Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even a Prius can park itself with a command on the touch screen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHodrpTQtU4

How can it take so long for Tesla to make it happen? Seriously, someone in Tesla cares too much on building up the media hype and the stock price. I foresee there will be lawsuit against Tesla about the lack of Autopilot feature and the claim of "691hp"

BTW I currently own a Sig P85+ and my P85D is on its way to HK...

Be careful though. Don't confuse auto-parking with the existing parking sensors. I'm talking about two different things here. The existing parking sensors as they're implemented won't necessarily go off if the curb stop is out of view of the sensors.

Sorry, I am actually confused. What are the two things we are talking about? Is the existing sonar together with the radar and rear camera used for park assist not going to be the same ones used for auto-parking? The curb stop will be in the view of the front radar and sonar for nose in parking, or rear camera and sonar if back in parking. Why would they not be view during approach? If what you explained earlier (remembering the height of the obstruction from a distance) is implemented by Tesla, why would the park-assist not warn me of the curb as an obstruction? I will find out in my real life experiment using 2x4 studs described earlier. Maybe even post a home video of the experiment?

Even a Prius can park itself with a command on the touch screen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHodrpTQtU4

How can it take so long for Tesla to make it happen? Seriously, someone in Tesla cares too much on building up the media hype and the stock price. I foresee there will be lawsuit against Tesla about the lack of Autopilot feature and the claim of "691hp"

Well let's review for those who have forgotten. Tesla designed and built from the ground up an electric vehicle with significant range. That vehicle also was compelling on metrics such as cargo space, performance, and tech. (Yes, I know you've forgotten that nobody else has an information control center like Tesla. Not even close). They've had to somehow figure out how to get a factory going from scratch, hire people, convince suppliers to take a chance on them, raise money (multiple times), expand to other countries and so on. They had to build galleries, stores, and service centers all around the world and all the while fight powerful entities like NADA. Then just for giggles Tesla is also implementing 'world wide' a long distance FAST (not pretend fast) and free charging infrastructure on their own. They are building a battery factory of the size and likes that no one has seen before. They have designed and will be building PowerPacks and Powerwalls. Then just because they love us so much, they are well on the path to providing us with a much more affordable mass market EV so that we can all have a chance to get off fossil fuel vehicles. So, yeah. So sorry they haven't had 50, 60, 70, or 80 years of experience and time to do everything you think they should have already done. I'm sure you could have done better.

Like yourself, many of us agree that Tesla is a great company with all its current achievements. However, promises that remain unfulfilled for a long time is a sore point to many. Going forward (the favorite phrase of my sale rep), Tesla should manage client's expectation better by giving more realistic announcement. I can see how the CEO, CTO and CFO like to hype features and projections in order to keep Wall street happy, but managing expectation is also important to maintain owners' satisfaction (or at least reduce buyer's post purchase remorse).

The super-charger infrastructure is a must for Tesla or any BEV to be a viable road trip alternative to ICE vehicle. EM is a genius and brave enough to tackle that where no other car manufacturer has done before. It will not be an exaggeration to say that for BEV, Tesla can go from East to West in USA in shortest possible time, and this is all due to the super-charger stations.

Well let's review for those who have forgotten. Tesla designed and built from the ground up an electric vehicle with significant range. That vehicle also was compelling on metrics such as cargo space, performance, and tech. (Yes, I know you've forgotten that nobody else has an information control center like Tesla. Not even close). They've had to somehow figure out how to get a factory going from scratch, hire people, convince suppliers to take a chance on them, raise money (multiple times), expand to other countries and so on. They had to build galleries, stores, and service centers all around the world and all the while fight powerful entities like NADA. Then just for giggles Tesla is also implementing 'world wide' a long distance FAST (not pretend fast) and free charging infrastructure on their own. They are building a battery factory of the size and likes that no one has seen before. They have designed and will be building PowerPacks and Powerwalls. Then just because they love us so much, they are well on the path to providing us with a much more affordable mass market EV so that we can all have a chance to get off fossil fuel vehicles. So, yeah. So sorry they haven't had 50, 60, 70, or 80 years of experience and time to do everything you think they should have already done. I'm sure you could have done better.

I don't see anything about delivering promised features, like Autopilot, in a timely manner in your spiel... which is this thread's topic.

Krugerrand, I think your comment could be equally (and equally wrong in each case) applied to any complaint about Tesla, ever. We all love the Model S. We all think it's a marvel of human engineering. That's utterly besides the point being discussed here, isn't it? If your A/C didn't work, you would complain, you wouldn't say "Well they DID built an electric car, so no air conditioning is reasonable."

I don't see anything about delivering promised features, like Autopilot, in a timely manner in your spiel... which is this thread's topic.

Well, delivering products on Elon's aggressive timelines is not Tesla's strong suit. Which unfortunately causes some customer disatfaction.

However, it is possible to keep this in mind and temper our expectations. Tesla has delivered the future to us today. As Kuggerand points out that is truly remarkable. Starting a new auto company from scratch is remarkable in itself. Best not to take Tesla for granted and assume they could meet all of Elon's targets if they wanted to.

Tesla works hard, and despite setbacks has delivered everything of importance to their mission. The ChadeMo adapter is a good example. They has setbacks, but they kept pressing on. Now we have a ChadeMo option, and at less than half of the expected price.

GSP

Krugerrand, I think your comment could be equally (and equally wrong in each case) applied to any complaint about Tesla, ever. We all love the Model S. We all think it's a marvel of human engineering. That's utterly besides the point being discussed here, isn't it? If your A/C didn't work, you would complain, you wouldn't say "Well they DID built an electric car, so no air conditioning is reasonable."

I don't think it's utterly besides the point particularly if you keep my post in context - as in I was addressing a very specific comment made about hype and stock price (those not thread topics, wk057) versus engineering endeavors. (Thank you, Bonnie, for explaining in post #349.)

In terms of the rest of your post, does not apply. But let's pretend A/C was just that important to me and was in some way just a little bit the same as self-parking/autopilot/whateverfeaturethatallowsmetonothavetodrive (which it isn't in any way, shape, or form), then I simply would not buy a vehicle that didn't have it. It's really that simple. I would not buy the A/C-less vehicle on the company's promise that the feature was coming. Why? Because poo happens, especially when taking everything into consideration that we know about said company in question. That means I have less than zero interest in supporting the autopilot complaints in this thread. (There, I brought it back around to thread topic.)

I would also argue that air conditioning, a feature available in cars since at least the 1960s, is more reasonable to assume than self-parking or autopilot. It's also more essential in some locations.

This is not to excuse Tesla's issues with expectation management - they need to keep working on that. I just take issue with the analogy.

A friend, who knew very little about Tesla, was looking at the official website this morning a few days after having a ride in my P85D. He was looking at the Model S page where it talked about Autopilot. He sent me a message, "I didn't know your car could do all of that stuff!" after a little bit of conversation about this issue that they haven't released it yet he appropriately summarized (quote from memory from phone conversation), "Then they're just doing that on purpose to sell cars. From reading the site it looks like all of the features are available and they're adding more to it all the time, with the latest being automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning. It doesn't say anywhere that I can't get a car with this stuff today! If you hadn't said something, I wouldn't have known. I don't blame you, I would be pissed too."

And that's an interpretation from a pretty educated fellow who has never even been to Tesla's website before, to my knowledge, and has ridden in my P85D once.

So, good to know I'm not the only one with a similar interpretation of Tesla's misleading advertising.

Edit/Update: Just talked to him again. Looks like Tesla lost a potential sale over my pointing out the fact that autopilot wasn't actually available yet, and not Tesla. After riding with me the other day he was seriously considering a Model S as a replacement for an aging ICE vehicle, but said he "[wasn't] going to spend $100k on a car with options that are suspect." We talked a little more, and I gave him the whole "well the car is still pretty awesome" speech, but he made some pretty valid points. "If we hadn't talked and I bought one, went to pick it up, and it couldn't do what the website said it could do then someone would be eating that $100k car because I won't pay for lies." And I thought I might have been being a tad harsh in my thoughts on the issue. lol.

Last edited:
then I simply would not buy a vehicle that didn't have it. It's really that simple.
I did buy a vehicle that had it. It was announced months before my car was built. Why would I assume it wouldn't arrive with the promised features when the car was delivered 6 months later?

- - - Updated - - -

So, good to know I'm not the only one with a similar interpretation of Tesla's misleading advertising.
My friends also think I have AutoPilot already. One of them sent me the Tesla video on AutoPilot a few weeks after I ordered my car and was pretty shocked when I told her (after reading this thread) that we didn't have that feature yet. Her reaction was pretty much "What?! How could they make that video and not put it in your car?"

Again I will reiterate. I love my car, and I love Tesla. I would just love to get an honest ETA on this.

A friend, who knew very little about Tesla, was looking at the official website this morning a few days after having a ride in my P85D. He was looking at the Model S page where it talked about Autopilot. He sent me a message, "I didn't know your car could do all of that stuff!" after a little bit of conversation about this issue that they haven't released it yet he appropriately summarized (quote from memory from phone conversation), "Then they're just doing that on purpose to sell cars. From reading the site it looks like all of the features are available and they're adding more to it all the time, with the latest being automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning. It doesn't say anywhere that I can't get a car with this stuff today! If you hadn't said something, I wouldn't have known. I don't blame you, I would be pissed too."

And that's an interpretation from a pretty educated fellow who has never even been to Tesla's website before, to my knowledge, and has ridden in my P85D once.

I think that's a fair reaction, though the website does indicate (in a somewhat subtle footnote) that those features are to be delivered in a future over-the-air update.

I would urge anyone reading this thread and also attending TMC Connect today to raise this issue (>9-month delay in delivering auto-steer) to the Tesla engineers on the panel. I would love to hear their response and, if possible, a projected delivery timeframe.

Folks, I am new to the party and as eager as anyone but coming from the tech side myself, I'd say the best time to release software, (as id Software made famous) is when it's ready. Especially when 4700+ lbs of metal and fleshy targets IRL (In Real Life) are what are being processed.