Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen video [unfortunately can't locate again] that shows VIN being attached to vehicle when fully assembled dash is installed. Maybe the VIN structure has already been predefined as Hoopyfrood described. But i think VIN allocation comes later. We know that they don't build to order, so maybe after vehicle leaves plant, maybe on board ship? I also think that the QC process [including road test etc] is done before allocation, else we could see VIN allocations revoked due to faults being [rarely] detected.

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
I've seen video [unfortunately can't locate again] that shows VIN being attached to vehicle when fully assembled dash is installed. Maybe the VIN structure has already been predefined as Hoopyfrood described. But i think VIN allocation comes later. We know that they don't build to order, so maybe after vehicle leaves plant, maybe on board ship? I also think that the QC process [including road test etc] is done before allocation, else we could see VIN allocations revoked due to faults being [rarely] detected.
Yep! I think 'built to order' vs 'batch' is a false dichotomy. Parts of the process are batched, parts of the process are to spec, parts of the process are to order. It's really several factories.

Reactions: PcS000 and rtvanda
I have an update! I was just assigned with a VIN! It is now asking me to pay the remaining payments.

M3 RWD White/Black/Sports Wheel
OD: 23/1/22
VIN: 9/7/22
Congratulations, but also damn you 😂
Ordered 22/01/22 RWD White/Black 18's and I've got squat.. I hope they did a decent batch for Australia and now it's just a matter of assigning them (Evidently not in order of purchase lol)

I have an update! I was just assigned with a VIN! It is now asking me to pay the remaining payments.

M3 RWD White/Black/Sports Wheel
OD: 23/1/22
VIN: 9/7/22
Congrats!

Please update your listing in the Teslike spreadsheet, to give us all some hope for progress:

1657349170952.png

Congratulations, but also damn you 😂
Ordered 22/01/22 RWD White/Black 18's and I've got squat.. I hope they did a decent batch for Australia and now it's just a matter of assigning them (Evidently not in order of purchase lol)
Where are you getting your car delivered? If it's Sydney, then you're the second example of the "queue" not being what most of us would expect it to mean.