Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! Needed some advice.

So I purchased a blue Tesla 16/2 and still haven't gotten a VIN and my finance expires end of Oct. I'm somewhat optimistic of getting a VIN by end of Sept and HOPEFULLY delivery before my finance expires. However, I just found out there's a used car being sold at 5.99% interest rate for finance that comes with enhanced auto pilot and heated front and rear seats (I think this is not available on my current order unless I purchase?)

The colour is different, but I was choosing between grey and blue anyways so I don't really care much about that. My worry is, is it worth to buy a used Tesla (less than 5,000km odometer) or should I just wait for my actual car? Is it also wrong to buy a used car? I've read a lot of heat going towards people that have sold/selling/purchased a used one.

My only issue is I need another car, but could realistically maybe wait it out till Oct/Nov, and there is always the possibility I will have to refinance when I get my actual car which I don't know when I will get.

Should I just wait or go for it?
Your new car should be close enough to wait for it. The extras can be bought on the new car same as they were on the second hand one, however as pointed out before, you will most likely not save much money on going with second hand one and you can purchase same extras on the new one. If you get a great deal on the second had one and actually save reasonable amount, then go for it. 5000km is nothing and all Model 3-s in AU should still be under Tesla warranty.
People don't frown upon purchasing the second hand car. They frown upon purchasing a new car just to flip it to make money. If you don't do that and just cancel your order when you purchase a used car, meaning someone will get your cancelled car, then everyone will be happy and no frowning involved.

that comes with enhanced auto pilot and heated front and rear seats (I think this is not available on my current order unless I purchase?)
Your car comes with heated front and rear seats, it's standard now and has been for a while. The EAP costs $5000 if you want to add it.

It's unlikely you'll get a VIN in September - the last month of the quarter has historically been domestic production. Early October is more likely.

• Love
Reactions: ArcSinM3
Your new car should be close enough to wait for it. The extras can be bought on the new car same as they were on the second hand one, however as pointed out before, you will most likely not save much money on going with second hand one and you can purchase same extras on the new one. If you get a great deal on the second had one and actually save reasonable amount, then go for it. 5000km is nothing and all Model 3-s in AU should still be under Tesla warranty.
People don't frown upon purchasing the second hand car. They frown upon purchasing a new car just to flip it to make money. If you don't do that and just cancel your order when you purchase a used car, meaning someone will get your cancelled car, then everyone will be happy and no frowning involved.
There's no way we should be frowning on people taking the car and choosing to sell it. It is at their risk and they may make a loss or gain, but if they cancel they definitely make a loss of $350. If they want to take the risk and go through all the effort and stress of trying to sell a car to try and make some cash, all power to them. If enough people try to do it, there won't be any profit to make anyway, and I would assume a good chunk of our back log will be cleared with the next large shipment, so it isn't really moving the dial for most of our waiting times. Support the free market and let's ditch the moral high ground.

I’m sure I’m on the home stretch, but the wait is agonising. I had an initial delivery window of Sep 25 - 29, which became Sep 3 - 16, which then became Aug 25 - Sep 6. Annoyingly, every morning I checked the app the delivery window (start date) was getting pushed by a day to reflect current date!!!!

Now it’s been updated to Sep 2 - 16. Spoke to the SA and he said it’s a logistics thing and a lot of deliveries have been pushed by a week. Grrrrrr 😡😡😡. Anyway, I hope to have my car in a couple of weeks.
Finally, light at the end of the tunnel; not without a bit of drama though. Nevertheless, I now have a pickup date/time.

10 day countdown starts!!!

OD: 01 Feb
M3 RWD Blue/Black
Sydney

Attachments

• 85E08D11-BB4D-43D4-81F6-53F4901AC796.jpeg
    85E08D11-BB4D-43D4-81F6-53F4901AC796.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 151
There's no way we should be frowning on people taking the car and choosing to sell it. It is at their risk and they may make a loss or gain, but if they cancel they definitely make a loss of $350. If they want to take the risk and go through all the effort and stress of trying to sell a car to try and make some cash, all power to them. If enough people try to do it, there won't be any profit to make anyway, and I would assume a good chunk of our back log will be cleared with the next large shipment, so it isn't really moving the dial for most of our waiting times. Support the free market and let's ditch the moral high ground.
Well, its frowned upon by Tesla:

Reactions: kpdog and mpowney
Just a reminder, with all these delivery dates, invoices, etc flying around (you lucky things) pls take a moment to help the others who are (mostly) patiently waiting for new info from Tesla about the order.

The order tracking spreadsheet lets us get a slightly higher off the ground view of the ordering process, and let’s us come to somewhat informed opinions on where we are at in the delivery process.

So please take a moment to update your record if you previously submitted information and have had progress on your delivery. Or if you are a new member here and want to provide useful info on orders coming down the pipeline, pls jump on board as well.

Tracking spreadsheet: Tesla Australia Delivery Tracker.xlsx
Form to submit your details to the spreadsheet: Microsoft Forms

Thank you!

Finally, light at the end of the tunnel; not without a bit of drama though. Nevertheless, I now have a pickup date/time.

10 day countdown starts!!!

OD: 01 Feb
M3 RWD Blue/Black
Sydney
Now that delivery date is imminent, genuinely curious questions about PPF:

1. Why is PPF such a popular topic in the Tesla community? Is the paint quality so bad (as compared to ICE cars) that you need PPF to maintain its appearance? I’ve had a Mazda for 4 years now and there are no chip aways; it does have quite a bit of micro scratches, but I guess that quite normal and I’m ok to live with that.

2. Since I’ve paid $1500 for premium paint, should I just run without PPF and get it done after a few years. This way I’ll have a brand new (looking) metallic blue car for a few months/years and then a brand new (looking) ‘whatever colour’ car after a couple of years.

3. Does getting PPF done later in the car’s life (with potential paint chipping) make the finish inconsistent?

4. Is it cost prohibitive to paint the car after a few years as compared to doing PPF right away?

1. Why is PPF such a popular topic in the Tesla community? Is the paint quality so bad (as compared to ICE cars) that you need PPF to maintain its appearance? I’ve had a Mazda for 4 years now and there are no chip aways; it does have quite a bit of micro scratches, but I guess that quite normal and I’m ok to live with that.

2. Since I’ve paid $1500 for premium paint, should I just run without PPF and get it done after a few years. This way I’ll have a brand new (looking) metallic blue car for a few months/years and then a brand new (looking) ‘whatever colour’ car after a couple of years.

3. Does getting PPF done later in the car’s life (with potential paint chipping) make the finish inconsistent?

4. Is it cost prohibitive to paint the car after a few years as compared to doing PPF right away?
It really comes down to personal preference.
Those that want a car to look pristine for its entire life (with them) may opt for a full car PPF to mitigate against the normal wear and tear stone chips and scratches that do accumulate.
Others note that the Model 3 has a large, flat, painted area on the front bumper to accumulate chips, so PPF only the front and mirrors. (This area was traditionally a grille that hid the damage.)
Some (most) just see it as a car that will accumulate damage over time and PPF nothing.

PPF will not make a bad paint job better or fix paint chips that already exist. Paint issues can be repaired for a cost before PPF is laid on, but generally PPF is done ASAP after delivery.

I looked at the price for the non-white paint as a fee for variation, not premium paint. I do no think the other colours are better or worse quality than the base white (it is base white or grey in the US).

Reactions: sabbala
It really comes down to personal preference.
Those that want a car to look pristine for its entire life (with them) may opt for a full car PPF to mitigate against the normal wear and tear stone chips and scratches that do accumulate.
Others note that the Model 3 has a large, flat, painted area on the front bumper to accumulate chips, so PPF only the front and mirrors. (This area was traditionally a grille that hid the damage.)
Some (most) just see it as a car that will accumulate damage over time and PPF nothing.

PPF will not make a bad paint job better or fix paint chips that already exist. Paint issues can be repaired for a cost before PPF is laid on, but generally PPF is done ASAP after delivery.

I looked at the price for the non-white paint as a fee for variation, not premium paint. I do no think the other colours are better or worse quality than the base white (it is base white or grey in the US).
My Fremont made Model S I bought in 2014 had the worst paint I've experienced on a car. It was very soft and the stone chips were incredible. Given that China doesn't have qualms about lead hardeners in paint, Shanghai cars may be better, but I wouldn't be without PFF on my Model 3 when it comes.

My Fremont made Model S I bought in 2014 had the worst paint I've experienced on a car. It was very soft and the stone chips were incredible. Given that China doesn't have qualms about lead hardeners in paint, Shanghai cars may be better, but I wouldn't be without PFF on my Model 3 when it comes.
My Fremont built 2014 Model S has excellent paint quality and I protected it with PPF on the front, wing mirrors and rear bumper.
It’s only unusual in that it’s a rare colour being brown. YMMV.

In my experience paint quality varies a lot regardless of the brand of car. My ND MX5 had very poor paint and super thin clear coat - this was the primary reason that I had PPF applied to the entire car. PPF will stop some small stone chips but not all of them and when a stone or other road debris penetrates the PPF not only will it chip the paint but the PPF will have a hole in it as well. I copped a small spray from a passing vehicle on a recently "resealed" road and although the car copped a few good chips and initially I was disappointed, on reflection I can only imagine how bad it might have been without the PPF on the front guards and bonnet. One thing to consider is that PPF has a finite lifespan - it won't be there looking great in a few years but you can replace sections to refresh it. Tucked edges will start to lift and get dirt underneath and the product will weather. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome for the first couple of years but don't go in expecting it to be a forever solution. I wouldn't do a whole car again as the cost doesn't stack up for me and if I ever kept a car long enough to see the paint looking very tired I would spend the money on new paint. I would consider PPF on the front end, again only based on my own experience. Hope this helps.

Paglia due to leave Shanghai on the 15/09, expecting new VINs from Monday.
I understand the advice provided how TESLA have conducted previous quarterly allocations, but with the upgraded M3 & MY lines resulting in greater output, they will take advantage of any shipping space available to clear backlog around the world.

TESLA are determined to supply the world with as many vehicles as possible, this action will provide them with a greater return on the factory investments. I believe logistical cargo availability is the only impairment to TESLA clearing the M3 backlog.

car.gif
Stay positive, we will have our new toys soon.

1. I don't have experience with Shanghai produced Model 3 but my Fremont produced 2019 Model 3 with MSM paint had no quality issues with the paint. I have not done any protection for that paint for 3 years and its still looking great.

2-3. If you want the paint to retain its new look, there is no point in holding off a few years and then applying protection. So if you want to do protection for it, doing it brand new is the way to go.

4. A really good paint job is not cheap, but neither is good PPF, though if you repaint the car people will suspect it has been in an accident that was not reported, so PPF will retain its original paint and is above suspicion.

Personally I have never done PPF on any of my cars, as I don't believe its worth it for me, but it is a personal preference. There is very low chance you may get slightly more for your car when selling it if the paint is still in new condition, but usually it will not make any difference and you will not be able to recover the cost of it when selling it.

Paglia due to leave Shanghai on the 15/09, expecting new VINs from Monday.
I understand the advice provided how TESLA have conducted previous quarterly allocations, but with the upgraded M3 & MY lines resulting in greater output, they will take advantage of any shipping space available to clear backlog around the world.

TESLA are determined to supply the world with as many vehicles as possible, this action will provide them with a greater return on the factory investments. I believe logistical cargo availability is the only impairment to TESLA clearing the M3 backlog.

View attachment 849741
Stay positive, we will have our new toys soon.
Source?

I think everyone on here is younger than me, apologies for causing blushing.
No Need for apologies.. It's all in good spirits.

On the flippy more positive side, I'm seeing more and more Teslas on the road - Lots of CCA number plates .. Even saw an MP CCA parked in Eltham around the corner from me last night.. Sexy looking. Shout out to you if you're on the forum.

Soon my pretties, soon we shall be part of the Tesla-crew, sharing secret handshakes, informed glances and knowing winks ..