Power 208kW
Maximum 30 min power 88kW
Maximum hourly output 44kW

Unknown amount of time on the 'Maximum Net Power' it is peak maybe 1 minute? ICE cars are also rated for peak (at the flywheel) in a quick test not able to maintain that output over a long period or the engine would cook... while vastly different heat is still the enemy across both motor types.

I’m planning to transfer my current plates to my M3LR when it arrives
there’s a process for this with Service NSW
it was easy with my current car
Tesla have not been helpful
they’re saying I’ll have to accept the car with plates and swap them at the registry
so I’m paying for plates I won’t be using
“Tesla have not been helpful”
🤣😂

That’s an understatement at the best of times!

I saw EDD updated (e.g. 28/02 - 12/03) first in both the app & web page, and found VIN in the source code, then received the following SMS from Tesla a few hours later:

"Tesla Update: A vehicle has been assigned to your order. Visit your Tesla Account to view your delivery estimate and complete any outstanding tasks: ts.la/account

Closer to the delivery estimate visible in your Tesla Account, you will receive an SMS to schedule your Express Delivery appointment."
That’s good to know, thanks for the details

I got the same story. Blamed it on SNSW which utter is nonsense. While I'm excited about the car, the service so far is rubbish imho. They also refused to swap my LR wheels for another members SR Aeros unless we EACH pay $110.

The only reason I had to arrange this was that they don't offer the 18s in Aus, we both spent 140k collectively, yet they can't swap over the wheels for two new customers of the brand, pretty poor form.

I got the same story. Blamed it on SNSW which utter is nonsense. While I'm excited about the car, the service so far is rubbish imho. They also refused to swap my LR wheels for another members SR Aeros unless we EACH pay $110.

The only reason I had to arrange this was that they don't offer the 18s in Aus, we both spent 140k collectively, yet they can't swap over the wheels for two new customers of the brand, pretty poor form.
Tesla: great cars, rubbish pre sales service. Might as well be ordering a phone.

It sucks, but the car makes up for it :)

Reactions: Kevsaccount
Am I weird for looking forward to taking drive-through Covid PCR tests when I get my Model 3, and not having to sit “on idle”, or be told by the staff to “turn off your engine please” while I blast their lungs with fossil fuel emissions? I am? Oh well😁
Haha I
Yeah, some tests got less than 5.6 sec, maybe it was cutting close to the LR territory so a reasonable step from Tesla to change the motor. Compensate with more range and efficiency which probably has more real life use for RWD buyers. Range rather for speed. Reviews I have seen mostly report difference in standing acceleration but much the same or very little difference in rolling from 40km/hr+ (2021 SR+ vs 2022 RWD). 0.5 sec not a deal breaker to be honest, makes little difference in city traffic, just my bad habit to dig details and boredom.
When I test drove the SR in December, I thought it was fast enough and I didn't need the LR. Now I realised the demo car may have been a 5.6s older model. Hopefully the 6.1s one doesn't feel too far off.

Tesla: great cars, rubbish pre sales service. Might as well be ordering a phone.

When you see how many deliveries they do on a day you'll understand why.

Tesla in Alexandria pick up the plates go down to batany and come back and get Tesla to fit them.
Worth chatting to your SA about this.
Maybe suggest the day before or something so they haven't fitted the plates.

I’m planning to transfer my current plates to my M3LR when it arrives
there’s a process for this with Service NSW
it was easy with my current car
Tesla have not been helpful
they’re saying I’ll have to accept the car with plates and swap them at the registry
so I’m paying for plates I won’t be using
If you have custom plates on a vehicle already registered to you , and the new car is going to be registered under the same name , plate swap between 2 vehicles can be done online via ServiceNSW. No need to visit RMS

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
If you have custom plates on a vehicle already registered to you , and the new car is going to be registered under the same name , plate swap between 2 vehicles can be done online via ServiceNSW. No need to visit RMS
thanks - I had based my understanding on my previous experience
I'm not trading in with Telsa, otherwise it would be simpler - they just declined my request to put my current plates on the new car
there is still the issue of how physical plates get moved around
I was also planning to get rid of current car beforehand, in which case it will need new plates - I suppose it may be possible to change that if the lease company agrees

Last edited:
“Tesla have not been helpful”
🤣😂
That’s an understatement at the best of times!
they're not very hands-on
hard to see that as a winning strategy long-term
Maybe I can go to Tesla in Alexandria pick up the plates go down to batany and come back and get Tesla to fit them. Not really that far.
you'd think that was straightforward and it's what I was planning, but they turned me down

Reactions: Kevsaccount
When you see how many deliveries they do on a day you'll understand why.
Fair point.
Haha I

When I test drove the SR in December, I thought it was fast enough and I didn't need the LR. Now I realised the demo car may have been a 5.6s older model. Hopefully the 6.1s one doesn't feel too far off.
You won't notice the difference. The feeling you get isn't the 0-100 in 5.6s, it is the instant torque. That won't be noticeable. It is still a very fast car and I doubt you will be flooring it at every set of lights anyway during the ownership of your Model 3.

they're not very hands-on
hard to see that as a winning strategy long-term

you'd think that was straightforward and it's what I was planning, but they turned me down
Agreed re not being a winning strategy.

Tesla have effectively had the market to themselves for years - albeit they created a new segment that made EVs viable for the masses. That seems to have bred a degree of arrogance/indifference in how they treat people spending a not insignificant sum on a car.

They have hordes of fans with almost cult like zeal, but that may not be enough to maintain position as the mainstream manufacturers move into EVs.

Definitely a shame, I've personally had a gutful of stealerships and after sales support from my time with a VW, was really hoping for a nice change with Tesla. I'll hold hope that they improve as the world adapts to EV, but for now, their support has been pretty *sugar*.

Agreed re not being a winning strategy.

Tesla have effectively had the market to themselves for years - albeit they created a new segment that made EVs viable for the masses. That seems to have bred a degree of arrogance/indifference in how they treat people spending a not insignificant sum on a car.

They have hordes of fans with almost cult like zeal, but that may not be enough to maintain position as the mainstream manufacturers move into EVs.

On the contrary however there is also the chance that the other manufacturers will adopt a Tesla like system with EVs.
Take Hyundai as an example. They use an online sales system for the Ioniq5. This of course is essentially the same as Tesla.
They don’t even have test drive vehicles at their “Blue” dealerships.

Also walking into the Tesla centre to look at and drive a car doesn’t feel like a dealership at all.
I for one also like the no haggle pricing structure and this is something I believe the entire industry will do within the next 10 years.