Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I was the turning car.

I slowed the car down to 20 manually and it proceed to engage the autopilot in the center of the intersectio
n.

First of all, why were you driving AP in town and taking a turn? I drive through my town in AP but i also disengage before entering an intersection due to the 'unknown' conditions unless i know the light will stay green and I DON'T need to TURN.

My questions is why anyone would take a turn on AP in an intersection? I don't even know if AP understands the process of turning in an intersection?? Does anyone know? I know it knows how to follow the lines going forward but turning? ... that's a whole different ball game.

IMHO the OP has some splaining to do... :rolleyes:

First of all, why were you driving AP in town and taking a turn? I drive through my town in AP but i also disengage before entering an intersection due to the 'unknown' conditions unless i know the light will stay green and I DON'T need to TURN.

My questions is why anyone would take a turn on AP in an intersection? I don't even know if AP understands the process of turning in an intersection?? Does anyone know? I know it knows how to follow the lines going forward but turning? ... that's a whole different ball game.

IMHO the OP has some splaining to do... :rolleyes:

That is the problem that Tesla says they are going to look into. The autopilot had disengaged prior to coming to the intersection (due to the breaks being pressed), the car had recently come off an off-ramp. The question remains to why the autopilot reengaged.

Interesting, are you sure you didn't trigger the right stalk accidentally, when reaching for a blinker press?
Still would love to see those pictures. Even if most folks dont believe you, I accept that the programming of my Tesla is imperfect, so really want to know if there is a safety issue, of if this is a "Loose Nut" issue.

Don't hold your breath.

The attached images are the car as it is sitting in front of my house. I am still waiting for the police to send over pictures from the scene (I didn't take any as I had more important things to tend to).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    831.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Informative
Reactions: bonaire
Interesting, are you sure you didn't trigger the right stalk accidentally, when reaching for a blinker press?
Still would love to see those pictures. Even if most folks dont believe you, I accept that the programming of my Tesla is imperfect, so really want to know if there is a safety issue, of if this is a "Loose Nut" issue.

Thanks for having an open tone. This model’s blinkers are on the other side of the wheel so I don't think that could have been the case.

Looks like from the pictures that you probably didn't hit a air bag sensor hard enough or frontal enough. Could be that the right front suspension took the big hit rather than the bumper. What speed did you hit the tree, and how large was the tree?
The tree was approximately 8 to 12 inches in diameter and the fence hit the whole front.

I'd estimate the speed to be 35 to 40 miles at impact although I swerved the car to avoid a full front collision.

Here's what I think happened, because it happened to me (no accident, I reacted quickly and correctly but it scared the sh!t out of me). I theorize that EAP was turned on and they were following behind a car. Their upper speed limit for EAP was set much higher than what speed they were going because the car they were following behind was going much slower. They disengaged EAP using the break at some point, maybe while going around the turn, but TACC was not disengaged. For whatever reason, maybe because of the turn, TACC no longer sensed the car in front of them and started to increase speed back up to the upper limit that was set when EAP was engaged.

I had this exact same thing happen to me while going around a curve. I was guilty of using EAP in an area I shouldn't have been. I was playing around with the feature because the car was very new to me. When I got to a turn I hit the break because EAP was taking me around it a little too quick. The moment I let off the break (EAP was now off) my car rapidly sped up. I glanced at the screen and quickly realized TACC was still on. Thankfully I was able to break in time and turn sharply because I was soon going around a pretty sharp turn at above 50 mph on a 30 mph road.

This is what I would guess happened to OP.

Thanks for having an open tone. This model’s blinkers are on the other side of the wheel so I don't think that could have been the case.
I have to admit sheepishly that I have triggered TACC accidentally with a single downward push of the AP control stalk, so I know it can happen. Luckily I was stopped with my foot on the brake, if not I would have lurched unexpectedly. You wouldnt be the first to trigger TACC when looking for the wipers either.

The tree was approximately 8 to 12 inches in diameter and the fence hit the whole front.

I'd estimate the speed to be 35 to 40 miles at impact although I swerved the car to avoid a full front collision.
That is impressive if you hit the car at that speed and that's the extent of the damage. From the look of the picture, in a normal car, it would have taken less than 15 mph to do that type of damage and it wouldn't have been severe enough for the airbag to deploy.

Here's what I think happened, because it happened to me (no accident, I reacted quickly and correctly but it scared the sh!t out of me). I theorize that EAP was turned on and they were following behind a car. Their upper speed limit for EAP was set much higher than what speed they were going because the car they were following behind was going much slower. They disengaged EAP using the break at some point, maybe while going around the turn, but TACC was not disengaged. For whatever reason, maybe because of the turn, TACC no longer sensed the car in front of them and started to increase speed back up to the upper limit that was set when EAP was engaged.

I had this exact same thing happen to me while going around a curve. I was guilty of using EAP in an area I shouldn't have been. I was playing around with the feature because the car was very new to me. When I got to a turn I hit the break because EAP was taking me around it a little too quick. The moment I let off the break (EAP was no off) my car rapidly sped up. I glanced at the screen and quickly realized TACC was still on. Thankfully I was able to break in time and turn sharply because I was soon going around a pretty sharp turn at above 50 mph on a 30 mph road.

This is what I would guess happened to OP.

Pressing the brake disables both EAP and TACC. Turning the steering wheel will disable EAP but leaves TACC active.