Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were me, for the first Supercharger site, I would approach Trappers Bakery in Goulburn.
No Oil company to deal with although there is a Petrol station across the road, It's open longish hours and there's a drive through McDonald's up the road that is 24 hrs.
.... and the food there is great!

Yep, definitely the right fit as far as location, position from highway and space.

So the key would be to find a spot right next to the petrol station but not owned by the petrol station or their licensees...like a rest area for example or a public car park would be ideal.

I'm not sure that the petrol station is really a problem...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152507470337801&set=a.398080447800.166146.18790602800&type=1

- - - Updated - - -

If it were me, for the first Supercharger site, I would approach Trappers Bakery in Goulburn.
No Oil company to deal with although there is a Petrol station across the road, It's open longish hours and there's a drive through McDonald's up the road that is 24 hrs.

I've been stopping at the Paragon cafe in Goulburn for years, something near there would be great as there are also a lot of other choices nearby..

http://www.paragoncafe.com.au

Interesting. Also shortsighted since EV drivers will be there for longer and may spend less in fuel but more in more profitable sales of food, drink etc.

Very short sighted, I can remember articles in early '00s from magazines and newspapers stating they would never move to online print. I'm sure that worked out well for them. Wish I had a link for that, but the point is; adapt or die.

I think the transition will be slow enough that we'll see them adapt.

I can't believe that McDonalds (despite what you may think of their product) or some other large chain hasn't jumped all over this opportunity to form a partnership with Tesla. Great green image and headline for their company, possibility to reduce operating costs and draw in extra customers/revenue, locations and real estate already established.

I can't believe that McDonalds (despite what you may think of their product) or some other large chain hasn't jumped all over this opportunity to form a partnership with Tesla. Great green image and headline for their company, possibility to reduce operating costs and draw in extra customers/revenue, locations and real estate already established.
I'm glad that they haven't. Apart from the toilets, Maccas have very little to offer Tesla drivers and nothing positive to offer the Tesla brand image.

I'll pass on that. I haven't bought McDonalds since 1982/3 and have no intention of doing so ever again. The last McDonalds that I had was given to me by a colleague when on an emergency call-out back in 1989. I had one bite of whatever it was to be polite, since he'd bought it for me without asking, and pocketed the rest for safe disposal later.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad that they haven't. Apart from the toilets, Maccas have very little to offer Tesla drivers and nothing positive to offer the Tesla brand image.

Agreed.

I'll pass on that. I haven't bought McDonalds since 1982/3 and have no intention of doing so ever again. The last McDonalds that I had was given to me by a colleague when on an emergency call-out back in 1989. I had one bite of whatever it was to be polite, since he'd bought it for me without asking, and pocketed the rest for safe disposal later.

Agreed that the standard burgers etc haven't moved on much since 1982, but McCafe coffee and food is reasonable. I have surprised a few people from overseas by asking if they want a coffee when we are out driving, taking them to maccas, watching their face fall, then getting a decent coffee in a cup and a toasted sandwich, which they were pleasantly surprised by.

Agreed that the standard burgers etc haven't moved on much since 1982, but McCafe coffee and food is reasonable. I have surprised a few people from overseas by asking if they want a coffee when we are out driving, taking them to maccas, watching their face fall, then getting a decent coffee in a cup and a toasted sandwich, which they were pleasantly surprised by.

I've never forgiven them for their advertising blatantly targeting young children. I don't care if the food gets better, i won't eat there. I feel the same way about tobacco companies.

I do think at the end of the day there needs to be a compromise. Don't forget that not everybody drives during the day. If I'm driving at night, I want to be able to go to the toilet or buy a bottle of water at 10pm. Unfortunately, the only places that would offer that are petrol stations and fast food places. Even if we used Maccas as a bathroom break and to get some water...

Yes, the best compromise would be one at Maccas or a servo, one somewhere nice:smile:
(not holding my breath for that though)

Can't imagine servos holding out forever. Macca's often used in this country as a (reasonably clean, normally) toilet stop, like Starbucks are used in the US.

In Victoria, I would guess that a SC would be required in Warrnambool, at the end of the Great Ocean Road, an iconic 348 km scenic journey from Melbourne, requiring a charge to cover the 269 km return journey to Melbourne via the Princes Highway. Thus, eventually, providing a stepping stone SC on the Southern route to Adelaide via Mt Gambier, 182 km west of Warrnambool (via the shortest route, through Heywood - longer through seaside Portland).

It appears to me that the obvious choice would be the big mall operators. Centro, Stockland and naturally Westfield. It's a win win situation. The malls get high valued pre qualified shoppers, Tesla owners get to top up whilst they are having a haircut in the mall. There are some great locations Westfield Bondi Junction, Chatswood, Chadstone, Southland... I suspect there are more than 30 cars within a 15 minute drive of the Sydney mega malls... Even the supermarket duopoly could get on the bandwagon, the first one in could secure a large number of high valued and loyal shoppers. They have the car parks, and the reason to support the industry.

It appears to me that the obvious choice would be the big mall operators. Centro, Stockland and naturally Westfield. It's a win win situation. The malls get high valued pre qualified shoppers, Tesla owners get to top up whilst they are having a haircut in the mall. There are some great locations Westfield Bondi Junction, Chatswood, Chadstone, Southland... I suspect there are more than 30 cars within a 15 minute drive of the Sydney mega malls... Even the supermarket duopoly could get on the bandwagon, the first one in could secure a large number of high valued and loyal shoppers. They have the car parks, and the reason to support the industry.

i don't think we should forget the point here - Superchargers are essentially for long distance travellers, not urban dwellers (who will normally charge at home or work), & are likely to be positioned on the fringes of our major cities, eg, the Western Ring Road in Melbourne, servicing many highways (Hume, Western, Princes). No denying, we should likely be sought-after clients, from a business persective, particularly as we represent the future of motoring.