Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved before you (4/1/16) and also configured 6/27/18 with the exact specs as yours. I still have an edit button (trade-in is pending, all other areas are checked green). I'm in the northeast, too. Wonder if you get a vin and delivery before me?

UPDATE: I received a call from Tesla (Las Vegas number) this morning letting me know that I'm scheduled for delivery in a few weeks. They also emailed me my vin (66,0xx) !

MSM, AWD (non-P), black seats, aeros, EAP

Here's another interesting view (column BT in the sheet) I came up with - for those wondering how their location is affecting how quickly they get a VIN:

View attachment 326200

The locations with the highest response rate are:
  1. DC, Hawaii and "Other" are all 100% fulfilled (but they only have 1 order each, so not statistically significant)
  2. New Jersey is next with 43.3% of 30 orders either with a VIN or a delivery date (I guess it's not only West Coast getting responses!)
  3. Ohio with 6 of 14 (42.9%)
  4. Virginia at 40.9% (9 of 22)
The locations with the poorest response are:
  1. ALL OF CANADA with zero responses for 36 orders. I'm not bitter. No, not at all.
  2. Texas. Texas has no VINs or delivery dates recorded for 30 orders. No love for Texas?
The benchmark of course is California, which has 33 of 146 orders, or 22.6%.

I updated the sheet for my Texas order, delivery is set for August 24th.

Now it is official: I have been stagnant for five weeks in the process for unknown reasons. They're supposed to call me back within 24 hours.

Now that is most unfortunate for you. I wonder how many other people might be stagnant, but at the same time I wouldn't suggest people hammer their ISA/DS agents because they're hammered enough already. If you are a day 1 reservation, configured before july 1st, and live in California though with no update I'd definitely consider following up to see if your position was stuck.

Here's another interesting view (column BT in the sheet) I came up with ...
Other interesting things in the raw data:

For AWD only:
29.2% (47/161) of 3/31/16 reservations have VINs
9.2% (12/131) of 4/1-2/16 reservations have VINs
0.9% (1/114) of the rest of 2016 reservations have VINs
1.0% (1/97) of 2017 reservations have VINs
0.7% (1/146) of 2018 reservations have VINs

It is interesting that there are more 4/1 and 4/2 reservations than the entire rest of 2016. My guess is that we start to see rapid filling out of the 3/31 reservations (edit: next) week, with 4/1-2 starting to ramp as well, and no real movement on the rest of 2016 until the 3/31s are largely done.

Last edited:

For AWD only:

It is interesting that there are more 4/1 and 4/2 reservations than the entire rest of 2016. My guess is that we start to see rapid filling out of the 3/31 reservations (edit: next) week, with 4/1-2 starting to ramp as well, and no real movement on the rest of 2016 until the 3/31s are largely done.

My VIN came in a few days ago with a 4/9 reservation. I think it's largely related to your config (popular vs unpopular config)

For AWD only:

It is interesting that there are more 4/1 and 4/2 reservations than the entire rest of 2016. My guess is that we start to see rapid filling out of the 3/31 reservations this week, with 4/1-2 starting to ramp as well, and no real movement on the rest of 2016 until the 3/31s are largely done.

Yup - see column BK on the Summaries tab for almost this info. I took your suggestion, @tentimesodds, and updated to separate 2016 into 3 periods:

upload_2018-8-16_15-14-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-16_14-57-27.png
    upload_2018-8-16_14-57-27.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 41
UPDATE: VIN Assigned: 8/16/18 (705xx)

(I've updated both Google tracking sheets I'm aware of...)

Config: AWD (NON-P), OBM, EAP, Aero, Black Interior

• Reserved: 3/31/16 (In-Store PST AM) (Non-Owner)
  • Invited: 4/10/18
  • Configured: 7/12/18
  • Edit #1: 7/23/2018 (Changed to White Interior)
  • Edit #2: 7/24/2018 (Changed back to Black Interior)
  • Lost Edit Button: Between 8/10/18 and 8/13/18
  • Applied for Loan: 8/13/18 (Late Night)
  • Loan Approval: 8/14/18 (Early Morning)
  • Email from IDA: 8/14/18 (Afternoon)
  • Scheduled Delivery w/IDA: 8/15/18
  • VIN Assigned: NA
  • Delivery Scheduled for: 8/24/18

Well, I received that promised call back in short order. From Las Vegas area. It was an unsatisfying "customer service" experiences (except for the fact that the promised call came quickly).

I am not at all convinced that the "corporate sales" guy who called me back to clear things up had any more knowledge than I did. In fact, it is pretty clear that he had much less.

1. After the initial CS person made clear to me that something was amiss with my order, this guy said that my order was fine and perfectly on track, and that it always takes at 6-8 weeks from order to having VIN assigned. (For those who are keeping score at home, I'm at seven weeks and two days, so right there in the pocket of "don't worry about it"). Yet... how does this account for the many owners who have already taken delivery of their identically-configured cars... and who ordered after I did?).

2. He went on and on with his demonstration of inside knowledge (telling me that the cars are painted in batches, and even the wheel type is batched, that delivery location plays into it etc... all stuff I'm aware of). He spent zero time answering any of my (few and concise, and pleasantly asked) questions. Did I mention that he went on and on with info that I wasn't asking for? He did. And on. Seemed to have nothing else to do with his time, and also made it seem that I was calling to hear about how Tesla batches the cars.

3. After standing in line to reserve, then configuring and confirming my cash purchase of AWD as soon as possible (and I might add without Tesla every notifying me that AWD was available for me to order) my main question was: How is it that cars configured to my exact specification have already been delivered to people who live in my town... and to many others who live on the other side of the country? In many cases, they reserved AND ordered after I did. These folks weren't just assigned a VIN (though now it seems that many, many more have also been assigned a VIN who have ordered after me), these cars have been actually delivered. In response, he repeated item #2 above. And here's the whopper: He went on to say that probably some of those new owners had ordered the "basic configuration" of the car, and that those "basic configurations" were shipping before the ones with all the options.

At that point it was clearly just a waste of my time to explain that the only more basic configuration that is currently available for my car would be black paint instead of blue, and no EAP. Unless he meant RWD? Nah... he actually mentioned interior choice and battery size. He kept talking about all the "options" and I was half expecting him to say that the automatic transmission took longer to make than the manual trans. Of course we're talking about AWD cars with the SAME configuration as mine. And AWD is a different order than RWD. So I held my tongue. He went on to impress upon me that my car is being built just for me, to my exact specifications, so this isn't like choosing a car off the lot the way we used to do it. I had no indication that was was familiar with what a Model 3 even was. He kept referring to "Teslas" as a generic car.

He then cautioned me against changing anything in my order (after having told him that I haven't been allowed to change anything in six weeks!). He said if I changed anything, I would go clear back to the "end of the line."

In the end he said that the *reasons* he knows that everything is fine with my order are:

1. It hasn't been eight weeks yet, so hearing about my order is expected and normal.
2. My delivery window of Sept-Nov hasn't even opened yet, so it would be silly to expect the car before that.

Yeah. So I was cheery and pleasant. Thanked him for making the call, and assuring me that all was fine with my order. Just because I sound all bitchy in this post, please don't assume that I was a butt-head on the call. I wasn't.

But man. 100% unsatisfying. Wouldn't it be great if somebody could tell me "if you just changed to white, and took delivery at Rocklin, we could assign you a VIN right now!" Or I don't know... told me ANYTHING about my order made almost two months ago?

But man. 100% unsatisfying. Wouldn't it be great if somebody could tell me "if you just changed to white, and took delivery at Rocklin, we could assign you a VIN right now!" Or I don't know... told me ANYTHING about my order made almost two months ago?

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I'd say he's right except for the fact that in the last 2 days 5 folks with same configuration have input VINS into Troy's spreadsheet. You should have a VIN. So surprised they didn't say you have one yet. If only they could have said you have an ISA or something, then you could at least talk to someone else. Keep us appraised of your situation! Fingers crossed you'll hear something soon!

4/3/16 res
6/30/18 config

Haven't heard anything yet; the wait is excruciating! I called Tesla's line and the rep said based on the dates he would expect that I get a call within the next 1-2 weeks (that was on Friday). Given the dates of folks getting their calls above, is that a safe assumption?

Non-P AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels.

4/3/16 res
6/30/18 config

Haven't heard anything yet; the wait is excruciating! I called Tesla's line and the rep said based on the dates he would expect that I get a call within the next 1-2 weeks (that was on Friday). Given the dates of folks getting their calls above, is that a safe assumption?

Non-P AWD, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels.
You reserved and configured after I did, so you should expect your car to be delivered at least before I get a VIN assigned. :sigh: