Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon confirmed HW4 incoming, starting with Cybertruck this year.
HW4 better than HW3.
No retrofitting.
“HW3 won't be as good as HW4 but will still be able to achieve autonomy and be significantly safer than human driving.
Retrofitting HW3 to HW4 wouldn't be economically feasible.”

Well...I was told (when I paid $10k for FSD and got the HW3.0 upgraded from HW2.5) that my Model X would be able to do FSD without any issues...been waiting years and still not happening...however when/if FSD ever comes to Australia and if HW3.0 doesn't achieve full FSD without any compromises I'll be contacting my lawyer as I was told by Tesla that if I pay the $10k it would ensure my Model X would always get upgraded to whatever FSD HW was needed to achieve FSD without any compromises.

Oh, and I have that is writting from a Tesla email address.

Out of curiosity, extremely poor as in compared to Private sale? How bad was it?
I compared Tesla to Instant offer from carsales, around 12% difference.
Tesla offered $26k. Carsales & redbook say the approximate value for trade in should be about $33-37k, and private sales about $40-45k. On offer on Carsales, the cheapest prices seem to be $42k.

Thanks for the tip about instant offer. I’ll try that & see what happens.

How many other sub 4 second family SUVs are available in Australia for $100k with a bit of change? Ignoring the fact it's an EV and not burning $ on fuel.

Dad can thrash it on the weekdays and drive the family around on the weekend.

You are missing the point. In China, US and Europe the price drop was substantial. Not by a few thousand but by around 10k or more. I cannot see a reason why Tesla could not have extended this to Australian buyers. As MYP buyers have been waiting for a very long time. Also I would like to have FSD but looks like the current tech will be superseded within a year. Tesla do have a habit of over promising and under delivering lately.

I'm not missing the point lol. I'm looking at what's available in the local market based on reality, not what's happening in other markets far far away.

No *sugar* It'd be great to get a MYP for less than $100k, but that's unrealistic and there's no completion for it here

Last edited:
You are missing the point. In China, US and Europe the price drop was substantial. Not by a few thousand but by around 10k or more. I cannot see a reason why Tesla could not have extended this to Australian buyers. As MYP buyers have been waiting for a very long time. Also I would like to have FSD but looks like the current tech will be superseded within a year. Tesla do have a habit of over promising and under delivering lately.
We have always paid more, look at the mercedes AMG GLC63s , I consider it comparable performance and size wise to the MYP. In the US they are US$85K or about AU$120K.. what are they here ? a bit over $200K
just like a can of coke, they will charge what people will pay 😂

To Tesla or not to Tesla!

So nearest competitor is this IMHO

Costs roughly the same...has a wider set of garages to service at (reason people by it over tesla) and looks good

But, safety, not in same league...(reason I like the Tesla).....88% vs 97% ...etc

Reactions: Dreumus
Oh, I intend to do an instant depcreciation on the new tesla for tax purposes (thanks covid!)

so the 70K tesla, minus GST, then remove 60K depreciation (which I dont pay tax on)..meaning I get 45% marginal at 60K.

People wonder why the sales forecourts are busy! it is the tradies doing the tax thing. Same tradie buying the mega mansion for cash, and sending kids private...aus is the land of the tradie.

I'm not missing the point lol. I'm looking at what's available in the local market based on reality, not what's happening in other markets far far away.

No *sugar* It'd be great to get a MYP for less than $100k, but that's unrealistic and there's no completion for it here
If you buy it through a company, you can get the GST back - (about $8,900 I think) gets you under 100k