Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6-9 months if you were ordering today according to the custom order page for Aus.

I have no solid idea of what my ETA is because, unless I missed it, I have not seen reports of VINs being issued yet for P or LR versions apart from a couple of cancellation re allocations in Jan-Feb even for Nov 21 orders.

A little disappointed about the lack of a committed production plan estimate update from Tesla. Telling customers to wait for an SMS for months away is not good while the orig est del date flies by. More honest info would be appreciated.
IDK if I understood this correctly. VINs are issued for Nov orders for LR and P. The Feb 8-10 build dates included very few LRs/Ps. It is very disappointing. But from what I noticed, VINs were issued for order dates till Nov 25 give or take.

A little disappointed about the lack of a committed production plan estimate update from Tesla. Telling customers to wait for an SMS for months away is not good while the orig est del date flies by. More honest info would be appreciated.
Agreed. I like that I didn’t need to go through the dealership / sales bs like traditional car manufacturers, but on the flip side, asking my Tesla SA for any more info about the delay resulted in crickets.

It’s disappointing the only message anyone at Tesla is allowed to say in relation to delays is to repeat what is published on the custom order page.

I’m committed to a $65k purchase, it will be the third highest value transaction I’ll have performed in my lifetime so far. And you can’t even tell me a reason for the delay? Or tell me anything more specific to provide confidence of when I’ll receive my order?

And yeah, I get it, Tesla is a growing company and things worldwide are weird at the moment. But to simply not reply because, presumably, the company has a policy to say nothing more about the lead time than what is published is really bad form imo.

• Love
Reactions: De4thsCh1ld
Agreed. I like that I didn’t need to go through the dealership / sales bs like traditional car manufacturers, but on the flip side, asking my Tesla SA for any more info about the delay resulted in crickets.

It’s disappointing the only message anyone at Tesla is allowed to say in relation to delays is to repeat what is published on the custom order page.

I’m committed to a $65k purchase, it will be the third highest value transaction I’ll have performed in my lifetime so far. And you can’t even tell me a reason for the delay? Or tell me anything more specific to provide confidence of when I’ll receive my order?

And yeah, I get it, Tesla is a growing company and things worldwide are weird at the moment. But to simply not reply because, presumably, the company has a policy to say nothing more about the lead time than what is published is really bad form imo.
Hi, never before bought a car that wasn't available immediately from a dealer.

What information do traditional car manufacturers/retailers provide about a car that must be ordered and delivered at a later date? Does the manufacturer provide shipping details etc?

What information do traditional car manufacturers/retailers provide about a car that must be ordered and delivered at a later date? Does the manufacturer provide shipping details etc?
My last experience buying a Mazda 3 SP23 in 2005 had a date for delivery specified in writing. If Mazda were dealing with delays of the magnitude Tesla have now, I’d at least be able to call the sales team up and for them to give me some indication as to when they think the car would come.

Instead with Tesla, I find myself joining forums like this one, where all the information is unofficial and a lot of it speculation (albeit, well informed)

Reactions: garylovesbeer
My last experience buying a Mazda 3 SP23 in 2005 had a date for delivery specified in writing. If Mazda were dealing with delays of the magnitude Tesla have now, I’d at least be able to call the sales team up and for them to give me some indication as to when they think the car would come.

Instead with Tesla, I find myself joining forums like this one, where all the information is unofficial and a lot of it speculation (albeit, well informed)
You should contact your SA for more info. It is hit and miss as some are really good and others are lacking. It's not an excuse for poor service.

Reactions: Benzz

I ordered a RAV 4 Hybrid about 20 months ago and had to wait 8months. The original estimate was 5 months. I got monthly emails either telling me no change or it had slipped. About 2 weeks from final delivery I was told it is on a ship close to Australia and then quite details comms until collection. It really was not much better than Tesla but there was not as much hype!

My own last purchase before this with mercades there was massive delays and wait. Salespeople really new nothing but kept giving me estimates till they got a vin. Then I tracked myself as I could back then. I always did the follow up.

My most recent purchase for my wife was a Toyota dealer in 2020. RAV4 hybrid. Nothing but delays and lies till we had enough and escalated up the chain till we finally got some answers.

This time round ordering Tesla, rep didn’t really know too much, but never lied. Once I got my hands on my Vin went with Veda Prime service and couldn’t have been happier. The community is way more active on Tesla for some reason but really you will get nothing till you VIn is allocated.

Delays in manufacturing are across the board at the moment. If it's got a computer in it - there's almost certainly a delay.
I work for a Medical Device company and we have major delays on our capital equipment. Pretty much anyone buying any high value item wants it now and doesn't want to wait; but there is nothing that can be done. We want to supply our customers as fast as possible - just as I assume Telsa does too.

Unfortunately there is a huge delay and the only real info that can be provided before you have a VIN is what's on the order screen. Your SA won't have some guy in the factory who he can talk to about when the cars will come - it'll still be...the lead time on the website.

I'm actually impressed that Tesla has a lead time that updates on their website. Most car manufacturers don't have that and it would be highly unlikely that they would bother updating it. I've seen it move twice since I ordered making me think it's perfectly integrated into their CRM system. Best in class service, in my opinion, for the New Car Industry.

And yes. - I too am impatient and want my car now.

Your experience is fairly common, unfortunately. That‘s not to excuse it, but Tesla’s customer communications is not its strong point. I think in most cases the reps are swamped, so queries are missed, or ignored simply because they don’t know the answer either.

My delivery in 2019 was fairly seamless but I was also very Zen about it - Tesla will contact me when they need to contact me, and getting anxious inbetween contacts does nothing to advance the delivery date. Curiosity about what is going on is natural but it doesn’t change anything.

If it’s any consolation, I chatted to a guy charging his brand new Ioniq 5 at a DCFC late last year, and he said the comms from Hyundai about what was happening were terrible and the entire delivery process completely shambolic because the orders go through HQ but local franchised dealers deliver the cars.

So - it could be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: garylovesbeer
Cars are not made to orders but based on estimations. If other RHD markets (eg. UK) have a longer wait time, new cars will be prioritised to them, the longer the wait time, the high the risk of cancellations from customers. For example, if there is a longer backlog of LRs in UK, more new LRs will be sent to UK rather than Aus/NZ, it's just my thought/guess.