Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s peoples thoughts on novated lease with this potential FBT exemption vs just paying cash
I really depends on your circumstances. From my perspective, if I can keep my cash in the bank that I have already paid marginal tax rates on (and go on to earn some interest on it or offset homeloan, etc) and pay for the Tesla using all pre-tax cash then it is clearly to my financial advantage to do that. I will pay the lease residual out at the end of three years using cash and own the car for less cost that buying it outright up front. You should get financial advice if you aren't sure as there are many factors to consider when it comes your your own situation.

I am incorporated. Did I get the novated lease thing right?
  1. Company buys car, gets GST refund
  2. Company leases it to me and FBT is exempt under new scheme for at least 3 years
  3. After 3 years I pay the residual and then I own the car
So not only would I not pay income tax, but the car would also cost 10% less because the GST refund? Sounds too good to be true.

Reactions: BareFeetTom
Whoever is cheapest lol

When I looked last that will be Budget, a few other companies appear to use the same quoting such as ING and have similar prices
I would strongly recommend avoiding Budget Direct. I deal with them a lot for work and they are one of the worst insurers for not paying claims and then trying to recover every cent from liable third parties with no sense of commerciality.

What’s peoples thoughts on novated lease with this potential FBT exemption vs just paying cash
Depends on your circumstances and what the quote is.
I am incorporated.
Then no need to do a novated lease. Your company buys the car, takes the GST credits, claims the car limit for depreciation, you use it essentially to your hearts content and never have an FBT liability. You aren't then stuck with minimum residuals through the lease and once the FBT scheme ends you can simply offload it to yourself for the carrying value on your books.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Budget Direct. I deal with them a lot for work and they are one of the worst insurers for not paying claims and then trying to recover every cent from liable third parties with no sense of commerciality.
I've had no issues with them with my past claim. It's either Budget at $1,000 or GIO/Allianz or something else at like $2000

The difference for me between some insurers is just stupid.

Budget / ING / Virgin Money
All seem to cost around the same, assume they are all owned or using the same policy stuff etc etc

While on the whole novated lease, FBT thing. When I was talking to my SA yesterday about VIN assignments, I briefly brought up this subject. He mentioned in passing that going that way, we wouldn’t be eligible for the NSW EV rebates. Anybody know if that’s true and if so why that might be? $5500 up front is puts quite a sizeable hole in the benefits if true.