Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an SMS from Tesla saying a Model Y has been assigned to my order. I already knew about my VIN but this looks like it's one step closer. The exact text was:

"Tesla Update: A Model Y has been assigned to your order. Visit your Tesla
Account to view your delivery estimate and complete any outstanding tasks:
ts.la/account Closer to the delivery estimate visible in your Tesla Account, you will receive
an SMS to schedule your Express Delivery appointment."

The delivery estimate is still saying Aug - Nov 2022 though

I just got an SMS from Tesla saying a Model Y has been assigned to my order. I already knew about my VIN but this looks like it's one step closer. The exact text was:

"Tesla Update: A Model Y has been assigned to your order. Visit your Tesla
Account to view your delivery estimate and complete any outstanding tasks:
ts.la/account Closer to the delivery estimate visible in your Tesla Account, you will receive
an SMS to schedule your Express Delivery appointment."

The delivery estimate is still saying Aug - Nov 2022 though
Me too. Was just about to post the same thing. I assume that means that updated delivery estimates are forthcoming though.

Vin assignment won't resume until MY production back online in 2 weeks, by then it would be middle of July. I am actually happy if I can take delivery in Sept

Must be very exciting guys, did a test drive on Saturday, felt very nice, did not notice the stiff suspension at all. The SA was telling me that VINS allocation would still happen this week, i am going to be optimistic with this.
Could they confirm MY production paused for 2 weeks though?

If you think this through, the cars that have VIN have been around 3rd week of June, there is still one more week of potential Ys waiting for VIN allocation that might happen this week, this is again pure speculation.
The Y production line is shut till the 17th. They MAY assign more but I highly doubt they have cars sitting there ready to assign that haven't been already.

Model 3 VIN's on the other hand could keep coming this week as it's production till they shut on the 17th

The Y production line is shut till the 17th. They MAY assign more but I highly doubt they have cars sitting there ready to assign that haven't been already.

Model 3 VIN's on the other hand could keep coming this week as it's production till they shut on the 17th
Don't discount the fact that in the past we've seen VIN assignments to occur over a weeks, whilst the build run all occurred over the course of a couple of days. It's a slow process, I had my Model 3 assigned once it was already on the ship from Shanghai.

My guess is that it's a manual process (notice how nothing happens over the weekend or even outside of business hours?) trying to balance the delivery capacity maximum across the Tesla network with the different available configurations. Whatever it is, nobody so far has been able to decipher the logic behind it based on the limited data that's been crowd sourced.

I dont think one can buy someone else's spot in the queue. I have a model 3 and model y in order, waiting for delivery in Aug-Nov timeline. Was trying find a way I can sell my spot in the queue for model 3 or sell it before it gets delivered. Anyone has any suggestions?
There was one guy on Gumtree who was trying to buy a reservation for a model 3 out of Brisbane or Gold Coast, who apparently was willing to pay up to $5000 if he could get it before Christmas. Not sure if it was some sort of scam. I put an ad on Gumtree and have only attracted one scammer so far who was going to sell me his reservation for a model Y with a delivery in July and he'd include a screenshot from the Tesla website front page! When I questioned him futher, he stopped responding.

Don't discount the fact that in the past we've seen VIN assignments to occur over a weeks, whilst the build run all occurred over the course of a couple of days. It's a slow process, I had my Model 3 assigned once it was already on the ship from Shanghai.

My guess is that it's a manual process (notice how nothing happens over the weekend or even outside of business hours?) trying to balance the delivery capacity maximum across the Tesla network with the different available configurations. Whatever it is, nobody so far has been able to decipher the logic behind it based on the limited data that's been crowd source

My guess is that it's a manual process (notice how nothing happens over the weekend or even outside of business hours?) trying to balance the delivery capacity maximum across the Tesla network with the different available configurations. Whatever it is, nobody so far has been able to decipher the logic behind it based on the limited data that's been crowd sourced.
I had a chat with SA today and she reckon more will be allocated in this week as they usually allocate vins after cars are loaded on to the ships. I know they don't know much but from her experience this is the first time ever vins are assigned before car loaded on to the ships

Last edited:
Test drove Model Y today in fortitude valley QLD, was very concerned about harsh ride before test drive , but this car blew my mind . Ride quality is on par or bit better than my current CX5(GT) 2020 and test car has upgraded wheels so I think 19inch would be much more comfortable. I also went onto Northshore which had pretty bad streets with lot of pot holes. Haven't really noticed bouncing around as lot of reviewers mentioned. May be if you are coming from a car with air suspension or adaptive suspension you may notice the difference .

Test drove Model Y today in fortitude valley QLD, was very concerned about harsh ride before test drive , but this car blew my mind . Ride quality is on par or bit better than my current CX5(GT) 2020 and test car has upgraded wheels so I think 19inch would be much more comfortable. I also went onto Northshore which had pretty bad streets with lot of pot holes. Haven't really noticed bouncing around as lot of reviewers mentioned. May be if you are coming from a car with air suspension or adaptive suspension you may notice the difference .
That's great to know. I've ordered the 20" wheels and was a bit concerned about ride quality from some car reviewers who complained about it being too firm.