Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears to me that the obvious choice would be the big mall operators. Centro, Stockland and naturally Westfield. It's a win win situation. The malls get high valued pre qualified shoppers, Tesla owners get to top up whilst they are having a haircut in the mall. There are some great locations Westfield Bondi Junction, Chatswood, Chadstone, Southland... I suspect there are more than 30 cars within a 15 minute drive of the Sydney mega malls... Even the supermarket duopoly could get on the bandwagon, the first one in could secure a large number of high valued and loyal shoppers. They have the car parks, and the reason to support the industry.

In the US and other countries, the large mall operators, including Westfield, are putting in free EV charge stations in preferred parking locations to attract customers. Australia could learn a lot about customer service, including how to attract and retain customers, from others. Unfortunately many retailers here act as though the customers are privileged to shop with them.

i don't think we should forget the point here - Superchargers are essentially for long distance travellers, not urban dwellers (who will normally charge at home or work), & are likely to be positioned on the fringes of our major cities, eg, the Western Ring Road in Melbourne, servicing many highways (Hume, Western, Princes). No denying, we should likely be sought-after clients, from a business persective, particularly as we represent the future of motoring.

Yep I don't think we should confuse superchargers with high powered wall units (for example) that shopping centres can offer to their customers.

Yep I don't think we should confuse superchargers with high powered wall units (for example) that shopping centres can offer to their customers.

The Australian coastal and inland roads have quite a few country and seaside towns, with some that have been bypassed in the last twenty or thirty years by the big highways but still have a choice of decent restaurants. For example, in NSW Mittagong and Goulburn on the Hume Hwy comes to mind, Cooma on the way to the Snow, Bermagui and others on the South Coast road, and Orange, Dubbo and Broken Hill on the way from Sydney to Adelaide. Such towns would welcome such a new passing trade created by a SC within walking distance of the town centre. You wouldn't be 'captured' by a single isolated restaurant like Harris in California between LA and SF; there would be a wider choice. I agree the Hume and Pacific Highways are the first priorities, but in Australia there are many such towns just a few minutes from such large road arteries. The enforced 45 minute charge stops could be very nice meals or stopovers. I just hope we aren't forced into those dreary plastic food stops that are actually on the Highway.

The Australian coastal and inland roads have quite a few country and seaside towns, with some that have been bypassed in the last twenty or thirty years by the big highways but still have a choice of decent restaurants. For example, in NSW Mittagong and Goulburn on the Hume Hwy comes to mind, Cooma on the way to the Snow, Bermagui and others on the South Coast road, and Orange, Dubbo and Broken Hill on the way from Sydney to Adelaide. Such towns would welcome such a new passing trade created by a SC within walking distance of the town centre. You wouldn't be 'captured' by a single isolated restaurant like Harris in California between LA and SF; there would be a wider choice. I agree the Hume and Pacific Highways are the first priorities, but in Australia there are many such towns just a few minutes from such large road arteries. The enforced 45 minute charge stops could be very nice meals or stopovers. I just hope we aren't forced into those dreary plastic food stops that are actually on the Highway.

If you have any feedback on my SC map please let me know and I'll update it. I think I nicely covered the small towns along the primary routes.

If you have any feedback on my SC map please let me know and I'll update it. I think I nicely covered the small towns along the primary routes.

Yes you have, nice job. I should have looked back over that but I was reacting to the most recent talk of placing the charging stations directly on the highway rather than inside the town. Going back, I also see that Meloccom already talked about the Paragon in Goulburn, so I'll just say I agree that kind of installation is what we could press Stone to consider, but maybe it should not be tied to single restaurants.

At your invitation, I looked back at your map of April 12 and I think you have done an excellent job in most areas. Probably my biggest concern is that getting to Adelaide from Sydney or Canberra makes you go too far south when it might be better to head west after Gundagai and pass through Nrrandara, Hay, Mildura and Renmark. This creates a triangle between Gundagai, Melbourne and Adelaide where the vertex at Gundagai is easily accessible from Sydney and Canberra from the Hume Highway. You could then forget the SC at Ouyen.

My proposed SC at Hay would become a useful connection to meet a future inland route from Brisbane inland through Tamworth and Dubbo (both already with SCs on your map), and Marsden. The Blue Mountains run west from Sydney to Lithgow is a busy highway and would need another SC at Bathurst that allows Dubbo or Marsden to be accessed. Also a smaller charger at Katoomba or Leura would allow people to charge up overnight night in the hotels there and tour the hilly Mountains.

I think there are also possibilities for using Victorian/NSW coastal road with a side connection through Bega to Cooma/Jindabyne to Canberra. This would mostly be a tourist road but would still be useful between Canberra and the South East Corner.

There are other possibilities but these seem most important.

Apologies my point was rather poorly presented. If there are high powered chargers or super chargers in the main town centers, cities, and shopping malls where people frequent the last hurdle of electric cars is solved. In this way I don't need a home charger, actually I don't need to do anything different, (except not go to a petrol station) an average person will visit a mall or supermarket and its natural to just plug in a go. The cars then appeal to renters, people without garages, people who live in the inner cities. Charging is more than travelling between cities. For me that is actually the last of my concerns.

Yes you have, nice job. I should have looked back over that but I was reacting to the most recent talk of placing the charging stations directly on the highway rather than inside the town. Going back, I also see that Meloccom already talked about the Paragon in Goulburn, so I'll just say I agree that kind of installation is what we could press Stone to consider, but maybe it should not be tied to single restaurants.

At your invitation, I looked back at your map of April 12 and I think you have done an excellent job in most areas. Probably my biggest concern is that getting to Adelaide from Sydney or Canberra makes you go too far south when it might be better to head west after Gundagai and pass through Nrrandara, Hay, Mildura and Renmark. This creates a triangle between Gundagai, Melbourne and Adelaide where the vertex at Gundagai is easily accessible from Sydney and Canberra from the Hume Highway. You could then forget the SC at Ouyen.

My proposed SC at Hay would become a useful connection to meet a future inland route from Brisbane inland through Tamworth and Dubbo (both already with SCs on your map), and Marsden. The Blue Mountains run west from Sydney to Lithgow is a busy highway and would need another SC at Bathurst that allows Dubbo or Marsden to be accessed. Also a smaller charger at Katoomba or Leura would allow people to charge up overnight night in the hotels there and tour the hilly Mountains.

I think there are also possibilities for using Victorian/NSW coastal road with a side connection through Bega to Cooma/Jindabyne to Canberra. This would mostly be a tourist road but would still be useful between Canberra and the South East Corner.

There are other possibilities but these seem most important.

Cheers for the feedback, I'll update my map with your suggestions!

Ok, I've updated my map (now 23 sites):

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 5.28.29 pm.png

I removed Ouyen and added in:
  • Mildura
  • Hay
  • West Wyalong
  • Bathurst
  • Sea Lake

This has nicely improved the coverage around the south-eastern corner of the country. I haven't covered the coastal route yet as I expect that would be lower on their priority list.

Ok, I've updated my map (now 23 sites):

I removed Ouyen and added in:
  • Mildura
  • Hay
  • West Wyalong
  • Bathurst
  • Sea Lake

This has nicely improved the coverage around the south-eastern corner of the country. I haven't covered the coastal route yet as I expect that would be lower on their priority list.

Looking good, any chance you could update the full list of place names in the one post?
Mind you, I think that the priority is to work out where most people will actually drive and therefore justify the supercharger.

For me, I drive Sydney-Canberra, Sydney-Orange and Sydney-Brisbane more commonly than other places. Mind you, I might be tempted to do more road trips if the superchargers were in place - maybe an incentive also for destination charging opportunities. Getting 40A or the new HPWC installed at hotels/resorts etc wouldn't be too expensive to do and would lure Teslas there, at least in the short term.

I'm just wondering, there are no SCs in the capital cities, They aren't needed if you live in the city as you'll have a home charger, but what are visiting Teslas supposed to do? If I'm visiting Sydney for a week for instance and doing day trips then I'll need to recharge whilst I'm there and recharge before I leave.

SCs are never meant for that, instead you should be using destination chargers or the UMC when it arrives.

Or, come say hi to one of the owners in that city who I'm sure would be happy to lend you their charger!

Last edited:
Looking good, any chance you could update the full list of place names in the one post?
Mind you, I think that the priority is to work out where most people will actually drive and therefore justify the supercharger.

For me, I drive Sydney-Canberra, Sydney-Orange and Sydney-Brisbane more commonly than other places. Mind you, I might be tempted to do more road trips if the superchargers were in place - maybe an incentive also for destination charging opportunities. Getting 40A or the new HPWC installed at hotels/resorts etc wouldn't be too expensive to do and would lure Teslas there, at least in the short term.

Here's the full list!

NSW:
  • Goulburn
  • Freemans Waterhole
  • Bathurst
  • Dubbo
  • Tamworth
  • Holbrook
  • West Wyalong
  • Taree
  • Urunga
  • Woodburn
  • Tweed Heads
  • Hay

Victoria:
  • Wangratta
  • Seymour
  • Bendigo
  • Geelong
  • Sea Lake
  • Mildura
  • Horsham

SA:
  • Keith
  • Gawler

QLD:
  • Toowoomba
  • Sippy Downs

Here's the full list!

NSW:
  • Goulburn
  • Freemans Waterhole
  • Bathurst
  • Dubbo
  • Tamworth
  • Holbrook
  • West Wyalong
  • Taree
  • Urunga
  • Woodburn
  • Tweed Heads
  • Hay

Victoria:
  • Wangratta
  • Seymour
  • Bendigo
  • Geelong
  • Sea Lake
  • Mildura
  • Horsham

SA:
  • Keith
  • Gawler

QLD:
  • Toowoomba
  • Sippy Downs

QLD sites would likely need revision....Bruce Hwy between BNE and Noosa would be key. Based on what they have done in US, it seems they will try to cover bulk of population (= coastal) and major travel routes.