Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Hardware Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new P100D from the Dallas service center in December. I have been driving a P85D for two years and was very pleased with the performance of the autopilot.

So far my experience with the new hardware has not been great. I'm wondering now, if it has something to do with the software still advancing or if maybe I have an issue with my particular vehicle?

The problem that I've noticed from the beginning, which has become much more pronounced at higher speeds, is that the lane lines on the screen are constantly shifting/moving. Even when I am at a complete standstill they are moving to the right and left.

While driving, this translates into a constant shifting within the lane (and sometimes across the lane). The system is particularly unreliable when heading up a rise in the road or when encountering shadows.

Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this or if I might have a problem with my existing camera and hardware? As a long time Tesla fan, I don't mind being patient as they roll out upgrades. However, now that they have increased the auto pilot highway speed to 80 mph, and my system is still dangerously unreliable, I'm wondering if I have a problem? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I have had my P100D do some pretty funky things while on AP. But along with that I would get the message "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable. If issue persist contact Tesla service" Have taken the car to Tesla but they still haven't solved the problem yet. FYI I refuse to take my P100D on AP anywhere near 80 MPH. Won't even let it go past 70 MPH. If I want to go 80 MPH I will "Manually" Drive the car.

Regarding speed, I do not use the auto pilot at 80 mph, but this is really my first chance to use it because most of our roads in the North Texas area were moving too fast for the 55 mile an hour limit. Using it at 60 to 65 and autosteer is extremely unreliable. Much worse than my AP1 on the previous vehicle.

With the latest "8.1" release, AP2 is better and operates at higher speeds, but still probably not at a point where operating under AutoSteer is safer than a human driver. For now, treat AP2 as a "student driver", still learning how to react to driving conditions, and be ready to take over control at any time.

And in a few releases, hopefully, the "student driver" will learn enough to be trusted to drive with less monitoring.

I got my HW2 90D right before Christmas. In that time it has gone from literally no features (no TACC, no AP, no autopark, no lane departure warnings, no summon, etc) to being close to having most of them:

TACC up to 85 mph. The first patch including TACC was limited to 70mph which was too low to use on any Dallas highways if the traffic is moving, I was pretty annoyed with that one since the basic cruise control was more useful since it could be set to 90. The early TACC was a bit aggressive braking (i.e. approaching a stopped car when moving at speed), they have also improved it to be more natural at accelerating and braking. A HW1 owner I know said this was the exact same progression of improvements to the TACC on his car when it was being rolled out.

AP progressed from non-existent to working 35 to 45 to 55 to 80 mph on highways.

Most of the other features are coming online or are 'in' (lane departure, parallel park assist, summon). The only notable big feature omission I believe is the parking assist for backing into a space.

I expect the car to be fully on par with HW1 car within 2 months. Tesla is clearly aiming to get all the software to a nice usable state before the Model 3 launch. After that it should just keep getting better and better ...

The 8.1 release is much better for AP 2.0 than previous builds. Still needs some sandpaper to smooth out the rough edges but it's getting there. I imagine 3 months from now we'll be talking true AP 1.0 parity.

AP2 at this stage is like AP1 was in its early stages. Erratic, harsh(er) and too late stops in traffic, etc. For those that had AP1 from its inception know what I mean. It will get progressively better as AP1 did but as the OP said it is like a student driver on the 3-4 time our abs you just keep wanting to push the brake pedal that little bit earlier and grab the wheel when entering curves and nest to other vehicles. I am "hopeful" that the soon to come easterbasket will include another quick jump like 8.1 did

We're close to 4 weeks for our S 100D.

Over the weekend (on 17.11.3), tried using AutoSteer on a 100 mile round trip - and it performed pretty well, with only a few times when I had to assert control.

Wonder if the software is continuing to calibrate the sensors - improving AP operations over time...

500 mi road trip this weekend and only overtook control once. Other times like exchanging lanes quickly and freeway interchanges I took manual control. Lane changing needs some improvement. Lane stability as well, it hugs right or left in corners a bit too much for comfort in narrow freeway sections.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Pretty much the same experience here. Did a 400 mile each-way trip this last weekend, on AS almost the entire way. I actually had to take over twice(the lane split and it chose the wrong lane to end up in), and there were a few times where I just didn't feel like I could trust it and took over(a center divider wall right up on the lane line and a couple times where people were merging like crazy).

Main complaint at this point is just that lane changing is a bit rough. It always seems to start overly cautiously and then, halfway through, just dives into the lane.

• Informative
I picked up my AP2 car just a couple weeks ago.

Not sure if it is just a bias but even my SO noticed that over the past week it has gotten way way smoother. My hypothesis is that the cameras calibrate better and better for the initial set of miles. We just drove ~250 miles this weekend and Autosteer was really smooth the entire time.

Last week on the same freeway (with the same software version) it was really shaky, I described it as "ping pong".

It still doesn't handle curves very well (as much as I'd like), but it is coming along.

• Informative
There are times when I still feel the urge to hold the steering on AP2, it still feels a bit hesitant on curvy freeways, but in general it has gotten way better and its very much usable, just needs more attention from the driver than a truly hands off and relax experience. I expect by summer we will have a very reliable system in place. So far I'm happy that atleast freeway speeds have been brought up

How can it be "hands off and relax" when you have to keep your hands on or the AP disengages? Is Tesla going to eliminate the nag screens? I question the benefit of AP if I have to keep my hand on the wheel anyway.

How can it be "hands off and relax" when you have to keep your hands on or the AP disengages? Is Tesla going to eliminate the nag screens? I question the benefit of AP if I have to keep my hand on the wheel anyway.

In my experience, even with my hands on the wheel, it's far less taxing going long distances with AS enabled. I'm more freed up to look around and take a higher-level view of what's going on(making sure I'm aware of which exit I need to take, where other cars are around me, etc) instead of having to focus on steering every single instant. And that leaving aside being able to *not* have hands on the wheel and just checking in by touching the wheel every once in a while.

I just got back early this morning from the 400 mile drive from San Diego to San Jose. That drive is normally hell, but was no problem with AS.

The AP1 in my P85D loaner is quite a few steps above the AP2 in my 60 that is currently in the shop. No surprise here as many have already mentioned this previously, both in this thread and the countless others on this topic.

I was surprised to learn that AP1 with auto-steer enabled is not limited to 35 MPH on side roads. That alone is a huge benefit with the first version. In fact, the limit imposed for auto-steer on side roads seems to be quite inconsistent with AP1. Sometimes it does not set a limit even if the car knows the max speed for the area. Other times, it doesn't let you go more than 5 MPH over the posted speed limit. In any case, AP1 right now is better than AP2. Like others have mentioned, I also expect AP2 will be equivalent to AP1 very soon. AP2 is likely going to blow our minds when it is fully operational.

The nagging is nowhere near as much in the 85 with AP1 compared to my 60's AP2. AP1 only seems to be concerned when going around turns on the highway, but not always. Also, AP1 requests your presence when on side roads where the lane markings are not great. AP2 is that student driver that needs its hand held almost constantly - meaning the steering wheel needs to be nudged quite frequently.

Autopilot fees like I have jumped into the future every time I use it. It is incredible. To think that it is only going to get better is pretty unreal, and the only thing I have to do is wait for the free wireless software upgrade. The anticipation of future software upgrades is one of the best features of owning a Tesla.

As far as diving into lanes with auto-steer is concerned, I find it depends on how long you hold the turn signal and the amount of traffic around you. Once you get used to how the vehicle will react, you will know how long to hold the signal. I sometimes just hold the stick instead of fully engaging it because I feel it gives me more control and makes for a smoother lane transition.

AP1 recognizes and diplays large trucks. AP2 does not have this capability yet, unless mine is not fully functioning. See the truck in the right lane. The AP2 in my 60 would display this truck as a car.
20170412_174342.jpg

I will eventually have to spend another $4K on top of the $5K I already paid for the enhanced autopilot. Although I figure having a personal driver available every time I step into the car doesn't come cheap.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oktane