Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot....meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love AP in that I can use it during sections of a drive that are just going to be frustrating(read bumper to bumper traffic) or boring(well, I imagine I'll love this once AP2 is allowed to use it at full freeway speeds). I can, and do, drive myself any time that it's enjoyable to do so and switch to AP for when it isn't.

I love AP1, use it 99% of the time I drive. I don't use it because it is safer and I don't use it because it is easier, I use it because I think it is cool. I like the technology. I like how every month the car was updated which made the technology better. Now it is very good and I find it addicting. I miss it when I have to drive another vehicle. I was excited when I saw the October video of the Tesla with AP2 self driving and I wanted the new one. I ordered a new Tesla model S with AP2 and it arrived a few weeks ago. Definitely not the same. I've been using it when I can but it is too slow to use on most roads in my area. I am hopeful that it will catch up over the next few months and get better in the future. Luckily I kept my older Tesla with AP1 and can drive it while Tesla gets AP2 to work correctly.

I agree with the OP. I was excited to get AP, and it's worked fairly well, but only in specific instances.
Bumper to bumper grid lock is the main place I use it and the biggest benefit.

At interstate speeds it does ok, but I've had it veer too close to trucks, just about run off the road (I intervened, so not sure if it would have kept going), jam on the brakes when it shouldn't have, etc...

On divided highways, under 55mph it doesn't do well at all.

Some of my issues are intermittent, one day it does fantastic, the next it's terrible, then back to great... My initial impression was very good, I used it probably 90% of the way from Atlanta to Charlotte with very few issues, but it seems to have gotten worse over time.

Now, the TACC is a must have. Only issues I've had with it is the occasional jamming on the brakes when it didn't need to, and it seems like the following speed has increased with updates. I was originally on 2 sometimes 3, now it seems like 1 isn't even close enough. Too much gap and people constantly jump in front of you around here...

Until the AP gets a whole lot better everywhere I could take it or leave it...

If you don't get AP, do you still get blind spot warnings and automatic front collision avoidance? I'd love those things, but not sure AP is worth the $.

you get blind spot, early collision warning, and auto-dimming, but you don't get (obviously) any of the self-driving features, lane change, adaptive cruise control, or, most importantly, the Rainbow Road Easter Egg.

First, I promise I am not a troll. I have owned two Model S since 2013. Love the company and my car.

I am curious though....am I the only one out there that could take or leave the autopilot feature? I get that it's a technological feat...but I have it and I rarely if ever use it. I'd just rather drive the car myself. Is there anyone else out that that could really care less about autopilot?

I love it... I use it 99%+ of the time when I'm highway/freeway driving. I don't really use it off the highway/freeway but man I couldn't go back to a car without it... I find it to be extremely reliable and consistent on the roads I drive on. Very rarely now does it do something that makes me scratch my head, it's become that good...

Came back from Tahoe this weekend in a snow storm so I wasn't using it then but when the roads cleared up I had to wait like 15 miles for the ice to thaw off the radar sensor and for the system to let me use AP and that was a loooonnngggg 15 miles to actually have to drive the car all by myself... So yeah, I'm spoiled and as I said before, will never buy another car without it...

Jeff

I cannot WAIT for full Auto-steer to come out on freeways. It gives me absolutely no joy to drive on a multi-lane free way at or below speed. Its tedious, monotonous and honestly I'd prefer to relax and save my energy for when I get to the destination and not get tired by the time I get there.

Some of the fun highways, I'd love to drive myself. Almost never going to engage AP in such fun roads.

However inside the city is where its questionable. AP doesn't see signals, so cant really use it unless you are always behind someone. There are too many lane variations, missing markers, width changes, drifts, sudden lane jumps (right only, left only etc) and random incidents that I don't really think we can rely on AP anytime soon. When eventually FSD does come, then sure, but by then who knows what else would have changed.

Yep...that stuff is standard - safety features. So, if you don't get AP...you don't lose much at all other than the ability to have the car drive itself. But, the hardware is there and a new owner could always activate it.
If you don't get AP then you don't get TACC. That's the main reason I ordered the car with AP. Funny thing, last night I was driving on the freeway with my 14 yr old, and I say I don't really get what's so great about autopilot. The TACC is awesome, but how hard is it to steer, you have to pay attention anyway. I don't see how it could be safer. A couple of minutes later I'm distracted by an album cover on the touchscreen and I start to drive out of my lane over the bumps. I veer back into my lane and my daughter says, "maybe that's why it's safer?" Then I say "oh yeah I think I get it now." I turned on autopilot and started paying better attention. It's a driver assistance feature, not a half baked autonomous driving feature. People need to keep that in mind. Well, maybe AP2 is a little bit of a half baked driver assistance feature, but it's getting there. I've had an AP1 loaner I've been getting to play with for the last week.

Looking back at these threads 50 years from now, when driving a car will be like it now is with riding a horse -- you will have to go to certain limited places where it's allowed -- as opposed to many years ago when horses were allowed on most roads -- our kids' kids, etc. will say: "really, you were allowed to drive yourself on a highway? -- that would be fun!"

As they say, be careful what we wish for -- it may come true. This one certainly will.

First, I promise I am not a troll. I have owned two Model S since 2013. Love the company and my car.

I am curious though....am I the only one out there that could take or leave the autopilot feature? I get that it's a technological feat...but I have it and I rarely if ever use it. I'd just rather drive the car myself. Is there anyone else out that that could really care less about autopilot?
My right leg is killing me on longer routes.
After 2h I'm done with the "fun" part of the driving.

P.S.
/GN nitpick
could NOT care less (if you don't care at all) / could NOT agree more (if you agree completely)

Reactions: Max*
My left leg is killing me on longer routes.

What do you do with your left leg on AP that is different when not on AP? Do you lie down in the back... ;)

Edit: I see you're from Europe so right hand drive - got it! I drove all around Australia/NZ like that... strange... but I quickly got used to it, and to appreciate how great all the roundabouts are.

Last edited:
I consider AP1 to be like a very capable cruise control. I can't drive on highways anymore without cruise control, and it's rapidly becoming that way with AP1.

Figuring out how to avoid nags was a big revelation for me. Before that, I really didn't care for it much, because I had to watch the dash to see if I needed to move the steering wheel to keep AP happy. Now I just drive, watching the road ahead, and don't even look at the dash. If I have to change a sound system setting or scratch myself, I do it and go back to watching the things that AP doesn't look for.

I feel like a part of a driving team -- AP does what it is good at, and I do what I'm good at.

My right leg is killing me on longer routes.

P.S.
/GN nitpick
could NOT care less (if you don't care at all) / could NOT agree more (if you agree completely)
Save your nipick for another forum. I think it's fairly safe to assume we all know the difference. I don't take the time to proofread my posts....

I live in MA and agree AP isn't great in Boston but find it indispensable on long highway trips and awesome in traffic jams/stop n'go traffic.

Frankly, if most of my driving was "around town" I'd probably opt out of AP but it's the best thing ever for long highway drives(just drove a 2700 mile trip using AP1 99% of the time).