Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I read somewhere that in America they have an 80% load rule (could be wrong about that) but it would explain why they want a 40a breaker for 32amp load.

Yes, that's correct. You can have startup loads that exceed the continuous rating of the circuit for quite a time (something like a minute I believe) and the breaker would certainly have tripped without the extra capacity. Now that I live in the US, I am still amazed when the lights all dim because the air conditioner started up...

You'll need to check with your electricity provider if they allow you to put car chargers on off-peak as it is designed for heating.
Here in Tassie any outlets we find on off-peak we are suppose to remove them or Hardwire the heater in.
And no you won't get away with it, the amount of extra kW/h on your bill won't go unnoticed.
(This wasn't directed at you Dborn, just adding to your comment)
I am on time of use metering, so i was just using the generic "off peak" to make the point. It does not matter how much i draw. In fact, my spa is timed for the early hours, and, in winter, so is my pool. So, my car also will be. My solar will offset that during sunshine hours at 60c a Kwh....

Hi ggr,
In Australia we don't increase the breaker size to compensate for the inductive loads, we have circuit breakers with different tripping curves, this will allow you to install a smaller size cable that can handle the normal load and a circuit breaker that will not trip during the start up load. It also saves money not spent on larger copper cables.

Nice Dborn, sounds like you got a really good setup.

Hi ggr,
In Australia we don't increase the breaker size to compensate for the inductive loads, we have circuit breakers with different tripping curves, this will allow you to install a smaller size cable that can handle the normal load and a circuit breaker that will not trip during the start up load. It also saves money not spent on larger copper cables.

Nice Dborn, sounds like you got a really good setup.
An American circuit breaker will trip in 5-15 minutes if you have a continuous draw at the labeled amperage, hence the 80% rule. The National Electrical Code and the labeling of product is consistent in this way. However, if you are following the European way, then sockets and such are rated for continuous draw at the labeled current. For example, CEE 16A blue connector shown on the Mennekes charge adapter I pictured up-thread is designed for 16A continuous draw.

In any case, the Tesla Wall Connector is designed for hard-wired installation. If you put a plug on it, you're on your own. For convenience, here's the link to the HK/China approved full manual in case you're interested. I expect the same exact unit will be distributed in Australia.

I have nothing official yet but from my conversations it seems that Tesla does indeed intend to install Superchargers in Australia just not immediately.
The most likely place for the first supercharger locations would be between Sydney and Melbourne making Marulan and Goulburn prime candidates for the first Supercharger installation. For the curious among us you can look up Development applications on line in these areas.
Marulan is in the Wingecarribee Council and new Development Applications appear here.
Goulburn is in the Goulburn Mulwaree council and development applications appear here.
Is anyone is familiar with the Councils North of Sydney and where DA's are published online?
Plus perhaps a Melbourne TMC member can tell us where the DA's for places like Seymour would appear?

I know in the past Tesla have wanted to put Superchargers where there are 24 hours amenities (or close to) like food, toilets or convenience stores. But unfortunately we're not like the US, and the only real "24 hour" places are petrol stations. I read somewhere that Tesla don't really like having their superchargers near petrol stations so my question is: would you guys care if it was next to a petrol station? I actually think it would be really good for Tesla - all the people who are filling up with petrol have nothing to do but to gawk at our cars. I think it might also encourage conversation with ICE owners and maybe educate them a little on the car?

Classic scenario:

ICE owner - oh hey is that your electric car?
You - yes
ICE owner - are you leaving it to charge overnight?
You - nah, just charging it for 20 mins, so I can get some food and go to the bathroom, then I'm off
ICE owner - what? I thought you had to charge those things for ages
You - not anymore, it's a Tesla.

Anyway those are my thoughts. Where would you guys like to see the Superchargers on the Melbourne to Sydney route (that will likely be the first I'm guessing)?

Just looking for logical places to charge on the route, not exposure. There are small towns that would fit the bill in terms of range from supercharger to supercharger. I doubt that they would use service centres or truck stops along major routes, but you never know. It would bring in business after all.

You'd think the service centres and truckstops would be asking Tesla to use their land really! I mean, what business doesn't want the demographic of a $100k+ car owner killing 45mins or so near their services?

... one who sells petrol.

I'm not sure if these places are independently owned or owned by the petrol companies. (Or worse, the petrol suppliers threaten pulling services from independent owners ... maybe not yet, but eventually I think they'll try it).

I'm not sure if these places are independently owned or owned by the petrol companies. (Or worse, the petrol suppliers threaten pulling services from independent owners ... maybe not yet, but eventually I think they'll try it).

So the key would be to find a spot right next to the petrol station but not owned by the petrol station or their licensees...like a rest area for example or a public car park would be ideal.

I think this is a little toooo conspiratorial - business is business.

Providing facilities or not would have no impact on the take-up of electric vehicles - the facilities will just be provided somewhere else in any case.

If it was an independent site I would also think any pressure by the petrol companies would fall foul of the ACCC.

I think this is a little toooo conspiratorial - business is business.

Providing facilities or not would have no impact on the take-up of electric vehicles - the facilities will just be provided somewhere else in any case.

If it was an independent site I would also think any pressure by the petrol companies would fall foul of the ACCC.

Because the ACCC has been so successful in their investigations as to why petrol prices always go up around public holiday weekends....?