Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nag gone??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s very easy. But honestly it’s more of a hassle than just….keeping your hand on the wheel.
I’d love to see it done without any nags. It’s certainly easy to say it is easy!

I’ve never seen anyone able to drive without nags even if they keep their hands on the wheel and apply torque (this is what I do), which is why I think using one’s knee would not improve on that result.

But maybe there is some technique I am missing - would love to know what it is!

Nags are not really an issue (they are not that frequent) but it is annoying to have to wiggle the wheel every now and then, even when you’ve been torquing the wheel in a natural (or unnatural - it does not matter) way, and you have been 100% attentive on the road.

And we know when the car is very uncertain it immediately warns (different with beep). I don’t know whether we see that behavior in these videos or not (I don’t bother watching them).

Reactions: gtae07 and gtg465x
The knee claims don’t make sense because even if you torque the wheel and watch the road you still get nags. Also I would like to see someone (anyone!) demonstrate in a video how they defeat nags with knee torque, lol.
I suspect that there's a secret setting that disables nags for certain "special" cars. I'm thinking that Elon does not get nags. Maybe there's a secret service mode with settings we can only dream of. Or, maybe you root the car and edit the /etc/tesla.conf file?

I’d love to see it done without any nags. It’s certainly easy to say it is easy!

I’ve never seen anyone able to drive without nags even if they keep their hands on the wheel and apply torque (this is what I do), which is why I think using one’s knee would not improve on that result.

Nags are not really an issue (they are not that frequent) but it is annoying to have to wiggle the wheel every now and then, even when you’ve been torquing the wheel in a natural (or unnatural - it does not matter) way, and you have been 100% attentive on the road.

And we know when the car is very uncertain it immediately warns (different with beep). I don’t know whether we see that behavior in these videos or not (I don’t bother watching them).
It’s not so much bumping it with your knee as it is swaying your knee left to right creating a periodic left torque to the wheel. Have done it before while eating. Set knee so it just barely grazes the steering wheel and sway side to side raising slightly every 10-15 seconds.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It’s not so much bumping it with your knee as it is swaying your knee left to right creating a periodic left torque to the wheel. Have done it before while eating. Set knee so it just barely grazes the steering wheel and sway side to side raising slightly every 10-15 seconds.
I’d like to see someone do that and not get a nag for 30 minutes or whatever.

And not disengage, lol. People are very dexterous with their knees I guess?

Reactions: gtg465x
I wouldn’t consider 3 minutes as evidence for anything. Just having one front tire 3 psi low will create a drift pull which would do the same. Nag is not off.
My driver's side front tire had a slow leak for over a year but never was that a nag beater.........no matter how low that pressure was. Do you speculate that poor alignment also cheats the nag?

Reactions: gtg465x

You must be lacking in your technique then, haha. I think it is actually a bit easier to maintain no nag on surface streets though because of more normal steering wheel movement due to changing road curvatures.

And knee torque on a highway is not that hard to maintain...surface roads is different, haha.

One thing I've noticed as a difference between 2018 and 2023 model 3s that I've driven, the steering wheel's torque sensor seems much more sensitive on the newer cars, so a light touch is more than enough, where the older one needs a significantly harder press (which tends to be hard for some drivers to differentiate from a tug that disengages autopilot, frustratingly). That might be part of the difference you're observing, anyway?

A little over a year ago, I had almost a whole day without a nag. Was back the following day. It has happened 2 times after this, but then only for a short time interval like 4-5 minutes. For natural reasons it was not reported to Tesla….

We've talked about this before, but it needs to be variable tension. I keep my hand on the wheel, but move it every few min. I've mimicked what Whole Mars does with his left knee and can get the same results, which I use when I'm eating something, but I hardly ever see the white, then blue flashing nag. I've driven from SC to Washington DC or SC to Miami Florida without a single noticed nag. I typically look straight ahead, so maybe I've missed some, but it's not ever been the case where I need to do anything special to satisfy on either my 2021 MY or my 2022 MSLR. The Yoke make this exponentially easier with both my hand...on on the arm rest with 2 fingers on the yoke or with my left knee moving from left to right to apply the tension.

Obviously I wish there wasn't a need to keep my hand/knee on the wheel, but it's to the point where it's not a bother.

edit: I've also timed the nag on each update. With 2022.44.30.10 the most I can go without a hand on the wheel is 100 seconds, looking straight ahead, but only 45 seconds on 2022.45.11.

Reactions: Yelobird
but I hardly ever see the white, then blue flashing nag.
Exactly!

Therein lies the mystery.

Minimal nags is super easy. But that is not good enough.

It’s just really hard to explain.

And obviously the knee is not the answer! Because it does not explain!!!

Nags aren’t an issue of course - I don’t think anyone would take issue with that. But they happen, of course.

Not hearing from anyone here that they don’t see nags! That would be super surprising. And I’d definitely want to see a video.

My driver's side front tire had a slow leak for over a year but never was that a nag beater.........no matter how low that pressure was. Do you speculate that poor alignment also cheats the nag?
No science proof but yes I do. Anything that causes the car to drift left or right requiring the cameras correct path have the same result as tugging the wheel. If the system is correcting I believe it assumes it’s due to the driver. Also speculate that a miss adjustment in the service menu steering might be reason some have less frequent nags. Again, few will eliminate the nag but several conditions seem to minimize it drastically depending on the road condition.

No science proof but yes I do. Anything that causes the car to drift left or right requiring the cameras correct path have the same result as tugging the wheel. If the system is correcting I believe it assumes it’s due to the driver. Also speculate that a miss adjustment in the service menu steering might be reason some have less frequent nags. Again, few will eliminate the nag but several conditions seem to minimize it drastically depending on the road condition.
I don't believe this theory... Are you saying that if I lower the tire pressure in one of my front tires enough to cause a reasonable drift, that I will not get nags? Hey I could be wrong but I don't buy into that theory. And how is the car drifting to one side any different than the road curving? They are visually the same thing. The only difference would be in the planning aspect as a curve in the road is generally perceived farther out than the "curve" caused by drift.

Maybe I can test this one, though even if your theory is correct, I don't think 3psi would be enough.

Reactions: PACEMD
I don't believe this theory... Are you saying that if I lower the tire pressure in one of my front tires enough to cause a reasonable drift, that I will not get nags? Hey I could be wrong but I don't buy into that theory. And how is the car drifting to one side any different than the road curving? They are visually the same thing. The only difference would be in the planning aspect as a curve in the road is generally perceived farther out than the "curve" caused by drift.

Maybe I can test this one, though even if your theory is correct, I don't think 3psi would be enough.
As noted no science and just a theory. Briefly looking at the steering meter in the advanced service meter it does appear to be monitoring turn angle so any deviation to that angle it assumes needs to be corrected but again just a theory. Test at your discretion and safety.

There was another member that never had nags until recent updates and FSD is giving an error that a wheel weight is detected. So there's something weird going on with the steering wheel and is putting a constant torque on the wheel to bypass the nag. I believe the owner submitted a service request to get it fixed because the car is now thinking he has a wheel weight.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and Dewg
There was another member that never had nags until recent updates and FSD is giving an error that a wheel weight is detected. So there's something weird going on with the steering wheel and is putting a constant torque on the wheel to bypass the nag. I believe the owner submitted a service request to get it fixed because the car is now thinking he has a wheel weight.
^^ This. It's a hardware problem. Open a ticket and get it sorted.

Right, but that would be a nag.

Anyway, looks like everyone gets nags (except Whole Mars I guess). Seems like the OP is no exception.