Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really???????

My thought as well.

To anyone seeing this now, the above comments refer to an inappropriate post that I expect a number of us reported that I expect has been removed by the mods. (I haven't checked snippiness, but my guess is that this one was just removed.)

I am pointing this out for clarity's sake, so that it doesn't look like those comments are directed at the post that currently appears immediately above theirs.

Edit: Thinking about this more, I don't know when the offensive post was removed, so if it was removed before Krugerrand posted, his post could, in fact, refer to the post there now. I did not intend to speak for Krugerrand. Apologies.

Last edited:
This is Ridiculous

Two questions for these familiar with the matter.

1. If I purchase a Model S with AutoPilot option, what do I go right away and what don't I get?

Adaptive Cruise Control - YES
Automatic High Beam - YES

Active Lane Keeping - NO
Self Parking - NO

Is the above assumption correct?

2. In Canada there is an option to either purchase AutoPilot with the car for CAD$3000 or have it retrofit for $3600 down the road.

If you were to make that choice today, will you give Tesla your $3000+tax (~USD $2600) up front or wait for the final product in case the implementation is crap.

Thanks.

x-wing,
I would have to ask Tesla if the cash is for enabling the existing hardware or retrofitting the hardware to your car later. It is my understanding all MS are built with the hardware so it is likely the enable existing options.

The reason I ask is, if it is for enabling AP functionality on existing hardware, I would have to throw it back in their face with a bit of anger. They are telling you it will be a premium to you to enable something that is not on the car when delivered. That is simply a rude joke.

Now if it is including the hardware as a factory build or later at the Service Center, that would be a much harder call. I tend to prefer factory installed and tested items myself.

x-wing,
I would have to ask Tesla if the cash is for enabling the existing hardware or retrofitting the hardware to your car later. It is my understanding all MS are built with the hardware so it is likely the enable existing options.

The reason I ask is, if it is for enabling AP functionality on existing hardware, I would have to throw it back in their face with a bit of anger. They are telling you it will be a premium to you to enable something that is not on the car when delivered. That is simply a rude joke.

Now if it is including the hardware as a factory build or later at the Service Center, that would be a much harder call. I tend to prefer factory installed and tested items myself.

It was my understanding all cars came with the autopilot hardware, they just charge you $500 extra if you decide to software activate it after delivery.

It was my understanding all cars came with the autopilot hardware, they just charge you $500 extra if you decide to software activate it after delivery.

That is correct. No hardware is changed/installed. It is simply enabled so the $500 is to hypothetically cover the cost of work afterwards to activate it, and presumable a 2nd effect is to get more funds up front in probably one of the biggest cash burning companies ever...

It seems pretty clear to me that the people paying for convenience features of autopilot are subsidizing everyone else getting the hardware. So it make some sense for them to encourage you to buy those features with the car by charging a premium to buy them later.

x-wing,

I did get clarification on that. As correctly stated by other members, the hardware is shipped with the car regardless.

The CAD$3600 after the fact upgrade is software only and includes labor cost. This is a tough one.

A 85D/90D for the time being will serve me well until the Model X is more mature. But given their recent business practices and Elon's rather rude comment on Apple and former Tesla employees, not sure if I really wanna give Tesla my business.

I think it is worse than you think in that all Tesla does is check the box that says AP enable on your car's software profile back at the factory. This will allow OTA updates to your car to include AP functionality. There is no labor in that. I know because I asked the factory to disable active air on my P85+ four months after I took delivery of it when I moved it onto coil springs. They updated my car's profile on the server and clicked the update car's software box and my car updated.

They are literally making you pay extra if you do not buy something today that they should have delivered months ago. It will cost you to wait until they finally deliver.

Does anyone else find this behavior completely unacceptable?

lolachampcar, overall I agree with it. It's sad that you pay a premium to wait for the product to be finished before decided. But I will not that without paying up front, a car is delivered with traditional Cruise Control rather than Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, so at least you are getting something for the $$ you spend upfront while waiting. But yes, it would have been nice for them to offer it for the same price once AP is fully released for 30 or 60 days after releasing.

I wouldn't say I'm vehemently against v7, but I am understand why others are. The main camps seem to be:
1 - reduction of clarity/detail/ease of reading of analog power/regen meter
2 - loss of odometer, date/time, temp, manual trip meter from easy display
3 - anti-flatness in where you lose conveyed information such as whether HVAC is on/off, where you can press to select pause in the media "app", etc.
4 - anti-flatness in general
5 - loss of any of the above to provide a toy-car on non-AP vehicles that will always be the "only car on the road" in the IC
6 - providing a toy-car display that takes up most of the IC at the expense of other info. clarity

For me, 1, 3, and 5 are the biggest concerns, but I will hold out a final opinion until v7 is delivered to the masses. With a classic car, I could be happy staying at 6.2 forever.

So let me get this right, you haven't seen or used an official release of v7 and you have 6 complaints? Am I correct?

It seems pretty clear to me that the people paying for convenience features of autopilot are subsidizing everyone else getting the hardware. So it make some sense for them to encourage you to buy those features with the car by charging a premium to buy them later.

I think its fair, I understand they benefit by having features in the car (resale value, CPO program, etc...) but they are taking a risk by installing it at a loss and having you never pay for it. There is a little "risk cost" built into the $3,000 price versus the upfront cost.

The waters get a bit muddied by the fact that the software didnt actually exist yet...

But assuming the software is released I think its reasonable to charge a bit extra to pre-install the hardware at a loss, and then charge you a bit more if you decide you want it later.