Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on the whole novated lease, FBT thing. When I was talking to my SA yesterday about VIN assignments, I briefly brought up this subject. He mentioned in passing that going that way, we wouldn’t be eligible for the NSW EV rebates. Anybody know if that’s true and if so why that might be? $5500 up front is puts quite a sizeable hole in the benefits if true.
Correct - Rebates for electric vehicle purchases

Is a rebate available to cover costs under a novated leasing agreement?
The rebate cannot be used for vehicles procured under a novated leasing agreement.

Though it appears you still should be able to get stamp duty refunded.

While on the whole novated lease, FBT thing. When I was talking to my SA yesterday about VIN assignments, I briefly brought up this subject. He mentioned in passing that going that way, we wouldn’t be eligible for the NSW EV rebates. Anybody know if that’s true and if so why that might be? $5500 up front is puts quite a sizeable hole in the benefits if true.
Page 4 - That sucks!
Is a rebate available to cover costs under a novated leasing arrangement?
The rebate cannot be used for vehicles procured under a novated leasing arrangement.

Can you get the Stamp duty back?
It doesn't seem to mention it here? I only gave it a quick look though

Reactions: pssturges
The rebates are for individuals, however companies that fit certain criteria are entitled to 2 rebates total. So there's a chance that your company won't receive a rebate for your car, or if they do it may not be passed on. EDIT: refer to above post looks like no rebate for novated leases.

On the flip side you don't pay GST on the vehicle so the effect is negated and we haven't even looked at the benefit of utilising pre-tax income.

I did a basic calculation for my own individual circumstances and I still come out on top by approx 6k if I took out a novated lease for 1 year and paid out the residual. This is because for a 60k vehicle you are normally required to pay 20% as an FBT contribution (12k p.a.). Removing this cost creates a lot of room to benefit significantly.

• Informative
Reactions: pssturges
More novated lease questions 😬.

My employer uses Maxxia for salary packaging. They of course use their own in-house finance by default which has a crazy interest rate. They also have an option to do self managed and arrange all your own stuff including finance. Can I just use pepper, Macquarie etc like many people here are doing and arrange one of their EV loans to get a lower interest rate? Is there anything special about the loan I need?

Is the vehicle going to be registered in my name or the employer? If it’s the employer does that complicate things with my current order being in my name?

Really trying to get my head around all this so I can get the maximum benefit.

Hi there, first time poster…
Ordered March 23. Back then, I considered doing a novated lease but after comparing the number, I found it quite expensive compare to financing at was then 2.99%. I was under the impression that novated lease is worth it when bundling gas and other maintenance and saving tax on these expenses. That’s not really relevant for a Tesla (no gas, limited need for services) but I see a few of you mention the FBT new legislation. Is there an accountant able to do a cost breakdown with the future law to help me (us?) understand the benefit of it compare to finance?
I suggest starting a new thread in the Australia forum for questions like this. The "Waiting Room" gets so many posts that your question isn't likely to be seen by everyone who could have useful input.

Reactions: Ib38
It would be because with a Novated lease you don't technical own the car, it is leased from your employer. The rebate is for NSW residents purchasing an EV. It could still be beneficial even without the rebate overall to use a novated lease if you were going to finance over 3 or more years but you would need to do the numbers.

More novated lease questions 😬.

My employer uses Maxxia for salary packaging. They of course use their own in-house finance by default which has a crazy interest rate. They also have an option to do self managed and arrange all your own stuff including finance. Can I just use pepper, Macquarie etc like many people here are doing and arrange one of their EV loans to get a lower interest rate? Is there anything special about the loan I need?

Is the vehicle going to be registered in my name or the employer? If it’s the employer does that complicate things with my current order being in my name?

Really trying to get my head around all this so I can get the maximum benefit.
Best to speak with your packaging provider directly. I have had many novated leases over the years and never had a problem bringing an existing lease with me to a new packaging company but not sure how keen they'd be on giving you a choice of finance to commence but obviously they can take on any lease. Worth pushing perhaps if you can get a much better interest rate (they might let you use another finance company or drop their rate). I don't think there would be a massive impact of a slightly higher rate on the finance for a lease when weighed against the benefits of pre-tax packaging unless you are really chasing every dollar.

Let's take novated lease discussions related to the new EV FBT exemption over to here so we don't annoy others that want this threat to be about waiting for their cars??