Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I was told when I called to ask that you cannot add FSD anymore once a VIN is assigned. I know you were all up in arms about me post it before (knight) but that's the line that they're taking. You maybe could escalate it and get your way but the policy in place is that they want you to edit the config before VIN regardless if the hardware is there and it's just a software switch. Doesn't really matter why. That's what they're telling the world when we call.
They called me yesterday to tell me my car is getting ready for transit and I asked about FSD. They said they would be happy to add it now.

Took delivery today! Other than a small overspray on the paint, the car appears to be close enough to perfect to pass my 1 day judgement.
I couldn’t get my app to work and nobody could figure out why. Turns out, after filling out the paperwork, I walked out there and filled up the wrong white car!
Anyway I hit the pedal on the way out and instantly though, “hmm that felt like RWD. Spent the next 6 miles figuring out where the vin is on the screen and quickly realized I was driving a RWD with the wrong VIN. WOW. Anyway, I took it back, got it sorted out, then drove the 50 mile 2 hour journey back home. Trip got WAY better when the cameras were done calibrating and autopilot worked. Had another 100 miles to drive tonight.
Car had me with 5% remaining at destination (car was at half charge when picked up). In my Rav4 EV that would be a large percentage of battery left. But being new to the car I stopped at the Manteca supercharger. It took like 5 minutes max to fill up 45 miles. Some dude in a fancy pickup wanted a race off the line near home, that was a joke.
Car is happily charging on 32amps now and I have it set to fill to about 80%. Look forward to day 2! Really happy so far

Took delivery today! Other than a small overspray on the paint, the car appears to be close enough to perfect to pass my 1 day judgement.
I couldn’t get my app to work and nobody could figure out why. Turns out, after filling out the paperwork, I walked out there and filled up the wrong white car!
Anyway I hit the pedal on the way out and instantly though, “hmm that felt like RWD. Spent the next 6 miles figuring out where the vin is on the screen and quickly realized I was driving a RWD with the wrong VIN. WOW. Anyway, I took it back, got it sorted out, then drove the 50 mile 2 hour journey back home. Trip got WAY better when the cameras were done calibrating and autopilot worked. Had another 100 miles to drive tonight.
Car had me with 5% remaining at destination (car was at half charge when picked up). In my Rav4 EV that would be a large percentage of battery left. But being new to the car I stopped at the Manteca supercharger. It took like 5 minutes max to fill up 45 miles. Some dude in a fancy pickup wanted a race off the line near home, that was a joke.
Car is happily charging on 32amps now and I have it set to fill to about 80%. Look forward to day 2! Really happy so far

Congrats! Can I ask what's your configuration and res/order date? In the Bay Area, this brings me hope (except I want white interior + 19s)

Awesome. Congrats. What is the seat of your pants telling you? Is the AWD punchy enough off the line for you? Do you have any comparisons for us?

Please and do tell all.

Thank you!

Seat-of-my-pants has been extremely positive. My better-half called it basically a "souped-up electric golf cart" so in the interim, I've named my Model 3 "Electric Golf Cart."

AWD is definitely punchy off the line, least for me!

As for comparisons, this is my first EV, and my frame of reference though is definitely not as experienced as many of you guys here on the board. I've never really owned what would be considered a "fast" car. I mainly commute daily, in grid-lock traffic, and travel long distances. So for my personal tastes, I'm definitely more on the side of "creature comforts" than something "sporty & zippy."

However, that being said, the Model 3 to me is one piece of amazing technology. Flaws and all. It may not be perfect especially when it comes to fit & finish, but between my two ICE vehicles I still own (Lexus IS250 AWD & Lexus GX470), will probably save me about $500/month in petrol costs alone, conservatively. You can imagine my carbon footprint before and after. (I drive... a LOT.) And the IS250 actually gets pretty decent mileage on highway/freeway speeds.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Seat-of-my-pants has been extremely positive. My better-half called it basically a "souped-up electric golf cart" so in the interim, I've named my Model 3 "Electric Golf Cart."

AWD is definitely punchy off the line, least for me!

As for comparisons, this is my first EV, and my frame of reference though is definitely not as experienced as many of you guys here on the board. I've never really owned what would be considered a "fast" car. I mainly commute daily, in grid-lock traffic, and travel long distances. So for my personal tastes, I'm definitely more on the side of "creature comforts" than something "sporty & zippy."

However, that being said, the Model 3 to me is one piece of amazing technology. Flaws and all. It may not be perfect especially when it comes to fit & finish, but between my two ICE vehicles I still (Lexus IS250 AWD & Lexus GX470), will probably save me about $500/month in petrol costs alone. You can imagine my carbon footprint before and after. (I drive... a LOT.)
Thanks!

I have two Land Cruisers, and yes, if you do the miles, you’ll save big compared to your GX470. With our model S, we’ve saved about $13K in 30 months.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Kermee
How did people with reservations in April order before they opened up ordering to everyone? I reserved 4/1 but never got an email to order until they opened it to everyone. But I've seen multiple people say they ordered before it was open to everyone when their reservations were well after mine. What am I missing?

I am a 4/1 res holder early morning EST. I actually got an email just before the floodgates opened.

u
Is that point in time, when you created it or as of when you posted it or, even better, when one displays it? That was, in large part, what I wanted to discuss with you, how to make it, if it wasn't already, really live as of last update, data.

When I post is seconds from live data. But if you go to the links I usually include, the spreadsheet and its charts are always current. I do have to perform a routine to incorporate new users' data to the charts data set, but I've been doing that several times a day.

That's great.

it has literally nothing to do with what I said though.

He agrees with me that FSD is entirely software.

He still claims that adding it after the car is built (but not delivery) means I lose the VIN I have assigned and I go back into the queue for some other car at some unknown future date.

Except, not.

Because what the page actually says is the price goes up after delivery

I'm asking them to add it before delivery.

And the delivery advisory is telling me he literally can't add it at all without me losing this car and going back into the queue.

His statement makes no sense. We both agree it makes no sense. But I have no way to make him add it if he refuses, which is what he's doing.

I'm reporting what I was personally told. No 'alleged' happening at all. I can forward you the actual tesla email if you're really that dubious.
You do realize I spent a full career in software engineering? I doubt you did and I know your inside delivery advisor didn't.
So party on Garth!

You do realize I spent a full career in software engineering? I doubt you did and I know your inside delivery advisor didn't.
So party on Garth!
Unless you spent part of that time working for Tesla I don’t see how that makes you capable of determining how their systems work. All I see coming from you is a lot of unsubstantiated assertions.

Agreed. I originally thought there was a chance they'd beat my original Sep-Nov timeline but those hopes are fast fading. Thinking October at the earliest now for a 4/1 res. At the end of the day all that matters is before Dec 31.

Despite a very good chance of them hitting their original window, this process has still been very frustrating. It's weird how tight lipped they're being and how much conflicting information comes from calling up. If you ask me, asking someone to commit to a $70k purchase and only giving a vague 3 month window they may or may not hit is a pretty poor way of doing business. Yeah, growing pains and all, but when other manufacturers catch up in the ev race (and they eventually will), this is the kind of stuff that will get people to vote with their wallets. At some point it won't be worth the hassle, so they HAVE to figure out how to make this experience better.
I really don't think Tesla will be doing this once the "bubble" is over. If they do, I agree 100% that it will be a huge detractor in the market. I think most of us are only waiting because it's the only of its kind out there.

I agree @Ron Kerensky, but if you.are referring to getting all reservations done, That is still 9 months or more out. So they can keep messing with people for a while by that notion. Once they are back to only having normal orders like S & X today there will be no tracking spreadsheets and daily delivery posts, so there won’t be the info to drive frustration.

Honestly, I fear it will take competitive products available to drive a behavior change. Unfortunately, it will be 2-4 years till truly comparable cars from others will get to market. Even worse, at least today, there is no sign that any large scale fast charging network would be compatible with those cars. So those cars would be commuters only, or they need to have 500-600 mile ranges. Most Americans won’t be burdened with dealing with long charge times while traveling. Even this car will only be my commuter car, and for a rare longer trip for fun.

So Tesla has no rush to fix their processes and we are a captive group of customers. I will wait, sorta patiently but not silently, because I am confident that I will love the car in the end. I hate driving ICE vehicles after a couple years with the I3. Really, I bet less that 5% of people would wait years for a product with money down, then further put more money down, and finally jump ship 2 months before delivery. That is asking someone to cut off their own hand at this point, so it annoys me to hear people make comments like “speak with your wallet.” We all are, just not to Tesla. We are telling the other auto markers to get off their asses, because there are a lot of customers available for the taking, but you better blow us away.

All said, this is by far the longest I have ever waited for anything in my life, so I’m not conditioned for such. I guess we all need to follow my old bosses advice and “toughen up buttercup.”

You do realize I spent a full career in software engineering? I doubt you did

Then once again you are factually wrong while also completely not understanding the actual problem being described

Which makes me really glad you're not one of the software engineers I work with daily- who unlike you actually listen to the problem described.

and I know your inside delivery advisor didn't.
So party on Garth!

Not sure how that's relevant Wayne.

Then again literally nothing you've said about this has been relevant.

The DA agrees it's entirely software

But also states he can not add FSD to an already built car without reassigning the VIN.

Hell, I quoted him doing both directly to you in the last post.

Repeatedly telling him he's stupid won't change the fact he refuses to do anything other than what he stated.

If you have an actual solution that demonstrates you finally understand the actual problem that'd be great.

My hopes aren't especially high in that regard based on your previous posts however.

@Knightshade don’t try to get @wcorey to see your point by making sense, or he’ll add you to his ignore list! Oh wait, that’s a good thing. (I’m on his ignore list. Or at least I hope I am so my posts won’t be among those he trolls.)

Anyway, this b.s. about giving up your VIN to add EAP is unreal. Are you at the stage where you’re communicating with the actual delivery center? Maybe when this clown hands you off to them you can request it. Alternatively, ask to talk to this guy’s supervisor (ideally with examples of customers who were permitted to do this)?

To be clear- I'm talking about FSD not EAP- though both should work the same way since they're both just software.

I'm talking to my "inside sales advisor" according to his email sig.... I expect I won't be put in touch with the actual DC until I have a scheduled delivery date? (the ISA guy told me on Aug 20 my car "is traveling from Fremont, CA to Birmingham, AL (where our regional hub caters to the Southeast) for the first leg of its journey"- so I'd hope this would be soon, how slow is that train anyway?

That's why my plan is to try and get the DC to add FSD since this guy insists it's impossible for him to do so without me losing this particular car and going back into queue- despite him agreeing that makes no actual sense since it's purely software.

Hello everyone! First time ever posting on this forum, first put down $1,000 on April first, 2016 and ordered it June 30th, 2018 in order to have premium connectivity for life. Got a call a week and a half ago and have put a down payment already and my pick up is this Thursday August 30! (MSM, Non-p, long range AWD, EPA, Black premium interior) I named her S’|’orm.

Ever since I’ve heard about Tesla vehicles I’ve wanted one, I currently own a Honda S2000 (picture attached), which sadly I believe I’ll have to sell which will be a sad day. Deciding on parting it out myself as I’ll get much more value for the car. I own it but the insurance is too much for a car I’ll hardly ever drive.

I must say I’ve been very happy with customer service so far, hoping they don’t suddenly delay my delivery in the next 24 hours lol. But the reason I’m happy apart from this suddenly delivery time (expected was Oct-Dec) is because I had changed my order about 7 times after my initial order.

I was told I could change it as much as I wanted before I got a VIN but did not know your price could change...suddenly the price went up $1,500 after switching and then back to the same setup...the AWD had gone up $1,000 and MSM $500 so I was very upset and tried to get answers from local Tesla store but I had to wait to speak with an advisor. In a matter of minutes he made a claim duento my original order date and they changed it all back to the original pricing without hesitation and then gave me the shock delivery time, so needless to say...very happy.

He also then helped me change my delivery to NJ to get the amazing EV incentive, no sales tax. less than 48 hours to go before my 10:30am appointment time, absolutely can’t wait and looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of you in the future! The S2000 family was incredible, hoping for the same here.

I'm also from NY picking up in NJ with the same config. As far as I know we folks can't take advantage of that no sales tax incentive because you pay that tax on what state you register your car to. If you have found a way around this LMK AND SAVE ME 5K!!!

Reactions: C141medic
To be clear- I'm talking about FSD not EAP- though both should work the same way since they're both just software.

I'm talking to my "inside sales advisor" according to his email sig.... I expect I won't be put in touch with the actual DC until I have a scheduled delivery date? (the ISA guy told me on Aug 20 my car "is traveling from Fremont, CA to Birmingham, AL (where our regional hub caters to the Southeast) for the first leg of its journey"- so I'd hope this would be soon, how slow is that train anyway?

That's why my plan is to try and get the DC to add FSD since this guy insists it's impossible for him to do so without me losing this particular car and going back into queue- despite him agreeing that makes no actual sense since it's purely software.
I was told the DC has way more ability to work with you then the ISA. That’s their job to fill in the gap between original information at order and the actual information at delivery. And I have heard of at least EAP being added by ISA While dollars where being finalized.

I really don't think Tesla will be doing this once the "bubble" is over. If they do, I agree 100% that it will be a huge detractor in the market. I think most of us are only waiting because it's the only of its kind out there.

Exactly. Look at how RWD orders work now. You can place an order today and probably have the car in a couple weeks. Same will happen with AWD once all the reservations are filled. I would expect a similar situation once they open up the SR battery config. Once they churn through ALL the reservations I would expect ordering to hit a somewhat steady state mid CY19.

As a current owner I could grumble about Tesla dropping owner priority or I can sit back and relax, knowing I'll get my car sometime between Sept - Nov :)

Reactions: Ron Kerensky