Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that TACC currently did this even in the AP2 cars.

I have AP2, and TACC goes right down to zero and as the car in front start moving again I move along as well (works really well). I just got a chance this morning to try the Auto Steer, and it worked ok until traffic started to move faster than 70kph. It is just a gimmick at this point with the speed restriction. But I am more annoyed that there is no cruise control available over 120kph, I normally set my cruise at 130, and there is no way to go back to the "old fashion" cruise.

One thing that might help is rebooting the MCU by keeping the two scroll wheels pressed until the screen turns black. I was monitoring my WiFi and didn't notice any downloads going on. After rebooting it, it started downloading data off of Akamai (big CDN). Can't give you any guarantees obviously, but it's worth trying IMO.

Reactions: hillestadk
I want as many safety features that I paid for. I drive my daughter around in this car and I only bought it because of the AP safety features and the fact its an EV. I could've kept my leaf and saved $100k -- at this point they had the exact same safety feature set. I also don't understand why they need to delay the update. Elon said "all cars" and its clearly not the case and Tesla SUCKS at communicating. So we're all left in the dark wondering. Really stupid and frustrating.
It is rolling out, but that takes time. Are you sure you have nothing preventing the download?

No, according to the current release notes it is for use "above 5 mph", and that seems to be just about exactly what it does. When on TACC, you loose the 2nd car ahead at about 5-6 mph, and the car immediately ahead at 2-3 mph, but you're on your own from 5 mph to 0 and back... AutoSteer (which is currently limited to essentially Interstates and less than 45 mph) works all the way to 0 and back...

This IS what they are supposed to be doing per the current (17.3.2) release notes.

I have had TACC go all the way to 0 and then resume on surface streets when following a car. In fact, today on a surface street I had TACC engaged and was approaching a red light with a car stopped in the lane. As soon as I went to disengage TACC to begin slowing down, the car started slowing down on its own. So I just let it go with close supervision, and it completely stopped. I was not expecting that. I had it set to 39 MPH. When the light turned green and the car ahead of me started, my car followed it.

Reactions: SlyWombat
You can drive the car and it will download the update. As long as it has cell signal, you'll get it. Tesla rolls out updates by groups supposedly (per Service Center).

Are you sure about rolling out updates by service center? I'm in Northern NJ, use the Paramus service center, and received the update on Saturday at 4AM. I've seen at least 2 other members including you that presumably use the Paramus SC that haven't received their update yet.

It is rolling out, but that takes time. Are you sure you have nothing preventing the download?

I have wifi in my home (car reads as 2 bars) and I'm able to browse using car's pathetic dated browser and use the streaming music service. I even used my phone and pumped 1.3GB of data to no end. I am on my work's wifi now (same as home but even stronger somehow). There has been no lack of connectivity for the car. It refuses to update. Also I don't see why it should take time -- its in the wild it just needs to download and its had ample opportunity to do so.

If there is something wrong, I can't figure out what and Tesla isn't saying.

No, according to the current release notes it is for use "above 5 mph", and that seems to be just about exactly what it does.

Can you show me where it says that because I don't think it does. I know for Autosteer it says: "In general, you must be traveling at least 18 mph to engage Autosteer. When a vehicle is detected in front of you, you can engage Autosteer if you are traveling at least 5 mph, or if you are already using cruise control." But that is only about turning on Autosteer, it works below that just fine.

I think the TACC portion of the release not isn't very clear it says: "If a vehicle is detected ahead of you, you can use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control when driving at least 5 mph." I think they mean that you can enable TACC when going at least 5 mph, but once it is enabled it works in stop and go traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888
So I just got my Tesla about 3 weeks ago, I didn't get the enhanced autopilot. How would I upgrade? Is that something I need to tell the service center? I don't see any option for doing that online... I actually can see the lines on the road as well as cars superimposed on the road now with the latest emergency braking update even though I don't have any autopilot capability.

Thx!

Been using TACC on HW2 quite a bit since it was released, and for me, it always slows to 0 (full stop), and accelerates once traffic goes again. Just be really careful if you're not following a car and you come up on stopped or very slow traffic compared to your speed - it might not pick anything up in time. But if you're consistently following a far, it seems pretty solid.

No, according to the current release notes it is for use "above 5 mph", and that seems to be just about exactly what it does. When on TACC, you loose the 2nd car ahead at about 5-6 mph, and the car immediately ahead at 2-3 mph, but you're on your own from 5 mph to 0 and back... AutoSteer (which is currently limited to essentially Interstates and less than 45 mph) works all the way to 0 and back...

This IS what they are supposed to be doing per the current (17.3.2) release notes.
I don't see this on my AP2. I used TACC and my car will come to complete stop when the car in front of me stops and then start without any interaction from my side when the front car moves.

The only exception that I have seen is when coming up on a car from far that is already stopped. In that case my car doesn't seem to slow down. But I think that is a known limitation of AP.

So I just got my Tesla about 3 weeks ago, I didn't get the enhanced autopilot. How would I upgrade? Is that something I need to tell the service center? I don't see any option for doing that online... I actually can see the lines on the road as well as cars superimposed on the road now with the latest emergency braking update even though I don't have any autopilot capability.

Thx!
You need to schedule an appt with your service center

• Informative
Reactions: Jacknut16
Setting car lengths to 7 does not seem to work for me. I was right behind a car in stop and go traffic and the setting was set to 7. I am not brace enough to set to 1 and see what happens. Anyone else having this problem?
In AP1 for sure and I'm pretty sure also for AP2, the 1-7 setting is not car lengths. It is the car spacing in time. Tesla does not specify the units and they certainly are not seconds. I always keep it on 7 and estimate it gives 2.5 second spacing at freeway speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Setting car lengths to 7 does not seem to work for me. I was right behind a car in stop and go traffic and the setting was set to 7. I am not brace enough to set to 1 and see what happens. Anyone else having this problem?

It's a time based setting not fixed car lengths. The distance will vary based on your speed and the speed of the car in front of you.

What about a dead stop in traffic? Is it expected to stop right behind car that's not moving?

It's a time based setting not fixed car lengths. The distance will vary based on your speed and the speed of the car in front of you.

Hopefully this indicates that the stopping will be close to the car in front, since the speed is (very!) slow at that point, so the following distance should have collapsed, too.

I have AP2, and TACC goes right down to zero and as the car in front start moving again I move along as well (works really well). I just got a chance this morning to try the Auto Steer, and it worked ok until traffic started to move faster than 70kph. It is just a gimmick at this point with the speed restriction. But I am more annoyed that there is no cruise control available over 120kph, I normally set my cruise at 130, and there is no way to go back to the "old fashion" cruise.

Agreed, TACC and Autosteer will go all the way down to a complete stop and then begin to accelerate again when the traffic in front of you moves. The 5mph restriction is just on engaging TACC in the first place. Once it is engaged, it works fine.

I agree there should at least be regular cruise control up to 90mph like it used to work. Maybe they will raise the TACC limit back to 90mph in a future update. On most of the interstates around here traffic is moving at 80 - 85 mph except in extremely dense traffic.