Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I've listened to parts of it, didn't get through the whole thing. I didn't get the same impression you did, but maybe I just didn't listen to enough of it.

From what I understood and would expect: A properly trained algorithm/map database would need several independent entries. Not just 1 person driving over the road and the database to be updated automatically. I could be wrong.

I never made a claim about independence of the entries. He didn't specify if a single driver's data could influence behavior for the fleet.

It is possible that the system will use a single source of human input since that data isn't the primary data source for the autopilot.

If the camera, radar, sonar says everything is good then the system won't reference the human input.

Prior or subsequent trips will lay new track data and could override or confirm the track with human input.

The key concept for the wording I chose was that it has track data from the fleet not just your car. So I said "any car" to give the concept that it didn't have to be just your car. I even threw in the discalimer of "(data as a whole not single cases necessarily)" and somehow you ignored that even though you quoted it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've listened to parts of it, didn't get through the whole thing. I didn't get the same impression you did, but maybe I just didn't listen to enough of it.

From what I understood and would expect: A properly trained algorithm/map database would need several independent entries. Not just 1 person driving over the road and the database to be updated automatically. I could be wrong.

I believe Elon said "statistical data" or something to that effect.

If one crazy guy drives across the median into oncoming traffic, that would be a serious outlier and wouldn't be included...but it would instead follow what was within one standard deviation (for example)...the route that 'normal' drivers would use.

I never made a claim about independence of the entries. He didn't specify if a single driver's data could influence behavior for the fleet.

It is possible that the system will use a single source of human input since that data isn't the primary data source for the autopilot.

If the camera, radar, sonar says everything is good then the system won't reference the human input.

Prior or subsequent trips will lay new track data and could override or confirm the track with human input.

The key concept for the wording I chose was that it has track data from the fleet not just your car.

My bad, I didn't see the parenthetical comment (unless you added it later).

If it has prior human input from ANY car on the network it will use that (data as a whole not single cases necessarily).

- - - Updated - - -

If one crazy guy drives across the median into oncoming traffic, that would be a serious outlier and wouldn't be included...but it would instead follow what was within one standard deviation (for example)...the route that 'normal' drivers would use.

That would make complete sense.

You need more than 1 datapoint to have a standard deviation greater than 0 ;).

My bad, I didn't see the parenthetical comment (unless you added it later).

That would make complete sense.

You need more than 1 datapoint to have a standard deviation greater than 0 ;).

It wasn't in the post when I first hit submit but it was there before you hit reply. So I edited the post between the time you read it and hit reply and somehow you didn't notice it while bolding the portion right next to it. :eek::redface::smile:

anyway we don't know how heavily weighted a single entry is but I'd submit that every trip counts no matter if the car is driving or the end user and I'm assuming both are weighted similarly. So there aren't likely to be many places with only one entry.

If you are driving somewhere that only one car has gone before you probably need to be controlling the car or be darn ready to do so. :biggrin:

Has there been any discussion about the lack of "active lane assist" vs autopilot?

Autopilot is great... but I thought we were also expecting "active lane assist", in your normal day to day driving, if you drift out of lane, it will steer you back. It seems we still have the buzzing alert, but no active correction.

Has there been any discussion about the lack of "active lane assist" vs autopilot?

Autopilot is great... but I thought we were also expecting "active lane assist", in your normal day to day driving, if you drift out of lane, it will steer you back. It seems we still have the buzzing alert, but no active correction.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe that what you are describing was ever promised.

Well that is a bit extreme, but there is a Boston tradition of long standing of driving on sidewalks and medians if the car traffic is too heavy and there aren't any sign posts in the median. I've once saw a driver in Kenmore Sq go down the median strip then run a light at the end, it did my heart proud!

Well that is a bit extreme, but there is a Boston tradition of long standing of driving on sidewalks and medians if the car traffic is too heavy and there aren't any sign posts in the median. I've once saw a driver in Kenmore Sq go down the median strip then run a light at the end, it did my heart proud!

That would do a lot to my heart, but pride wouldn't be it! ;)

Was it this guy? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure this thread is 100% valid. Autopilot auto steer was released TEN MONTHS after I took delivery of my P85D, and OVER A YEAR after announcing it with the "few months" and "several months" terms tagged to its release. They had employees expressing "before summer for sure" and other such time lines, and they've been advertising the features on their website as if the features were already available the entire time!

Just because they've finally released a version of the software ridiculously late doesn't mean that the people critical of this need to be silenced. While I'm happy the feature is finally out, I'm still pretty pissed about it.

Just because they've finally released a version of the software ridiculously late doesn't mean that the people critical of this need to be silenced. While I'm happy the feature is finally out, I'm still pretty pissed about it.

And yet it has now been released to mostly wide acclaim so what exactly is the purpose of going on about its lateness? It took longer than Tesla expected. We get it. It was late.

On the bright side of things, Tesla will be late with the release of some other feature in the very near future and we can do this all over again.

And yet it has now been released to mostly wide acclaim so what exactly is the purpose of going on about its lateness? It took longer than Tesla expected. We get it. It was late.

On the bright side of things, Tesla will be late with the release of some other feature in the very near future and we can do this all over again.

I'll cross post my thoughts on this from the Firmware 7.0 thread:

I'm admittedly still disappointed and irritated that they advertised this feature as if it were basically done and ready over a year ago and that this factored into my purchase decision. It's cool, and works OK, but it doesn't "wow" me enough to justify last year's deception on it. I was hoping it would. I think this is what they should have already had ready to go when and released when they announced it, and a year from then we'd have vastly improved performance, but would have at least had the feature to use when we got our cars. It's been handled very poorly from a marketing and customer service perspective.

At this point, at the very least, Tesla should start the warranty counters on the auto steer related hardware as of Thursday and not as of delivery. I personally got no use out of this hardware for a full 1/3rd of my factory warranty, yet if it breaks at 51k miles I'm technically SOL, even though I've only had use of it for ~35k of those miles. Seems like it'd be the right thing for Tesla to do on this matter. Would probably be a grand gesture if they simply included all autopilot hardware, but I'm not holding my breath on either.