Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Whirlpool Spreadsheet there are Brisbane deliveries showing starting from the Saturday the 6th. That was the first date in my initial EDD (6-20 Aug) so looks like the position of my car on the boat etc has put me back from those earlier delivery slots to dead smack in the middle of my initial EDD range. So looking at your EDD in your signature I would expect yours to probably end up being around the 19th or so but that is just a total guess as how deep in the bowls of the car carrier the car is seems to make a difference.
Dead smack bang in the middle of a Ski trip to NZ.... I know, 1st world problems. Hope they give a few delivery date options.

Has anyone had any experience taking delivery of a Tesla if you are not the registered owner?
Here is my situation:
  • I ordered the Y through my existing tesla account that I have my Model 3 on.
  • The Y however is going to be registered in my wife's name as it will primarily be her car.
  • On the pickup date we have been given my wife will be interstate visiting her family so I will need to take delivery.
  • The Tesla website says all registered owners must be present at pickup otherwise you need a "Letter of Authority".
  • I called Tesla to ask what exactly they expect to see on a "Letter of Authority" because I want to make sure I can get the car and there are no holdups caused by me not having what they are after.
  • The person I spoke to said that I would't need any letter or anything because the car is in my account and I live at the same address as the registered owner.
  • I don't necessarily believe him.
  • So if anyone else has ever had to do a letter of authority what did it say?
  • I'm thinking that I will just get a copy of her licence and get her to write on it that I am authorised to pick up the car. Do you think that will be good enough?
Send an email to [email protected] with your wife’s drivers license and explain the situation. I am doing the exact same thing and they said it’s not a problem.

Reactions: muddie
Received invoice with build date of 02/08. How long generally shipping takes ?
Depends on when the next ship goes. I'm guessing yours will be on the Morning Cherry which departs Shanghai on 19-August and arrives Port Kembla 8-September. It then takes a few days for import processing, then it has to wait for a car carrier to be available to take it to the delivery centre which could be right away or could take a week or two.

I was charging at Canberra supercharger tonight - what do I see…

51DA93i.jpg

GB5wMqk.jpg

When the owner came back to the car I went and said hi and had a chat. He said it’s the first in Canberra. It’s his personal car, but he is a Tesla employee, so maybe he got to accept delivery early or something.

Anyway, I shared the pics (in what I thought were a couple of relatively small/closed groups) and now I’ve found them everywhere (on news stories etc). Not sure if the staff member intended to get news stories about his car … but oh well. It’s happened now!

51DA93i.jpg

GB5wMqk.jpg

When the owner came back to the car I went and said hi and had a chat. He said it’s the first in Canberra. It’s his personal car, but he is a Tesla employee, so maybe he got to accept delivery early or something.

Anyway, I shared the pics (in what I thought were a couple of relatively small/closed groups) and now I’ve found them everywhere (on news stories etc). Not sure if the staff member intended to get news stories about his car … but oh well. It’s happened now!
Did you ask whether the parcel shelf is there? :p

51DA93i.jpg

GB5wMqk.jpg

I love the fact that @Chuq , the most patient of all of Tesla deposit holders and let's face it the one who is single handedly responsible for the Model Y being in Australia ;), posts the first picture of a Model Y in the wild in Oz!