Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while ago the MInister for War and Finance mentioned that we should look at EV/Hybrid for our next car for green reasons more than anything, With fuel over $2 litre - that clinched me. While EVs don;t use fossil fuel, I wonder about the environmental side of battery raw material extraction and manufacture etc. I had reservations about hybrid - more things that can go wrong for example - which brings us to pure EV. And with our price limit - left us with the chepaer ones (Kia Niro, MG etc) through to Tesla being at the maximum point.

The Ministers' number 1 concern was range, beating her like for sitting high off the road (currently have Kia Sorento which other than parking love to drive). Going by quoted figures, the LR is just about at the top of the pile. I would have been happy with EV 6 or Ioniq 5, local dealers said 2024 or 2025, which was a bit too long. Polestar - can't test drive in Canberra (yet). Leaving the Tesla - took it for a spin, we both liked it and ordered the same day. Not riding high like in an SUV, not a problem. I do worry about riding a tad too close to the road re scraping.

Least favorite thing (currently in mind) - not having customised shortcuts on the display screen. Being able to, say, out the wipers on by one touch if (it can't be on the stalks) I think would be quicker and less distracting than the several touches it seems to take. And having to use the screen to open the glove box - Really?
I haven't got my car yet so I can't comment on how well it works, but I have read that there are voice commands to turn the wipers off and on and increase/decrease the speed. I have seen variable feedback on the voice commands in general, some saying it isn't 100% and others saying it is fine. Anyone with a car have a comment on the effectiveness?

...I wonder about the environmental side of battery raw material extraction and manufacture etc ...
Don't suggest you watch this vid - it is only an indication of the use of lithium that is use once and discarded not even into a landfill but onto the streets with no hope of ever being recycled. EVs are a consumer of lithium but hopefully the majority of it WILL be recycled unlike the obscene single use that so many cells are used for. My niece bought a RAT test that had a lovely black light in it - single use lithium battery. Just plain dumb.

Least favorite thing (currently in mind) - not having customised shortcuts on the display screen. Being able to, say, out the wipers on by one touch if (it can't be on the stalks) I think would be quicker and less distracting than the several touches it seems to take. And having to use the screen to open the glove box - Really?
Actually, one of the things I really liked was voice control for a lot of these things...it means you dont have to look at the screen or reach for a switch or anything. Just press the button on the steering wheel and tell the car what to do. Worked great for me.

I think the installation on superchargers will be quite quick as more and more turn to EV’s. Beside you mostly will charge at home. The QLD gov are putting in chargers in western QLD from what I heard.
QESH plan to add 24 fast chargers in phase 3: https://www.qld.gov.au/__data/asset...ectric-Super-Highway-Map-phases-1,2-and-3.pdf.
Mostly on major routes, however my regular route from Rocky to Goondiwindi may miss out, except for Miles. I COULD make this in my LR, but may need to change my regular route

Reactions: New Tech Bj
And Tesla Wall Charger (3 Phase 😁) is now installed and ready....

<General> WTB Tesla M3, have charger and accessories. Ready to go now.
Yep, mine is in waiting for car to arrive

Attachments

• 49A7236F-76D8-41C0-ACCE-0CA1AC6B304E.jpeg
    49A7236F-76D8-41C0-ACCE-0CA1AC6B304E.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 82
Went to local shops (Mountain Creek Sunshine Coast) to pick up kids from the bus stop and saw 2 Tesla model 3's (one red, one white) and 1 Tesla model Y in the rather small carpark.

Didnt think Model Y's where available in Australia?
VedaPrime also tweeting this not long ago..Looks like some Y’s have come in for showrooms aswell? Surely will mean Y orders will open soon.

Question: Would anyone that is waiting the 12 months wait time switch their orders from M3 to MY if they became available in roughly the same timeframe?
5FFD7E4B-37C6-4B66-927B-A4F08A841F92.png

VedaPrime also tweeting this not long ago..Looks like some Y’s have come in for showrooms aswell? Surely will mean Y orders will open soon.

Question: Would anyone that is waiting the 12 months wait time switch their orders from M3 to MY if they became available in roughly the same timeframe?
Will look closely at that option. Gave up waiting for the Y and ordered the M3, but have not bought any accessories for it. It will probably come down to the towbar option and delivery time frame. I will need a towbar in either case.

Reactions: trippa
And Tesla Wall Charger (3 Phase 😁) is now installed and ready....

<General> WTB Tesla M3, have charger and accessories. Ready to go now.
Installed my Wall Charger in December. It's hung on the outside of the house facing the driveway and street. The neighbours find my excitement and misplaced optimism very amusing as they regard the charger's idle lights at night. Disappointed geek feels.