Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you missed the point of my question.. never mind..

I didn't see a point. I saw a close-ended question, which I answered, and stated why I answered the way I did.

My point being, for some (most?) parts of the country, it's difficult to use autopilot in a AP2 car given the current start of the S/W. Those parts that can be used, under some ever changing and unknown conditions, can at times make the decision to turn it off an easy one.

Hopefully shadow mode is collecting viable information to feed the Mothership with constructive data, but who knows? Perhaps the Shadow knows, but without published documentation, it's not clear to me anyone knows.

Reactions: croman
Anyone who bought this car for auto-pilot as the main reason is going to be frustrated. Or I read some comments comparing it to luxury of MB, which again is not what Tesla is. Tesla is first and foremost an electric car that can go over 200 miles on a single charge. Any other car that does that right now?

I don't think I can buy Bolt in WA yet. Maybe now you can but like Electroman said, Tesla with its range and the super charging network makes it unique. My 75d is the only car I own and I have taken it everywhere. It's really easy to plan a road trip. Not sure how easy it would with Bolt.
Point is that most people did not buy a Tesla simply to go over 200 miles on a single charge. We bought it as a package with many features. Autopilot. Appearance. Supercharger. Maybe these are not "first and foremost" what "Tesla is," but it is still what we paid for. Otherwise we could have gotten a Bolt instead.

Used mine today. Fantastic in 50Mph roadworks, no issues at all.
A shame that you have to hold onto the wheel so often as I'm sure I saw an old Youtube video with AP1 that didn't prompt for around 20 minutes or so!
Hopefully this will change as AP2 develops and becomes more reliable, although the loan AP1 car I had also prompted after a minute or two.

2 minor instances with TACC where the car hesitated for a split second when approaching a bridge - I saw a car appear on my dash for a moment before it figured out there wasn't a car there after all.

Seems to be explained on their blog. Looks like they will have another navigation layer.

Quote:
When the data shows that false braking events would be rare, the car will begin mild braking using radar, even if the camera doesn't notice the object ahead. As the system confidence level rises, the braking force will gradually increase to full strength when it is approximately 99.99% certain of a collision. This may not always prevent a collision entirely, but the impact speed will be dramatically reduced to the point where there are unlikely to be serious injuries to the vehicle occupants.

• Informative
Reactions: Deans and _jal_
Are you saying a car stores the radar signature of every bridge it passed under?

Yes, the signature for every whitelisted item, sign/bridge/etc, will be stored on the car and/or in the cloud. It is probably part of the "tiles" that Tesla manages on their servers and your car downloads as you are in/near them. So your car probably doesn't keep every whitelisted item itself, but gets them from the servers as necessary. (And no I don't know what size of are a "tile" covers.)