Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C)where are you getting your info? SCS in the USA cost 500k they will be much more in aus (labour/power/solar costs etc)

All I've ever heard (from Elon) is that the average cost is about $150k without solar and $300k with solar. There are many sources for this, but here's one I found with a 2 second Google search:

Tesla to expand high-speed Supercharger network | Autocar

Where have you got the $500k figure from?

Anyway, not many superchargers have solar yet, which undoubtedly speeds up the rollout process, so I think they could get something happening pretty quickly over here, even after adding the "Australia Tax".

I think building superchargers in AUS will not be more expensive than in US. The $150k referenced by Moollar include labor and construction work. Tesla will only pay import duty on the supercharger hardware which excludes the transformator and the power distribution box - these would be AUS sourced. Labor and construction costs may be higher in AUS, but not artificially blown out of proportion like import duty and LCT do to imported cars.

I think building superchargers in AUS will not be more expensive than in US. The $150k referenced by Moollar include labor and construction work. Tesla will only pay import duty on the supercharger hardware which excludes the transformator and the power distribution box - these would be AUS sourced. Labor and construction costs may be higher in AUS, but not artificially blown out of proportion like import duty and LCT do to imported cars.

I think you might be surprised VolkerP. Even if the labour cost is not dramatically higher, there will be other costs like acquiring or renting land. Despite being about the same physical area as the US (except Alaska) and having only about 7% of the population, even the crappiest square of dirt in the middle of nowhere can be astonishingly expensive if you're actually allowed to build on it.

Australia leads the world in digging things out of the ground, producing carbon dioxide, and making things much more expensive than they need to be.

Ok, I have a new map taking into account suggestions!

There are now more Superchargers on each route allowing you to skip Superchargers if desired. It is also far more feasible for 60kW cars.

Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 4.40.33 pm.png

Sydney to Melbourne:
  • Goulburn, NSW
  • Gundagai, NSW
  • Holbrook, NSW
  • Wangaratta, Vic
  • Seymour, Vic

Melbourne to Adelaide:
  • Ballarat, Vic
  • Horsham, Vic
  • Keith, SA

Sydney to Brisbane:
  • Freemans Waterhole, NSW
  • Taree, NSW
  • Urunga, NSW
  • Woodburn, NSW
  • Tweed Heads, NSW

Regional Superchargers NSW
  • Lithgow
  • Dubbo
  • Tamworth

Regional Superchargers Victoria
  • Bendigo
  • Geelong
  • Ouyen

Regional Superchargers Queensland
  • Toowoomba
  • Sippy Downs

Regional Superchargers South Australia
  • Gawler

I read that the average cost to build the superchargers was $500k which was a couple hundred grand for both build and purchase. I can't see them getting the land for free

Land is never a problem. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they are paid to have Superchargers at certain locations simply because of the high-wealth customers who frequent them.

Heosat have you given some thought to potential 24 hour businesses where the Superchargers could be located?
That seems to be that feature of the vast majority of existing Supercharger locations in the US and EU.
When I came up with my original list I had some difficulty finding such locations in places like Seymour VIC.

There's almost no 24 hour businesses in the country. Petrol stations are out, especially the company owned ones for obvious reasons. There's Maccas or the local burger bar, or the local pub but none of them are open 24 hours.

Firstly there are a number of McDonalds open 24 hrs on major highways and BP still has their BP solar division so I would not write them all off just yet.

There's almost no 24 hour businesses in the country. Petrol stations are out, especially the company owned ones for obvious reasons. There's Maccas or the local burger bar, or the local pub but none of them are open 24 hours.

I'm not sure that this will really make a difference. The superchargers themselves don't actually need anyone in attendance to function, as long as they are accessible. Obviously having a business nearby selling coffees/food etc with a toilet are highly desirable.

Regional councils in these country towns would probably be happy to support a supercharger there if they don't have to pay for it - I'm thinking of the rest areas that are all over the place, including little places like Holbrook that have been bypassed by the freeway. If they are not open at 2am then it's not a biggie provided there are toilets open! Having a quick power nap in the car while supercharging at night may not be a bad thing.

Lithgow is a logical place for it since it's in the middle of the blue mountains etc and has a heap of tourist areas.

Of course, most of this is moot until we actually see what Tesla Aus are planning, but conversations I have had indicate that they will be looking (sensibly) at a combination of supercharging and destination charging - much cheaper.

I'd also expect that the superchargers would be spaced a bit wider since you can travel 300km with ease in a Model S - we drove Sydney to Canberra still with just on 100km remaining in a Roadster. Admittedly that was driving much slower than I'd usually drive (the cruise was set at 105km/h). I'd expect the Model S to get around 400km real world normal driving, so 280-320km spacing should be doable, depending on the elevation changes.

I'd also expect that the roll-out will initially be driven by the feedback of the owners. I've been to Melbourne and Brisbane from Sydney around 8 times this year, but haven't driven to either in years! I'd pretty well always fly unless I had loads of time, but always tend to drive to Canberra, Coffs Harbour, Orange, Hunter Valley etc. A supercharger near Canberra - Goulbourn or even Yass is good - would enable day trips. Overnight you can charge at Crowne using 32A, and I;m sure that there are other places there to charge.

Taree would make a lot of sense as well - depending on how much the climb affects usage. Supercharge at Taree and then destination charge at Coffs. :)

Something that I'd really like to see is a way to find places that have a 20, 32 or greater capacity for charging easily. That way we could actually see where we can go.

Out of interest, does anyone know how much charge you can expect to pull from a 15A circuit? A mate of mine in Orange has one and it would be interesting to see how much charge can be had with it. The rule of thumb appears to be about 5km/kWh, so does 15km/h seem reasonable?