Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better question is, assuming what is said is accurate,aassuming what is said is accurate at this late in the game, why is only one camera being used? I thought the software was in beta testing and not initial development/pre-alpha testing.

As a new owner I'm a bit surprised by how some folks here are impressed by Tesla's AP sophistication. My 2014 Audi A6 had excellent lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control, with no upper speed limit, and enough cameras to create a birds-eye view. That car's hardware and software were designed at least 5 years ago. Elon has people who can literally do rocket science. How hard is it to get these basic AP features going?

I realize that design and testing take time, but Tesla was perfectly willing to take my money immediately for features to be delivered in December that are still missing or embryonic. We're paying for their breakup with their former partner, from which they're apparently not recovering well.

As a new owner I'm a bit surprised by how some folks here are impressed by Tesla's AP sophistication. My 2014 Audi A6 had excellent lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control, with no upper speed limit, and enough cameras to create a birds-eye view. That car's hardware and software were designed at least 5 years ago. Elon has people who can literally do rocket science. How hard is it to get these basic AP features going?

I realize that design and testing take time, but Tesla was perfectly willing to take my money immediately for features to be delivered in December that are still missing or embryonic. We're paying for their breakup with their former partner, from which they're apparently not recovering well.

Yep, that summarizes my feelings nicely, except substitute my 2014 Mercedes CLS550 experience for your Audi. TACC (MB calls it "Distronic") was always reliable and usable into the triple-digit speed range. Automated parking ("Parktronic") was perfect, auto lights, brights, and wipers worked properly from Day 1.

The lack of luxury interior appointments in the Model S is entirely on me, as I did drive the car before making my purchase decision. I thought that my being willing to compromise there would pay dividends on the tech side, but thus far that hasn't happened. In fact, my car has spent a total of 19 days in the shop over two visits to address a problem that was ultimately solved by my troubleshooting suggestion. I am not impressed.

At this point, I'm giving Tesla another six months to impress me with reliably implemented features (vs. using me as an unpaid beta tester for half-baked software) before going back to Mercedes. If MB releases an all-electric S-Class Coupe, I'll be all over it; if not, I guess I'll be buying gasoline again for awhile and otherwise enjoying the ownership experience.

Thirded. I was willing to accept the inferior driving dynamics, build quality, creature comforts of the Model S in exchange for revolutionary technology and auto pilot. Without the auto pilot I could've had basically the same benefits of a long-range electric car experience minus the acceleration in a Chevy Bolt.

Reactions: Corsair66
Thirded. I was willing to accept the inferior driving dynamics, build quality, creature comforts of the Model S in exchange for revolutionary technology and auto pilot. Without the auto pilot I could've had basically the same benefits of a long-range electric car experience minus the acceleration in a Chevy Bolt.

Exactly. It's a cheap car being marketed (and priced!) to a segment otherwise out of its league solely on the merits of its technology. Other than not buying gas (which I don't miss - though I'm principally enjoying not thinking about it, rather than any attendant expense), it's been a nearly complete disappointment so far. I'm pretty much waiting for MB's 2018 order window to open this summer and hoping that my Model S makes it that long without having any more extended shop interludes in the meanwhile.

AP1 on Teslas manufactured before Sep 2016(I think) is leagues above anything on the market today. Sure AP2 is still catching up.

Not sure the problem is AP2 "catching up." My concern with Tesla is that they appear to have concealed the fact that, with AP2, they were basically "starting over." They further misrepresented the development status of AP2 by producing a video of a self-driving car that it certainly appears was all but faked. I seriously doubt the car could have driven anywhere other than the Point A to Point B shown in the video.

I think the internet term is "vaporware". Pitch the fantasy to consumers as if it's reality, and then figure out later how to make it all work. The legal term is fraud.

va·por·ware
noun

1. software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

fraud
  1. n. the intentional use of deceit, a trick or some dishonest means to deprive another of his/her/its money, property or a legal right.