Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, Autopilot works great in traffic that slows way down and then goes again. It saves a lot of effort.

But when traffic comes to a complete stop before going again, I have to turn it off because it's too slow to get going again. Here in So. Cal., someone cuts into the gap (it seems like) almost every time.

I have simple needs. Just want plain old Autopilot to take some burden off me in stop and go traffic. Used to be ok. Now - I’m embarrassed to drive with it with others and too frustrated to use it alone. Jerks way too hard when braking and super inconsistent acceleration.

Haven’t read too much about this specific issue. Thoughts from others?
Yes, it used to be much much better. Been like what you describe for almost a year. I used to drive about 80-90% of my daily commute on Autopilot, now it is more like 10-20%. Steering is fine, but breaking and acceleration is very annoying.

Reactions: beachmiles
I'll second the jerkiness, it still saves me a ton of mental energy (and I just ignore people cutting in front of me if I can) but I won't use it in stop and go with passengers, its nausea inducing.

This is using the 'highway stack' in theory, I keep reading its still the old code but when I got my MY in early 2021 the 'highway stack' was much smoother.

Sometimes I find myself in stop and go traffic on the FSD beta stack and anecdotally it seems to be much smoother.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
For me, Autopilot works great in traffic that slows way down and then goes again. It saves a lot of effort.

But when traffic comes to a complete stop before going again, I have to turn it off because it's too slow to get going again. Here in So. Cal., someone cuts into the gap (it seems like) almost every time.
You can press the pedal to accelerate, no need to turn off Autopilot.

Reactions: ajstan and redmunds