Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Todd, when you buy an i3, and you need to take a long drive, the dealer gives you an X5 (for some addtional cost). That is one of solving a nationwide charging network issue. Supercharging is not the only way to solve long distance travel.

At a price range similar to a Tesla or less, with similar range and performance, and with a large infrastructure of fast chargers? No, I don't.

Where's their battery factory? Have any of them demonstrated a battery pack using low cost cells like Tesla uses? Have they started building out a fast charging infrastructure that's at least 120 kW? Do they have their own pack degredation data? Has BMW or Merc demonstrated that they can build a similarly priced vehicle with similar range and performance? The answer to most if not all of these questions is no. it's going to take them more than a few years to catch up with all that.

This in my opinion is a fair assessment of the reason you don't see MB and BMW competing with Tesla directly yet. They simply aren't positioned to do it. I don't think it's because they don't want to do it. But I also think they aren't pushing too fast into the market. Let Tesla do the hard work of convincing people that EVs are viable.

I don't doubt MB and BMW will make a EV for those customers who really want an EV, but it's not going to be competitive with Tesla. They have too much invested in ICE to make it too good such that mainstream luxury ICE buyers prefer it to their ICE lineup. I think preserving the predominance of ICE will be more important to them than making a great EV. Tesla gains by speeding the transition to EV. The legacy companies don't.
I applaud EM for efforts to transform car technology. MB/BMW may or may not have the same level of zealousness in saving humanity. But they will go where their target market, profit, and company mission is. MB is not blind to the EV market evolution. I will gladly pay for the luxury of MB if they have the same range in their BEV in the future. 2.8 seconds acceleration is not my cup of tea. Anything around 5 seconds is adequate for me.

The next challenge (bigger than the EV production itself) is how would Tesla scale up the service center when model 3 comes and demand for service of existing MS ramps up in unison. Service center work load back log is already more than one month for regular service in many metropolitan areas. That is what I am scared of as a current owner.

Amped, I think you put too little weight on the things for which any other luxury cars cannot compete. The instant torque, smooth drivetrain, full charge every morning, lack of oil changes, quiet ride, lack of shifting, increased storage space, low cost per mile, etc...I could go on.
In my mind, and in a lot of people's minds, a "plush" interior and gadgets don't even come close to making up for the fundamental flaws of an ICE drivetrain.
I strongly agree with that point of view. And I am confident that BMW and Mercedes and Porsche and Audi are at least 4 years away from producing a BEV that is competitive with the Model S. Could they build one? Yes. Will they? No, because it would decimate their ICE sales and they lack the vision to see past that obstacle. They also are unwilling to invest in the needed battery manufacturing capability and the high speed charging network necessary to compete with Tesla. They are the walking dead but it will be several years before they realize that, and by then Tesla mist be that much farther ahead of them.

Last edited:
@Todd, when you buy an i3, and you need to take a long drive, the dealer gives you an X5 (for some addtional cost). That is one of solving a nationwide charging network issue. Supercharging is not the only way to solve long distance travel.

My daily commute alone is more than the the i3's range under ideal conditions. Renting an X5 from a dealer on a daily basis doesn't sound like a solution to me. Sounds like a PITA.

They are referring to a program where BMW loans an i3 owner an ICE X5 (SUV) for long distance travel. I've heard of the program but I'm not sure it's even been launched in the US.

Here's an old article on it:
BMW i3 owners will get to use BMW X5 SUVs for longer trips

Corrected my post above, but the program illustrates my point...The i3 is realistically what, about 60 miles of real-world range, not including degredation? That's hardly a long trip at all. Just a few errands can exceed that for many people.

i3's range is more like 90 miles, and it does come in a range extender version too. And in 2 years it would be reasonable to expect 150 mile BEV's from more than one manufacturer.
While Tesla might be at 300 mile range by then, I would think 150 miles is more than enough for most usual driving.
For long distance, probably not. But, there are more than one ways to solve the long distance issue, supercharging isn't the only solution.

I bet in the winter it's not 90 miles...but regardless, IMHO a loaner vehicle from a dealer is not a solution. Well it is, but I don't think it's a very attractive one. So every time I want to drive 90+ miles I have to pay a dealer some nominal fee, coordinate with them to schedule a pickup, drive to the dealer (which in itself may not be conveniently located), leave my car there, and pay for gas on my trip? If they bring the car to you that would be only slightly better. No thanks. That sounds like a solution for a company that's not willing to go all in.

But anyway, I think this thread had something to do with autopilot and some horse that's been beaten to death.

I wonder how you make a statement like this with a straight face. Or have you forgotten that Tesla wouldn't exist if not for Mercedes? Mercedes made an investment at a critical time in Tesla that allowed them to stay in business until the US Government loan was available. Mercedes is selling a vehicle with a Tesla power train. They also have a high end internally developed electric vehicle with independent motors for each wheel. If Mercedes wants to delay EV development and adoption they sure aren't acting like it.

On the BMW front they've said that they expect most of their vehicles will be electric in the near future. They have the i3 right now and the i8 (which is really more of a hybrid). Your argument is a little more reasonable in this case but again I don't think that BMW is showing that they want to make an effort to delay EVs.

Now if you'd said Toyota, Hyundai, et al I'd agree. But you didn't and chose to pick on the two luxury brands that actually are working on EVs.
I didn't say Mercedes was trying to delay EVs in general (or Tesla). I said they would delay their own EVs except as a niche product in order to maintain their much larger legacy ICE business. Just as ecarfan said in a nearby post (1484).

I wonder how you make a statement like this with a straight face. Or have you forgotten that Tesla wouldn't exist if not for Mercedes? Mercedes made an investment at a critical time in Tesla that allowed them to stay in business until the US Government loan was available. Mercedes is selling a vehicle with a Tesla power train. They also have a high end internally developed electric vehicle with independent motors for each wheel. If Mercedes wants to delay EV development and adoption they sure aren't acting like it.
On the BMW front they've said that they expect most of their vehicles will be electric in the near future. They have the i3 right now and the i8 (which is really more of a hybrid). Your argument is a little more reasonable in this case but again I don't think that BMW is showing that they want to make an effort to delay EVs.
Mercedes is doing just barely enough to allow them to say that they have an EV to sell. Baby steps.
BMW has announced that their product line will transition to hybrids, not BEVs. So they are preserving their ICE investment while making their cars more complex and costly to manufacture.
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2015/06/by-2020-all-bmws-will-be-awd-range.html
"The final concept — demonstrated in Nov 2014 with a 500 kw AWD 5-series GT xDrive plug-in hybrid — is similar in basic principle to the series hybrid system that propels the Chevrolet Volt."
That is a big step...BACKWARDS.

I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is anymore... but still no autopilot. lol

Edit: This thread seriously has almost 1500 posts... it's the 4th most replied to thread in the Model S sub-forum. That's crazy....

Last edited:
I wonder how you make a statement like this with a straight face. Or have you forgotten that Tesla wouldn't exist if not for Mercedes? Mercedes made an investment at a critical time in Tesla that allowed them to stay in business until the US Government loan was available...
Don't forget that Toyota made an investment in Tesla and also contracted a Tesla vehicle, but they are the most negative on EVs out of all the major automakers. Obviously Mercedes is not on the same level as Toyota, but it's not a stretch to say they still hugely prioritize ICE and PHEVs over BEVs. BMW is far better, but they are still making at short range EV right now (it remains to be seen if the rumors on the i5 being a PHEV is true).

So has anyone else noticed the three or four different release timelines/estimates/implications given over the last ~week?

First a tweet makes it sound like they're pretty much done. (Couple of weeks optimistically... Mid August?)
Shareholder letter says "later this year" and in the same letter something about Q3'15. (Late September?)
Shareholder conference call Elon says 15th for beta, release 1-2 months after. (Mid September to Mid October?)
The spam email Elon wants everyone to send out says "Coming in a few weeks." (End of August?)

So, as of now basically have timelines ranging from next week to the end of September. :confused:

Serious Tesla, some clarity would be great.

I think the first tweet that said autopilot was almost ready always meant "almost ready to be released to beta" which puts the first three all in a comparable timeframe. The email is bogus, much like misleading language on the website. It probably comes from poor internal communication where someone in marketing confused the "released to beta" with "released to production." We know they are terrible at that kind of internal communication because of the random things you get told by local staff that don't match from one location to another. For instance it is three weeks since a major press conference to announce ludicrous mode and the upgrade to the existing P85D fleet and no one seems to have yet been told when they will actually have the parts to perform the upgrade.

@Todd, don't you think in a couple of years, you'll have EVs from Merc/BMW that will have plush interiors and good tech?

I also just received an email titled "Gift certificate for a Tesla Model S" - which is basically the referral program, but here is an excerpt from it,

----
Coming in a few weeks via an over-the-air update are the highway autosteer and parallel autopark functions. When asked, the car will automatically control steering going down the freeway, dramatically reducing driver workload. It will also automatically parallel park with precision.

In a few months, you will be able to press a button on your Tesla phone app and the car will open your garage and put itself to bed. You will also be able to summon it from your garage if it isn't plugged in. It needs the Tesla Snakebot for that! https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/629305813912326146
----

Me too, sigh. Yet more over-promising. And then the silly snake charger video/tweet. Please, get whatever scarce resources the company can muster working on the things you have already sold. The faster Tesla earns its deferred revenues the better. The need to offer $2000 discounts (nee referrals) suggests perhaps fewer and fewer are being taken in by the D-event/misleading website marketing strategy ... and I for one, would have a hard time making a good faith referral today without A LOT of disclaiming of Tesla marketing propaganda ... "well, yes, you might actually get that some day ...."

It looks impressive. Now, make it a BEV with similar range to an 85, and deploy a high speed DC charging network that is free for life and we'll talk.

Right. This.

I mean, are there really a lot (or any?) people that are going to buy a BMW 7 series over the Model S because it has more advanced self-steering? Are people really like "well, these cars are basically equivalent in every other respect, but the BMW wins because it's more high tech?"

Conversely, are there BMW intenders out there who are otherwise sold on the Model S in every respect but are holding off because the BMW has air conditioned seats?

I mean, I doubt it. And I suppose if there are then the Tesla is a hell of a lot closer to mainstream acceptance than I think it is.

But if these things aren't Tesla's competitive differentiators (and they are so, so not), they should focus their time and money on the things that are--like the EV drivetrain, improving battery capacity, and building out the Supercharger network.

And in fairness to Tesla, maybe they are, which is why autopilot is still vapor ware at this point. But it would be nice if Tesla hadn't promised this feature without being able to deliver.

I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is anymore... but still no autopilot. lol

Edit: This thread seriously has almost 1500 posts... it's the 4th most replied to thread in the Model S sub-forum. That's crazy....

Don't despair. It's thanks to all your valiant efforts that we will likely see Autopilot in September, October or certainly definitely most undoubtedly and assuredly by November at the latest! :tongue:

I'd like to think going forward they will promise what they plan to imminently release but they did announce the Ludicrous update and it seems that has yet to roll out...